Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 3:21 pm

When I was younger I used to really enjoy doing different sports, I remember sports day being one of my favorite events at school. As the years have went on I've went into a bit of a decline when it comes to sport and I think that has affected my mood in a negative way. I will be returning to weight training but also want a fun cardio sport to do as well to experience the best of both. I rule out swimming as there is some aspects I don't like about that and skiing as while I enjoy it, it would be a bit expensive for a regular sport. I jogged briefly but found that very boring. I'd go ice skating but the only rink near me has very limited public opening times. So some suggestions would be welcomed :)

megahertz
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Sep 2012, 3:28 pm

How about cycling? You can ride outdoors, in the fresh air, across the country ... or inside a studio, if you dislike rainy weather. :)

Adventus
Toucan
Toucan

05 Sep 2012, 3:34 pm

Roller skating/roller blading.

Roller Skating: Quad Skates
Roller Blading: Inline Skates

Both can be done outdoors with the right wheels.

Voyageress
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Sep 2012, 3:57 pm

Triathlon - you can train/race forever by yourself and no one really minds!

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 4:17 pm

Racquetball. I've been thinking about taking it back up myself. It's been ages. Of course, I'd have to either look for a racquetball court somewhere or just bounce it against some abandoned building.
Table tennis: You can play this by yourself, too. Some tables bend in half. you can raise up one end 90 degrees and use that as a sparring partner.

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 8:13 pm

I second the roller blading.
I'm not sure of your financial situation, but I think those elliptical bikes seem like a lot of fun.
I'd get one of these if I could afford it.

Indoor/Outdoor elliptical bikes <<<Link Here

"Freedom of Speech is Not a License to be Stupid"

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 9:46 pm

Shooting hoops at the basketball court.

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 11:44 pm

Thank you for your replies everyone, I appreciate the help. I'd reply to all suggestions but don't want to sound too negative. So I'll just cover the one's I like the sound of.

redrobin62 wrote:
Racquetball. I've been thinking about taking it back up myself. It's been ages. Of course, I'd have to either look for a racquetball court somewhere or just bounce it against some abandoned building.
Table tennis: You can play this by yourself, too. Some tables bend in half. you can raise up one end 90 degrees and use that as a sparring partner.

I quite like the sound of racquetball. I did look into it earlier and the nearest courts aren't too local. There is a gym however that is a walk away from me that does tennis and badminton and they pair you off with others and also has the option later on of competitive play which may appeal to me. I may try one of those 2 at some point :)

Pondering wrote:
Shooting hoops at the basketball court.

I actually did enjoy basketball in school, and I was not too bad at it. But because its such a team game to play I'm not sure it would be all that great for me, with the social aspect and all.

GreyGirl wrote:

I'm not sure of your financial situation, but I think those elliptical bikes seem like a lot of fun.

I looked up a video of it in action out of curiosity and it looked quite amusing. It looked like a cross trainer, bicycle hybrid. Probably one I'd try out for fun if I ever saw one for rental.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 11:47 pm

You could always do weightlifting as a sport. Either powerlifting or Olympic lifting. I think Olympic lifting is cool as all hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUl7UqbL3uc

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 11:23 am

When I was younger I would dribble the ball and shoot hoops by myself. This actually benefitted me when I would play with other people, because I focused a lot of my time by myself on learning to dribble in multiple ways, and how to toss the ball in different situations for a better shot. No pressure when you're alone.

Another thing you might enjoy is martial arts. There are plenty to choose from.

NeXus_Blueliner
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2012, 6:27 am

You may look silly to others if you do it anywhere near them but shadow boxing is fantastic. It can really get your heart going. Like others suggested, basketball on your own and table tennis with the table folded.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 8:24 am

Weight lifting.

This fuels an aspie's need for instant gratification. :P

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 11:47 am

Kurgan wrote:
Weight lifting.

This fuels an aspie's need for instant gratification. :P

You gotta do those Olympic lifts.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 4:42 pm

There's so many sports you can do alone! I do swimming, running, strength training, I even consider stuff like yard work to be a sport I can do alone, lol. There's so many ways to exercise alone, both mentally and physically. There's always jumping rope. It's so simple yet so overlooked! It requires little space, not very much equipment and you can do it in any kind of weather because it can be done in your living room.

Then there's stuff like boxer type training where you punch imaginary opponents of bags and such. You can kick box as well. If you want to actually box someone, you can't do that by yourself.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2012, 6:59 am

Take up martial arts, especially one with kata. There might be only a couple of classes a week to endure the presence of others, but the benefits include fitness, and just as importantly, a great source of study of physical movement that you can do at home.

So you might have 10 kata to master before you ever see a black belt. Then there are personal side-studies that tie in but you might do independantly. You could collect dvds on a specific weapon, and try to master it at home. Maybe its own special katas, or its practical applications.

Then there's the allied exercise. Just because everyone knows a martial artist must exercise, doesn't mean all exercises are the same. So there's a world of study of body weight, kettle bells, etc.

So much that can be done in your own back yard.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 10:44 am

I am an ice hockey goalie and that's probably the most individual position in all of team sports. We are seen as oddballs already due to enjoy having vulcanized rubber shot directly at us and almost nobody (including coaches) understands the position so you are left alone. Even in the dressing room people usually leave the goalies alone unless they decide to join in the conversation and many (but certainly not all) are extreme introverts like me so they'll understand an Aspie.

Obviously that's a hard sport to learn but even floor hockey would be great. I know in Canada there are plenty of places to play that and I'm sure other countries are similar.