First time doing Yoga, what to expect?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Dwarvyn
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Mar 2016, 6:31 am

My current therapist suggested a 'Yoga for Anxiety' workshop for me to try. It's a 'no experience required' workshop. I've been doing a bunch of reading on what to expect, and what's expected of me. http://www.stressstop.com/blog/read-entry.php?eid=19 helped a lot, and I had to go out and get a pair of pants as all I own are jeans.

I'm fine with people touching me, but I don't do moist or gooey (creams/sunscreens/gels/etc) feelings. I should be able to tolerate my own sweat, but I can't touch other people if either of us is sweaty.

Smell is the sense that usually sets me off; natural human smells (sweat, etc) are usually fine, but chemically smells like air fresheners or cleaning products and floral scents (natural or artificial) are an issue.

My other big triggers are taste related, but that is unlikely to come up in this situation I would think, as long as the water and bottle it's in are acceptable, which I have control over.

Glare can get to me, but most normal indoor lighting is totally fine.

We are allowed to bring a support person with us to make it less stressful.

Are there any tips for a first timer that could help? I'm not in the worst shape I've ever been (got a dog that needs walking about 1.5 years ago), but I wouldn't say I'm in good shape at all. Though I did learn (while trying out pants for this) that I can touch my toes quite easily; hurts, but I can actually do it.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2016, 8:42 pm

After a back injury I found Gentle Yoga great.
That was a couple of years ago.

A week ago I tried Yoga Flow. It was more challenging. I've been 3 more times. It is still challenging but I stopped watching the clock and thinking I'd not finish the class.
I also found it easier in my bare feet. And to take breaks in something called Child's pose.
I'm sensitive to smells
I had no problem so far except real sore the first next day and less each time.
I'm going back.
I find I like the ending relaxation as it is extreme opposite of the previous moving 45 minutes.
That's been my experience.

justin_havu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 May 2016, 1:52 pm

There are different kinds of Yoga moves: some target strength, others flexibility, and others relaxation (such as the aforementioned child pose, and the crocodile pose.) Give it a try, and see if it's something you like. Remember, once you know the poses, you can mix and match them, and come up with a routine that works for what you want.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2016, 9:44 pm

I've been going for about 6 times now.
Each time the teacher offers alternative poses and modifications.

It is a safe and understanding environment. Also much more peaceful music than spin/ cycle classes. (I'd been going to them 3 times a week and getting bored and music becoming to over stimulating)

MattHughe
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Dec 2020, 4:01 pm

expect you to get very tired but feel better mentally

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2020, 8:01 pm

Dwarvyn wrote:
First time doing Yoga, what to expect?
Flatulence.

You will be flexing and extending your abdominal muscles, which always seems to get things moving inside.

Including digestive gases.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.