*"Physical Activity/Exercise Support Thread"*

Page 5 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2012, 12:24 am

I attempted capoeira on Saturday after my other performance since a grupo were playing around. My wrists are way too weak though, and my upper body strength isn't what it used to be either - I managed bananeira and aú batido but I wouldn't have been able to told it for as long as I used to.

Looks like I'm going to have to do some free weights to come back up to scratch. Not sure where to start on the wrists though.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2012, 7:51 am

Kjas wrote:
I attempted capoeira on Saturday after my other performance since a grupo were playing around. My wrists are way too weak though, and my upper body strength isn't what it used to be either - I managed bananeira and aú batido but I wouldn't have been able to told it for as long as I used to.

Looks like I'm going to have to do some free weights to come back up to scratch. Not sure where to start on the wrists though.

Wrist curls and rotations.

Wrist stretch 1.
Get on your knees and put your hands out in front of you but level with your shoulders, now have your fingertips pointed towards you so they are facing your body now sit on your heels slowly and you should feel a good stretch in the wrist, hold this for about a minute or two but don't push it too far.

Wrist stretch 2.
Another one is to get on your hand and knees with a neutral spine and point your fingertips outwards from each other so have one left and right and move your bodyweight to each wrist for 10 seconds.

It sounds complicated but if you try it, it's quite simple.

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2012, 12:08 pm

Yesterday was 15 pages and 30 push and sit ups. Today I have a surprise hangover and a 4 hour course at 4 in the afternoon on passing medication for my new job, so I'm gonna skip the writing and take the extra set for 45 today.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2012, 2:50 pm

Thanks Wolf, I'll give it a go.

My wrists have always been weak, they're too small abd fragile to be any use for this sort of thing - it's a PITA.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 5:29 am

Kjas wrote:
Thanks Wolf, I'll give it a go.

My wrists have always been weak, they're too small abd fragile to be any use for this sort of thing - it's a PITA.

You are welcome :) Too bad you don't live in South East England as I could give you a few tips and pointers in how to get that stamina up :P.

J-Greens
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 8:15 am

ouinon wrote:
J-Greens, what questions do you have? I'm keeping my routine really simple, at home, about 25-40 minutes each time, using lots of free videos mostly on YouTube, cardio, bodyweight/core, weight-lifting, callanetics and stretching, ( videos ranging from very short but very useful, at 5 minutes, through 10 to 45 minute ones ), and a few weights.

The biggest question I have is, what shoes do I buy? I'm looking at budgeting in case it all goes wrong, but when it comes to shoes, the advice is what I do I need them for, which I don't know. I've never been in a gym before and thus I don't know if I need supports or cushioning. It's all confusing.

I've cycled casually in almost any footwear, not a specific type of shoe.

What's also daunting is that this mini-interview that I got asked for when I went up to sign up for membership last time and it put me off. I may goto the one in town next time and see if they ask the same.

As much as youtube is great, I don't want to risk injury or poor form by trying it at home.

I mean, I want to go out and get going now, but I don't even know where to start. I don't want to turn up at the gym without the right equipment, or worse, the wrong type of equipment, but I don't even know what I need. I've got the essentials in terms of shorts, tee's & towel's, but that's it.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 8:32 am

Wolfheart wrote:
Kjas wrote:

Wrist curls and rotations.

Wrist stretch 1.
Get on your knees and put your hands out in front of you but level with your shoulders, now have your fingertips pointed towards you so they are facing your body now sit on your heels slowly and you should feel a good stretch in the wrist, hold this for about a minute or two but don't push it too far.

Wrist stretch 2.
Another one is to get on your hand and knees with a neutral spine and point your fingertips outwards from each other so have one left and right and move your bodyweight to each wrist for 10 seconds.

It sounds complicated but if you try it, it's quite simple.

Actually, a very good way to increase gripping strength is to invest in a set of hand grips. :)

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 3:33 pm

I think I'll begin using Wolfheart pointers on wrist strenght. Wrists are one of my sticking points when doing tuck planches, which I began doing last week. I'm beginning to stall with bodyweight, but I'm still making some strength gains.

Also, as they say, show, don't tell.

[img][800:600]http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc179/Shatbat/976c59372787538966f011e1cb637f1b.jpg[/img]

I had that photo taken yesterday, and realized how awfully curved my back was. I'm trying to correct it, but I have no way to know at the spot whether I'm doing right without a training partner *sigh* But other than that, yay! Getting there!

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 2:07 am

:D Nice work.

I think you would be able to know if you were in the correct position. When all your core muscles are aligned, it's easy to feel and it also makes holding yourself significantly easier if you lock in your core and shoulder muscles.

IrishTusk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Aug 2012, 8:57 am

I used to go to the Gym 5 days a week for about four months stright I went from getting tired from five KG to doing 7.5 - 10 and 12 kg with my Free weight routines. However as I got a job I couldn't go to the gym at the time my pal was and I don't own a Ipod or mp3 so I get really demotivated at the gym. Just bought This however >Clicky to help spurr me into training more oftian at home. My only achivement of note is that when I started I struggled with push ups, now I can do chin ups yay

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 2:53 am

Started weighing myself again. I'm down around ten pounds after some carb-induced weight gain last month.
My mom's coming Tuesday, though, and I'd like to be wearing some of my nicer clothes,
so I'm considering doing 6 hours on the treadmill tomorrow.

to his Interest."

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 4:49 pm

I practice astanga yoga,run two miles every day,do weights three times a week.However I just slipped on the wet gravelly trail today,got a huge cut,gushing blood,scraped up,so I have to take time off from running to let it heal.You think it's ok for me to walk fast instead? I cannot miss out on beautiful outdoor exercise!