Could I do heavy weights after school,then(alternate nights

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 7:52 pm

Apparently so.

" During the maximum strength phase, when you are primarily using the ATP/CP energy pathway, daily training is possible because ATP/CP restoration is completed within 24 hours. If you are training for muscular endurance (muscle definition) then you require a 48 hour recovery as this is how long it takes to fully restore your glycogen stores (Gollnick et al. 1974)[3].

As a 'rule of thumb' 48 hours should elapse between sessions. If training strenuously, any athlete will find it extremely difficult to maintain the same level of lifting at each session, and the total poundage lifted in each session would be better to be varied (e.g. a high, low and medium volume session) each week."
http://www.brianmac.co.uk/weight.htm

whaddaya think?

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 9:30 pm

I think if you can work through muscle soreness, you can train a lot more frequently. The only problem I had during my days when I'd just load the bar up and try for a new max like everyday (Broz/Bulgarianish style) is you mentally feel like crap. But even yesterday for example, during the morning I did 5x5 overhead press and 5x5 bench after. So 50 reps aside from warmups. That night I went for a max and set a PR in the overhead press with 50 reps under me.

It's really more mental. Unless you're losing desire to train/getting super depressed and hating everything, you probably can do more lifting. Also eating, too. Gotta eat, eating will work to make you lift more, guaranteed, but the only caveat is you can get fat.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 5:15 pm

1000Knives wrote:
I think if you can work through muscle soreness, you can train a lot more frequently. The only problem I had during my days when I'd just load the bar up and try for a new max like everyday (Broz/Bulgarianish style) is you mentally feel like crap. But even yesterday for example, during the morning I did 5x5 overhead press and 5x5 bench after. So 50 reps aside from warmups. That night I went for a max and set a PR in the overhead press with 50 reps under me.

It's really more mental. Unless you're losing desire to train/getting super depressed and hating everything, you probably can do more lifting. Also eating, too. Gotta eat, eating will work to make you lift more, guaranteed, but the only caveat is you can get fat.

KInda feel this way too but gotta trust scientific analysis more than simple intuition...trainer tells me @least 2 nights of sleep, entire calendar day in between, i.e. Monday night then Wednesday morning.
Conventional wisdom generally echoes this statement; was asking for comments on the quoted statement...some science-y sh!t, not just "well if it herps your derps"