I started growing food a few months ago...

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AmethystRose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2014, 5:46 pm

This is how my garden looks today:

These are pint jars, for canning. My garden is on a rotation where I start two jars every day: One with some combination of beans, peas, lentils and wheat and one with one of the various sprouting mixes I have. Since I'm starting two jars every day, I am also HARVESTING two jars every day, and so I get a good, daily dose of vitamins and other nutrients from this garden. :)

Who says you need land to grow food?? :geek:

BTW, there are rumors out there on the web that it's possible to "overdose" on sprouts; this is true, but it's essentially impossible to eat enough sprouts to "overdose": Unless you're juicing them, it's just not going to happen. :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 6:05 pm

:wtg: if you don't mind, how big is your garden?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 6:09 pm

Congratulations! The globalist corporations ADM and Monsanto hate people like you. Haha!

Keep doing good.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

AmethystRose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2014, 6:10 pm

auntblabby wrote:
:wtg: if you don't mind, how big is your garden?

I just measured it, and the total foot print is: 14"x12" (Or about 36cm X 30cm)

Each jar is one pint, which is 2 U.S. cups.

Last edited by AmethystRose on 18 Aug 2014, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmethystRose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2014, 6:12 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Congratulations! The globalist corporations ADM and Monsanto hate people like you. Haha!

Keep doing good.

And the feeling is mutual! HA!

Thanks. I hope someone will see this and realize how easy it really is to get started with growing your own food. My ultimate goal is to leave the city completely and share a homestead with my love. :)

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 6:21 pm

Very nice!

I grow tomatoes and have a couple of citrus trees which I'm trying to turn into a graft mix... aka lemon tree that has branches which give oranges, another branch gives limes, another branch gives mandarin oranges. Also have a guava tree that i'm still trying to figure out just which other fruit can be grafted with it.

Grafts are great for home gardens since a tree can be made to fruit year round (different fruits per season) and it controls how much you harvest. My guava tree gave fruit these past month and there was no way I could eat all that.. I had to puree them and freeze them in bags (about 15 large ziploc bags worth of concentrate...approx 60 gallons worth of juice once you mix with water).

Been trying to grow parsley and garlic but they just keep dying on me. :P

AmethystRose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2014, 6:29 pm

Dantac wrote:
Very nice!

I grow tomatoes and have a couple of citrus trees which I'm trying to turn into a graft mix... aka lemon tree that has branches which give oranges, another branch gives limes, another branch gives mandarin oranges. Also have a guava tree that i'm still trying to figure out just which other fruit can be grafted with it.

Grafts are great for home gardens since a tree can be made to fruit year round (different fruits per season) and it controls how much you harvest. My guava tree gave fruit these past month and there was no way I could eat all that.. I had to puree them and freeze them in bags (about 15 large ziploc bags worth of concentrate...approx 60 gallons worth of juice once you mix with water).

Been trying to grow parsley and garlic but they just keep dying on me. :P

Awesome.

I love grafted trees, especially for citrus, because citrus trees produce waaaay too much for personal use.

I currently live in a 500sqft apartment, with a small balcony as my only outside space, so my growing options are very limited. Sprouts are AMAZING. :geek:

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 8:53 pm

i wish more people would do this and stop giving Monsanto money.
keep up the awesome work! :thumright:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

AmethystRose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2014, 11:53 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
i wish more people would do this and stop giving Monsanto money.
keep up the awesome work! :thumright:

Thank you! :)

Keeping this garden going is literally as easy for me as brushing my teeth.

Twice a day, once while my morning coffee brews and once before bed, I open all the jars and set them on the counter. Then I pour cold, filleted water in them, covering the crop. I mix each jar carefully with a Stainless Steel chopstick (I just happen to own Stainless Steel chopsticks lol). Then I put all the lids and screens back on and drain them. I put them back on their trays to finish draining, and I'll later empty the runoff from the trays.

Every night, I start more seeds soaking. :)

At first, I lost a few batches to mold, because I waited too many days to harvest them. Then also, I had many days without any sprouts being ready to harvest because I forgot to start a batch earlier in the week. And I lost some sprouts to the refrigerator (where they wilted and lost flavor before becoming gross and then inedible) because I started with jars that were too big.

But it's as easy as brushing my teeth.

Last edited by AmethystRose on 19 Aug 2014, 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 11:57 pm

Gardening is good!...

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 7:22 am

well done!

I'm currently fighting with a plague of caterpillar over my poor cabbage plants ;/

AmethystRose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2014, 4:10 pm

anna-banana wrote:
well done!

I'm currently fighting with a plague of caterpillar over my poor cabbage plants ;/

Oh no! BAD baby flying things! BAD! lol

AmethystRose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2014, 4:11 pm

Pondering wrote:
Gardening is good!...

:D

When I was growing up, my family always had a garden -- until the house we moved into when I was 10 or 11, anyway.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 5:05 am

Do you use sprouting trays and artificial lightning?

AmethystRose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2014, 4:39 pm

Pondering wrote:
Do you use sprouting trays and artificial lightning?

I use mason jars with screens, and I let them drain into some glass dishes I just happened to already own, which I used to use for work lunches, when I was working, but which I don't need for anything else anymore. :)

The room these sprouts are in is under "daylight" bulbs (that's what the package called them), so they ARE under artificial light, but it's close to being natural lighting.

One cool thing about sprouts is that they only really need light for the last day before harvest, and even then, it's optional. :)

AmethystRose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2014, 4:49 pm

Another happy harvest:

That's cheese in the middle; I was making a salad.
That's Toby in the background; he was begging for cheese :geek: