Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 9:57 am

Hello health and fruit fanatics,

I bought a box of them on the outdoor food market last saturday. All of them are still very firm to the touch and their shells are all still quite bright green so I'm assuming they are not ripe yet. I opened one today just to be sure and what I saw on the inside was brown-grey-greenish flesh. Very firm to the touch though as if unripe. Is this normal? Are avocado's always this darker colour when they are not ripe yet? I don't know what to think of this.

Inside:

Outside:

devin12
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Aug 2014, 10:53 am

Some places (even health food stores) will put avocados in cold storage and bring them out later. This can ruin them. It means they aren't really fresh. The avocados you're showing are clearly not good avocados, so unfortunately you will have to get them somewhere else. They should darken up (on the outside) over about a 5 day period and look nice and light green inside when you open them up. It's happened to me. Sometimes they will be watery and grey inside if they are put in cold storage also. I hope you can find some good ones.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 11:13 am

devin12 wrote:
Some places (even health food stores) will put avocados in cold storage and bring them out later. This can ruin them. It means they aren't really fresh. The avocados you're showing are clearly not good avocados, so unfortunately you will have to get them somewhere else. They should darken up (on the outside) over about a 5 day period and look nice and light green inside when you open them up. It's happened to me. Sometimes they will be watery and grey inside if they are put in cold storage also. I hope you can find some good ones.

The worst part of avocado freeze is that anybody in the chain of custody could be the culprit. Your local grocer might be a great guy and simply not know that his produce has been cold-stored.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 2:31 pm

Thank you both so much. I'm definitely not buying avocados anymore before I've seen them on the inside.
Too bad, they were beautiful big avocados and looked perfect from the outside.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 2:39 pm

Cafeaulait wrote:
Thank you both so much. I'm definitely not buying avocados anymore before I've seen them on the inside.

Most restaurant guacamole is made with "unattractive" avocados. They are still edible, if not appealing.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 6:47 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Cafeaulait wrote:

Most restaurant guacamole is made with "unattractive" avocados. They are still edible, if not appealing.

Do you think these are still edible?