Now we have to be worried about microwave popcorn.

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

mattarga
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Mar 2013, 9:45 am

I wasn't sure if this belong in this particular forum, but I felt it was necessary because I felt it was important enough to share, I read it just a while ago on Yahoo Health:

Scary Facts About Microwave Popcorn

The part that jumped out at me was this:

Quote:
Like many fast-food packaging, most microwavable popcorn bags are coated with perfluorochemicals, or PFCs, a class of chemicals linked to various cancers and reproductive system damage. Food manufacturers add the obesity-promoting chemicals to bags to make them more greaseproof, even though these chemicals have been linked to thyroid disease and ADHD, among other ills.

If that's not alarming, I don't know what is. I have to wonder if eating popcorn out of those bags caused me to get ADHD along with already having Aspergers. I don't know what to think!!

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 10:34 am

Yes, that is worrisome. Thanks for the link. While PFC's are really bad, it's doubtful they 'cause' ADHD, but there certainly are health risks!

Ironically, it's just come to my attention that I probably should not drinking water from my plastic water bottle. I like having my water bottle handy at my desk but as your link illustrated, plastic bottles probably aren't OK. Now people are using 'old fashioned' glass bottles, which is a smart alternative. I looked at the related link about non-stick cookware too 8O Yikes.

Guess we'll be making popcorn the old way, yes?

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 11:20 am

Thank you for posting this. You reminded me that I'd been wondering about that stuff recently. The smell of it always seems to hurt my nose a little. I'm going back to popping it on the stove in a big stainless steel pot. And putting melted butter on it. A side note is that coconut oil tastes really good on popcorn and is apparently healthier than butter.

ablomov
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Mar 2013, 12:12 pm

and i suppose you already know abt the dangers of aluminium cooking pots/ alzheimers etc .... i wonder what they use in school canteens ...

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Mar 2013, 12:29 pm

While there is truth to certain chemicals causing health problems, there is also moderation in all things. We can't live a life in a bubble, so the smart thing, in my opinion, is to focus on the big picture with regard to eating, and not dwell on one or two evils to be avoided, or on an absolute avoidance of anything. In other words, know what's what, but if you feel like having some microwave popcorn, go for it, but do so in moderation.

Charles

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 12:52 pm

Not to mention cooking stuff in the microwave is unhealthy anyways....Yes I've done it like everyone else but I realize its not very healthy, probably does have a cancer risk in itself hell I refer to using the microwave as 'nuking' my food. I try to rely on the oven, stove and toaster oven but if I am super hungry and can't wait to cook something that way I microwave it.

It does not suprise me in the least the popcorn bags would have unhealthy chemicals in them, never liked the stuff anyways since it tastes weird I always prefer stove top popcorn.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 1:03 pm

ablomov wrote:
and i suppose you already know abt the dangers of aluminium cooking pots/ alzheimers etc .... i wonder what they use in school canteens ...

I don't want to get off the original topic, but there is actually no proof of a connection between Alzheimer's and aluminum. The research isn't conclusive. Very often, the brains of those with Alzheimer's tend to reveal aluminum plaques, but not always, and these plaques have also been found in people without Alzheimer's. Further, if there is a link, then a cause and effect hasn't been established, meaning that people with Alzheimer may be more likely to develop them, rather than the other way around. Even those medical researchers who believe that aluminum plays a role say that other factors, such as genes and diet, are more significant.

But, more on the topic, I really don't worry about these types of things at all, because first of all, I would go crazy, literally, and secondly, I eat a fairly natural and wholesome diet. I try to avoid processed food and sketchy prep techniques, but even when I don't, I still don't worry, because worry is a useless and potentially harmful emotion, which is often MORE harmful than ingesting or inhaling a nasty chemical (which on it's own is a dice roll when it come to how much it may or may not harm you).

questor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 2:21 pm

There is a solution to those harmful plastics. If you have a food that you want to microwave, take it out of the plastic container or plastic bag it came in, and put it in a microwave safe glass or ceramic dish, or on a paper plate. And yes, as Sweetleaf says, my family has also always referred to microwaving, as "nuking" the food. :lol:

I've been taking stuff out of plastic to microwave them, myself lately. I am also planning on buying cookware without non stick coatings. My parents happened to buy some of the furniture and the kitchen ware that the previous owner had, when they bought this old trailer that they rent to me. The non stick cookware is old and worn, and I don't think that coating is safe. So, it's time for an upgrade! :D

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 3:18 pm

I like cooking with cast iron pans....when they haven't been washed out with soap but of course it always happens at my moms house, unless I scrape it and rinse it after using it and put it away so no one 'washes' it but then my moms boyfriend might come along grab a pan to use and think it's 'dirty' and wash it.....then crap sticks to them and the food doesn't taste right.

As technology advances people suck more and more at actually making food.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 4:02 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I like cooking with cast iron pans....when they haven't been washed out with soap but of course it always happens at my moms house, unless I scrape it and rinse it after using it and put it away so no one 'washes' it but then my moms boyfriend might come along grab a pan to use and think it's 'dirty' and wash it.....then crap sticks to them and the food doesn't taste right.

As technology advances people suck more and more at actually making food.

Indeed.

Anyway, microwave popcorn, why? Go buy an air popper or use a pan. The fake butter of popcorn makes me sorta sick feeling, I don't like it, so meh.

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 4:38 pm

Anything processed isn't good for you and will have negative health effects. I got rid of my microwave, a year ago. I mainly used it to reheat my coffee and my lunches at work. Honestly, I don't even miss it.

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 11:14 pm

I second the air popper, that's what I've got. My only problem is that I don't always put the bowl under right and the popcorn hits it and flies out at me. Hubby thinks it's a riot watching me duck and cover to avoid the flying snacks.

"Freedom of Speech is Not a License to be Stupid"

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 11:23 pm

Any form of cooking changes the molecular structure of food.

Raw vegetables contain e. coli and tetanus bacteria.

I gave up popcorn for sex.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

jdbob
Toucan
Toucan

03 Mar 2013, 11:46 pm

I do cheap microwave popcorn. I take 1/4 cup of popcorn, 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt, and 1 teaspoon of olive oil and put it in one of those brown lunchbags. Shake a bit and microwave until rapid popping stops (seems to be about 20 seconds earlier than the popcorn setting on my microwave).

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2013, 2:29 am

I have a popcorn machine; I will live FOREVAH.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I