Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Brianruns10
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2013, 12:33 pm

Hey All,

My problem is like many, in that I'm a picky eater. On the one hand, this is proven fortunate, as I avoid a lot of unhealthy foods, and I've even had a caffeinated drink, let alone gotten addicted to coffee or soda.

But there are good things too I can't manage to eat. Most fruits for one, nearly all veggies for another. I'm trying new things, but I just can't keep it down...the food makes me gag and ruins my appetite, and I wind up just feeling ashamed and hating myself for just not being a goddamn normal person instead of this weirdo freak who can't eat veggies.

It's become a growing problem because I fear any social occasion where there is a meal, because I have no options as to what I can eat, and I get dreadfully self conscious when I cannot eat what is served me. I stayed with friends on a trip once, and one of them cooked for us, and I just couldn't put down more than a few spoonfuls before I started getting sick to my stomach. So now every time I get invited to a dinner party it causes me anxiety and I try to avoid the situation, which just isolates me further.

I've gotten to where I have an almost compulsive need to eat alone, because I feel so ashamed of my limited palette. I'll make up some excuse, and then eat later when I'm alone in my apartment and I'm safe to have that grilled cheese and soup, or chicken and applesauce.

What can I do? How can I overcome my diet? How can I be FREAKING NORMAL? I swear, if I could give up everything that made me special, if I could be utterly mundane and average, but be NORMAL with normal tastes and normal interests, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

OnPorpoise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 May 2013, 2:44 pm

Do you take vitamin supplements to make up for what you're probably missing by not eating fruits or vegetables? Though apple sauce counts as a fruit. And if you eat soup, does any of it have veggies in it? Most soups do. Potatoes are veggies too.

There's no such thing as normal. There are no rules for eating. I'm not as picky as I used to be (I've been eating food that's touched other food on the same plate for a couple of years now :D), but I'm still pretty picky and I usually fill up on the food that I want to eat.

Eat what you want and how you want in public, at least in restaurants. Let other people look on it as a harmless eccentricity. Or let them think you have some weird food allergies. At dinner parties, if the hosts are close enough friends, maybe you could explain beforehand what you can eat?

It's good to keep trying new foods though. You never know, you may come across some foods you'll love. And tastes do change. I eat a few things now I didn't like when I was younger.

McCat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jun 2013, 2:59 pm

I understand what you're saying, I'm having the same problem, though it's been getting better the last few months.

Using the food allergy excuse, like 'OnPorpoise' is saying, is very useful for me aswell! :)

Since Januari though, I've been drinking green smoothies. You should look that up.

I find it MUCH easier to get something healthy in when I've put it in the blender first. It's very scary to try that first time, but you can always try, right?

After making green smoothies for like a month, I got used to it, I tried fruits and green vegetables I didn't really like, but everything tastes better this way. I also get used to the taste a bit more and I with some vegatables it's easier to eat them now. Not cooked though. Everything raw. (Only green vegetables).

Not saying it will definitely work for you, but it's working fine for me and trying won't hurt :)

Good luck!

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 4:34 pm

McCat wrote:

After making green smoothies for like a month, I got used to it, I tried fruits and green vegetables I didn't really like, but everything tastes better this way. I also get used to the taste a bit more and I with some vegatables it's easier to eat them now. Not cooked though. Everything raw. (Only green vegetables).

Not saying it will definitely work for you, but it's working fine for me and trying won't hurt :)

Good luck!

I've always been interested in trying green smoothies, but can you mix them well in a garden variety blender? I always see the four hundred dollar blenders recommended, so I've never tried them yet.

My youngest is extremely picky, so he drinks Pediasure supplements. The adult version is Ensure.

McCat

17 Jun 2013, 1:32 am

I've got a 40 euro blender. Works great!
Before this I used a really cheap one of only 20 euro.
I bought the other one because I really wanted an ice crusher and the cheap one didn't have that.

So no worries, just use the cheap one! It just has to blend :)

I've never heard of those Ensure supplements, so I looked it up. It has indeed a lot of good vitamines and all in,
but it also has a lot of not so good additives. I believe that's what it's called in english (not sure)
Does it taste good?

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2013, 5:50 am

Thanks, I'm going to give it a whirl this week. :wink:

The drink supplements tend to have a metallic taste, and a lot of sugar to try to mask it. I wouldn't recommend them unless you need something on the go.

McCat

17 Jun 2013, 5:59 am

I'm curious to hear what you think!

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2013, 2:30 pm

Eggs contain almost all the nutrients found in all vegetables, save for vitamin C and fiber (most people get too much of both).

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 12:07 pm

McCat wrote:
I'm curious to hear what you think!

Not bad. :D I didn't have fresh ginger on hand, so tried pickled ginger instead though. Not doing that one again...

This is what I tried...
3 leaves kale
1 banana
3 peaches
1 tbl tahini
fresh ginger :mrgreen:
1 cup apple juice