Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 1:23 am

auntblabby wrote:
khaoz wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
khaoz wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
8O

I was assigned to the 47th Field hospital in Ft Sill, which is the ancestor unit of 4077th MASH from tv series fame. It was a real unit. We trained to respond to whatever catastrophe of instability was going on in the world at the time., from the refugee assignments to erthquakes to floods, to even loading up and waiting for orders to respond to the Iran hostage incident in which the helicopters crashed in the desert. We were called off and told to unload just hours after the crashes. That unit had the assignment to be prepared to pack up a 200 bed surgical field hospital and deploy to any location in the world with 24 hours.

strack for sure. :thumleft:

It would seem strack but we were just like the people in the TV series, drunk, stoned, crazy. They sent us to train in Texas at another old abandoned base and we would get drunk at night and drive water buffalo truck into San Antonio, or use deuce and a half trucks to try and herd cows in nearby fields. We were all stoned one night out in the middle of nowhere in our tents and had a CSM E9 chasing 4 of us around in the dark with his 45 drawn from his holster. He never did indicate that he knew who we were but I don't know how he could not have known. We were notorious partiers, just like on the TV show.

I would not have wanted to be that E9 who probably saw his career in flames in front of his eyes.

Hey we were partiers but we always got the job done. Work first. Mission first, then party, that's how we always got away with it

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 1:30 am

khaoz wrote:
Hey we were partiers but we always got the job done. Work first. Mission first, then party, that's how we always got away with it

I just wonder how you were able to drag yourself out of the rack at 0-dark-thirty after all that partying?

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 1:50 am

auntblabby wrote:
khaoz wrote:

I just wonder how you were able to drag yourself out of the rack at 0-dark-thirty after all that partying?

Sometimes we never met the rack. Sometimes for days on end we would party, but always made formation in the morning and rarely missed days. We were young then, most of us just 19-20 yo, and I have never been assigned to a military hospital that did PT in the morning. Just the annual PT test, and back then, at that age, if you couldn't run 2 miles in 15 minutes or whatever it was and do 30 situps in a minute minimum and 30 pushups minimum a minute, you were a shame target anyway. doesnt matter how much you partied.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 1:55 am

khaoz wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
khaoz wrote:

Sometimes we never met the rack. Sometimes for days on end we would party, but always made formation in the morning and rarely missed days. We were young then, most of us just 19-20 yo, and I have never been assigned to a military hospital that did PT in the morning. Just the annual PT test, and back then, at that age, if you couldn't run 2 miles in 15 minutes or whatever it was and do 30 situps in a minute minimum and 30 pushups minimum a minute, you were a shame target anyway. doesnt matter how much you partied.

you all surely were made of sterner stuff than me. :oops: