Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 6:51 pm

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.asp ... id=1555137

Quote:
Conclusions and Relevance Relative to normal weight, both obesity (all grades) and grades 2 and 3 obesity were associated with significantly higher all-cause mortality. Grade 1 obesity overall was not associated with higher mortality, and overweight was associated with significantly lower all-cause mortality.

Moderately overweight (not obese) people are actually healthier on average, as measured by all-cause mortality, than 'normal' weight people.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 9:20 pm

I can't wait til we stop pathologizing a condition that doesn't involve any actual disease process.
The equivocation between obesity and dietary-related illnesses as if the relationship is causal as opposed to correlational is getting old, and a lot of people are suffering because of it.

to his Interest."

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 1:39 pm

Lol, I'm sitting at a 28.5 BMI, at 17% bodyfat, doctor sees me and first thing he says "Well, you're looking good." LOL at BMI being a measure of anything. Bodyfat measurements are much better measuring sticks, as it accounts for different bodytypes better.

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 8:20 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
I can't wait til we stop pathologizing a condition that doesn't involve any actual disease process.
The equivocation between obesity and dietary-related illnesses as if the relationship is causal as opposed to correlational is getting old, and a lot of people are suffering because of it.

Could you please clarify your position? Did you intend to state that obesity is not a causal factor in dietary-related illness?

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 3:22 am

invisiblesilent wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

Could you please clarify your position? Did you intend to state that obesity is not a causal factor in dietary-related illness?

Read the study linked in the OP. Overweight is protective; grade-one obesity is not a detriment. Only at higher grades of obesity does one begin to see negative effects on mortality, and that is only a correlation (ie, chowing down on too many cookies and too many burgers causes both diabettes and obesity; the latter does not necessarily cause the former, any more than roosters crowing cause the sun to rise).

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 5:41 am

1000Knives wrote:
Lol, I'm sitting at a 28.5 BMI, at 17% bodyfat, doctor sees me and first thing he says "Well, you're looking good." LOL at BMI being a measure of anything. Bodyfat measurements are much better measuring sticks, as it accounts for different bodytypes better.
Exactly. This BMI thing drives me nuts, as it's completely meaningless. My BMI puts me within the overweight category, but my body fat is well within the healthy range, I don't look fat and I wear small clothes (my weight comes from muscle). People with a normal BMI can end up with a false sense of security, because they've no clue that they're carrying excess fat around their middle.

aashton
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jan 2013, 1:59 am

I was also overweight but I took some precaution and now my body is in perfect shape. I has started to drink 4 ltr water daily and get rid of my improper eating habit.