Another NHL lockout on the horizon!! !!

Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

NeXus_Blueliner
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Sep 2012, 7:24 am

I just want my hockey to be on. The year they announce Game Center will be on xbox and I knew straight away I'd get a subscription, this happens!! I don't have much else in my life and I love my hockey every year. The Kings FINALLY win and now I may have to wait longer to see the banner :roll: Only consolation for me is that I'll be getting an early release version of the NHL game. This all just flat out sucks

Canaspie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 10:29 am

new lockout video I came across this morning from some fan in Finland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EWQs3O_IDas

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 8:33 am

Canaspie wrote:
new lockout video I came across this morning from some fan in Finland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EWQs3O_IDas

Nice video, it's a shame Bettman continues to do this to the fans. :x

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 8:53 am

Ah well, I have suffered enough already as an Oilers fan. A lockout might be just what I need to recover from all those last place finishes! I still have my Junior and University hockey to watch so I'm in no rush to see the NHL return at this point.

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 8:02 pm

So. What can we, the fans, do? Since it's the money that talks, how can we make the bigwigs listen. They're right about one thing, we will support our teams because we love the game. If we stay away from the games we're the ones to suffer. Someone will fill the seats. If they take our hockey away, they know a lot of us will be back. What they don't get is that it's because we support the players. We go in spite of the management. In my opinion, hockey players are the least "diva" type players in all of pro sport. They will actually talk to you if you see them in street clothes. They admit they are where they are because of the fans. Why is it that the good guys always have to get slapped down like this. (No Crosby is NOT included in the aforementioned statements. Diva diver, glove slapper, baby!)

How can we show support for our teams, and annoy Bettman?

"Freedom of Speech is Not a License to be Stupid"

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

06 Sep 2012, 7:32 am

I'm just waiting, just saying "I'm waiting" for the season to start...... whenever it will be. Hopefully, the whole season won't get lost.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 7:53 am

2012 must be a bad year for sports. We almost several weeks canceled for football * american * last season, half of the NBA season was lost, baseball was unaffected * it's baseball though *, and now there is a threat of an NHL lockout.

neerdowell
Toucan
Toucan

06 Sep 2012, 9:52 am

I'm just waiting for the season too start. I know I will support the NHL once it returns so I will just continue to wait. Next week I will begin playing NHL 13 so that should keep me busy for awhile plus by playing a video game the Coyotes can the win the Cup!

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 11:18 am

Bad news. Reliable insider info. NO season. We can hope for a change, but this looks BAD. :cry: :hockey: :cry:
(Leaving "insider" name out. Info was obtained "off the record". Unfortunately this is a reliable source.)

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 8:23 am

GreyGirl wrote:
Bad news. Reliable insider info. NO season. We can hope for a change, but this looks BAD. :cry: :hockey: :cry:
(Leaving "insider" name out. Info was obtained "off the record". Unfortunately this is a reliable source.)

I'm not surprised at all, this is the second time Bettman has allowed a lockout to happen under his watch. * 04-05 season *

You know, normally people would be fired for such incompetence. :x

Canaspie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 8:36 am

Brainfre3ze_93 wrote:
GreyGirl wrote:

I'm not surprised at all, this is the second time Bettman has allowed a lockout to happen under his watch. * 04-05 season *

Third time actually - don't forget 1994.

It's not simply Bettman's fault though. He doesn't lock out the players - the owners do. If the owners wanted to, they could tell Bettman to agree to a deal at any time, however they don't because he's doing what they want him to.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 11:49 am

Funny thing is the previous lockout, the owners pretty much got what they wanted. But you eventually saw some loopholes that saw some very dumb contract signings where the first years were very front loaded and the last little bit was nothing because everyone knows by then the player is likely going to be retired. Ilya Kovalchuk, Rick Dipietro, Roberto Luongo, Vincent Lecavalier, Brian Suter, and Zach Parise are notable ones to sign such contracts. Some of these guys *cough Lecaviler, Dipetro, cough* have not quite played up to the standard that is expected of them or even played at all in the last couple years and arguably Luongo as well. There are others that have signed such contracts as well. It is my understanding that this was one issue brought up, which is quite hilarious to think about it. Who is it an issue for? The players are getting their money's worth, but the owners are the one's pressuring to get such deals done as well.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 11:42 am

Canaspie wrote:
Brainfre3ze_93 wrote:
GreyGirl wrote:

It's not simply Bettman's fault though. He doesn't lock out the players - the owners do. If the owners wanted to, they could tell Bettman to agree to a deal at any time, however they don't because he's doing what they want him to.

True. 8)

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 7:46 pm

NeXus_Blueliner wrote:
I just want my hockey to be on. The year they announce Game Center will be on xbox and I knew straight away I'd get a subscription, this happens!! I don't have much else in my life and I love my hockey every year. The Kings FINALLY win and now I may have to wait longer to see the banner :roll: Only consolation for me is that I'll be getting an early release version of the NHL game. This all just flat out sucks

LOVE your avatar!

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 1:47 pm

Canaspie wrote:
Brainfre3ze_93 wrote:
GreyGirl wrote:

I still blame Bettman for the most part. His southern expansions were really f*****g stupid and his stubbornness is why the NHL's management is so horrible. Those markets will collapse under their own weight and this lockout will only make it worse.

Canaspie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 4:50 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
Canaspie wrote:
Brainfre3ze_93 wrote:
GreyGirl wrote:

I still blame Bettman for the most part. His southern expansions were really f***ing stupid and his stubbornness is why the NHL's management is so horrible. Those markets will collapse under their own weight and this lockout will only make it worse.

I don't disagree. My only point is that if the owners didn't like what he was doing, they could fire him. The fact they choose not to indicates that either he's doing what they told him to, or he's managed to convince them (somehow) that he's doing a good job.