Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 8:45 pm

It's a constant battle for me. I overdid it on fruit a few nights ago and my jeans are now digging into me-
part of an overall plateau I've been on for a couple weeks now.
The day I don't go for at least half an hour of vigorous exercise, I start to get heavier.
It's hard because my boyfriend and I are on different schedules and it's not safe here to go bike riding, so I have to wait until he gets off work at midnight to go with me, and by then I'm exhausted and half the time I cop out.
Overall, though, my weight has been a lot more consistent in the past few weeks because I've stopped restricting to the point that I would lash out and indulge (that's what caused the fruit incident).
I'm trying to lose ten pounds or close to it by Friday evening (I'm going to a Broadway show and have a beautiful size 2 dress I bought)-
will take a lot of vigorous biking to get there.

to his Interest."

McCat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Sep 2012, 10:02 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I don't find I'm really any more fussy than most other people, although I can hardly stand fruits and veggies that are sour, bitter, cardboardy, bruised, seedy, bug-infested, overripe, underripe, stringy, mushy, dry, and not served in a pie or pastry. :lol:

:D

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 12:23 am

I'm not "picky" per se, at least not because of spectrum-related issues, I just don't eat the things Westerners are obsessed with- animal products (ethics) wheat, corn, potatoes, rice, and oil (calories).
Actually, I have hyposensitivity to taste, which means I'm perfectly happy with pretty much any food other than those, so long as it's doused in a condiment I like. :)

to his Interest."

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 12:58 am

I go to the gym several times a week to lift weights, so I'm quite strong. And I do cardio-exercise occasionally but not nearly as often as I should. Therefore, I'm a bit overweight. Running 3-4 miles without stopping on the treadmill isn't very hard though.

Anyway I think there's probably a connection between AS and weight gain be it mental or physical.

limping2victory
Raven
Raven

02 Oct 2012, 11:43 am

I hate the feeling of being hungry sometimes so I don't skip meals. But then sometimes I do get so involved in something that I skip a meal because I don't want to take the time or bother to eat. When I want to eat, I'm impatient. I want food and not to feel hungry NOW. So I grab junk that's easy to eat. And because I frequently have headaches, no energy and/or feel generally unwell, I don't exercise nearly as much as I should. I know that needs to change because I'm now fat in such a way that I look pregnant. :roll: I've joined the YMCA knowing that even if I only go in a day or two a week, it's still something and much better than now, doing nothing.

The one thing that is good is that my fiancee doesn't seem to be bothered by my weight. Unfortunately, I am and I'm self conscious. I keep anxiously expecting rejection.

I used to be 120 pounds and on the verge of being too thin, now about 210 pounds, by far the most I've ever weighed and I really don't like myself.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2012, 12:32 pm

limping2victory wrote:
I've joined the YMCA knowing that even if I only go in a day or two a week, it's still something and much better than now, doing nothing.

Yes it is but as a fellow YMCA member, let me warn you that if you only go once a week, you are pretty much wasting your time and effort. You don't need to go crazy but you need to be fully committed and be willing to push yourself a bit at first until it becomes more natural. It took me four tries before I finally figured this out and the results have been AMAZING. Now if anything I'm losing too much weight. I try to go about 3-4 times a week minimum and my increase in energy overall more than makes up for the time commitment required.

I know the feeling: I never thought it would be possible to get to the level I am currently at.

limping2victory
Raven
Raven

03 Oct 2012, 11:33 am

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
Yes it is but as a fellow YMCA member, let me warn you that if you only go once a week, you are pretty much wasting your time and effort. You don't need to go crazy but you need to be fully committed and be willing to push yourself a bit at first until it becomes more natural...

I know the feeling: I never thought it would be possible to get to the level I am currently at.

I used to be like you and go to the Y 3-5x/wk. But then I lost any energy I had and began feeling more unwell. I AM committed, and I hope to go 1-2x/wk with the hopes that eventually I'll go more often. But really, SOMETHING is BETTER than nothing for me.

Go 3x/wk or don't go? No, I think I'll go as often as I can, with the hopes that I'll feel well enough or have the oomph to go more often.

limping2victory
Raven
Raven

03 Oct 2012, 11:34 am

GiantHockeyFan wrote:

By the way, I do get the feeling you're trying to be encouraging and I appreciate it but for a while now every day has been a struggle to just go to work let alone do anything else (even fun things) so...

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 2:08 pm

limping2victory wrote:
By the way, I do get the feeling you're trying to be encouraging and I appreciate it but for a while now every day has been a struggle to just go to work let alone do anything else (even fun things) so...

I understand completely. I was YEARS feeling like that and you have no idea how well I can relate to what you are going through. I struggled to even get out of bed most mornings I had so little energy or motivation. I always said 'if I feel better I'll start going to the gym' until I almost hit rock bottom. Make no mistake, it is HARD at first, especially if you were once in better shape in the past like me but the rewards are well worth it. Again, it's something I've heard many times before but never truly understood until I did it. I went once a week and made exactly zero progress. Twice a week? Very little. 3-4 times? Phenomenal results!

For sure start off slow, but you really should be looking to increase both frequency and intensity as soon as you are able in order to get the maximum benefit. Best of luck to you!

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Oct 2012, 10:20 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
I was always at least overweight, and was obese for 7+ years, until I took a prescription weight loss medication,
but I continue to have to keep my calories <500 a day (if I bike).
I'm looking now into pursuing thyroid treatment.

D: Considering that you're consuming a starvation amount of calories, don't you feel really rough physically/mentally?

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 3:20 pm

antifeministfrills wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
I was always at least overweight, and was obese for 7+ years, until I took a prescription weight loss medication,
but I continue to have to keep my calories <500 a day (if I bike).
I'm looking now into pursuing thyroid treatment.

D: Considering that you're consuming a starvation amount of calories, don't you feel really rough physically/mentally?

You quoted me and then ignored what you quoted...

Considering that I consume the number I do because for me, it does NOT cause starvation, and is in fact needed just to maintain,
any physical/mental ailments I have are likely exogenously-related, IE, the same thing that causes my slow metabolism causes those symptoms.
When I eat more (overindulged today, for instance) I feel far worse- sluggish and bloated.

to his Interest."

Melangey

09 Feb 2015, 10:06 pm

Fnord wrote:
IrishTusk wrote:
Quote:
obese, anorexic, or something in between.
So basicly, what you said is if you've AS your just like every one else...

BINGO!! ! That is exactly my point, and you are very astute to have picked up on it!

There is no more of a connection between being an Aspie and having weight problems than there is between being an Entie and having weight problems.

Although, if anyone should find valid empirical evidence (e.g., peer-reviewed medical studies) to the contrary, I'd be happy to change my position.

There have been many studies linking weight problems, dietary problems, and eating disorders to people on the spectrum.

I don't know about empirical evidence... that's a mighty big claim, even even in science.

I can say, personally, I have many food sensitivities so I've always struggled with weight and ONLY after finding out I have Asperger's has my weight been a constant, healthy number. I eat a healthy number of calories from fresh, organic home cooked meals and I get sleep and exercise. So, I can only say it's the AS. Or SYMPTOMS thereof...

Such as anxiety, depression, stress, lack of moderation, distractibility, naivety, et al.

Undiagnosed autism, I can say, lead me to stress eating. Depression, anxiety, and other mood disorders -- all things AS people experience more often than NT people. Not to discount NT suffering, but strong sensitivity to gastrointestinal issues has also been linked to AS people. As well as sleep studies that are AS specific.

I'll drum up links so you can see, but I read most of this is Scientific American Mind, Psychology Today, or Autism journals at my college that can't be removed from my library. So I can't exactly show them to you.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 9:45 pm

I'm a female with Aspergers and I'm terrified of weight gain and refuse to weigh anything more than 230 pounds. I know my body will eventually change, but I'm trying to enjoy youth while I have it before I become some ugly old hag.

That's why I love clothes and shopping so much. I was questioning taking an antidepressant, but decided not to because of the possible weight gain.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Commander_Ashtar
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Feb 2015, 10:01 pm

I am overweight and have no real problems with it, though I used to try to loose some weight. During last summer I lost roughly 15 pounds without doing anything but have regained them and more since some months.

But everywhere there should be limits; I would never let it happen to get morbidly obese or when people are so fat they can't walk anymore, something is definatelely totally wrong.

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Feb 2015, 8:44 am

I don't know whether there is a direct relation between Asperger's or ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) and weight.

I was well overweighted for a long time but I didn't look really fat. A few months ago I thought it was time to lose weight and also how to do it. I often liked eating sugary waffles, but I quitted eating them and then look at my weight. Other measures are less drastic: just eating less than what I was used to.

I started with 92.2 kg (202 pounds) but now I am about 83 kg (183 pounds). The weight I want to reach at least is 81 kg (178 pounds). So I am not far from that anymore.

I don't follow a weight losing diet, but I cut out eating candies and waffles, and decreased eating pies, chips and drinking beer and cola. I deliberately do this, because I would get weight problems when I once reach the desired weight of 81 kg. The hard work to lose weight would have been in vain; so I want to avoid that.

To put a long story short: I am losing weight, and I am on the right track.

Purplepolkadots
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Mar 2015, 7:23 pm

It really does generally depend.
I'm about 15 pounds overweight, as is the rest of my biological family.
I have three adopted siblings, and they are all in some of the lowest percentiles for weight, and that's even with my mum shoving food down their throats at every chance.
I'm an extremely healthy eater because if I eat anything processed, I get extremely bad diarrhea and cramps. I also generally spend an average of 16 hours outside in our forest everyday.
When the doctor was told of my daily habits (and after he realised we weren't lying), he told me that he was surprised that I'm not stick thin. My adopted siblings spend a good portion of their day inside (they're naughty), and they eat larger portions than me, yet people ask if they are sick!
I'm set to go for testing for a digestive and/or thyroid disorder testing, so we'll see what that says.