Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

alex
Developer
Developer

14 Apr 2005, 6:04 pm

Baseball has finally come back to Washington. It is ironic that it has been more than 34 years since Washington has had a baseball team, especially considering the fact that Washington, DC is the center of the world now. I'm excited about this game and wish the Nationals the best of luck. Maybe I'll go see some games.

171NewYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2005, 6:57 pm

GO YANKEES!! !! ! :D

alex
Developer
Developer

14 Apr 2005, 6:59 pm

171NewYork wrote:
GO YANKEES!! !! ! :D

right.

Rekkr
Raven
Raven

15 Apr 2005, 9:19 am

The ironic thing is, when baseball got together to come up with a name for the Washington team they specifically tried not to name them after the old Washington team (the Senators). So they come up with the Nationals. But guess what? The Nationals was the real name of the senators early in their history. They gained the nickname "Senators" and later it became their official name. (I don't know if my facts are 100% correct.)

Epimonandas
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2005, 11:17 am

alex wrote:
Baseball has finally come back to Washington. It is ironic that it has been more than 34 years since Washington has had a baseball team, especially considering the fact that Washington, DC is the center of the world now. I'm excited about this game and wish the Nationals the best of luck. Maybe I'll go see some games.

Weren't the Nationals the name of a Wasthington, D.C. team in the 1860's and 1870's?

http://www.answers.com/topic/national-a ... ll-players

They could have used another old Washington, D.C. baseball team name, the Olympics.

171NewYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2005, 3:09 pm

I think I heard about that before. :)

But IMO, Olympics would be a better name for the Atlanta Braves than the Washington Nationals...or for that matter, the Montreal Expos when they were still in Montreal. :wink:

Rakkety_Tamm
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2005, 7:05 pm

baseball is baseball. pointless.

171NewYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2005, 10:07 am

Soccer is pointless...just people running aroudn and kicking a ball with no scoring...baseball has ACTION!! !! ! :P

Absolute_Zero
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2005, 6:18 am

Yes, I agree....soccer is rather bland but fun to play.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2005, 12:08 pm

Don't forget to bring an umbrella with you alex. RFK stadium has no sheltered seating areas.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2005, 2:24 pm

171NewYork wrote:
Soccer is pointless...just people running aroudn and kicking a ball with no scoring...baseball has ACTION!! !! ! :P

What action would that be then? The umpire scratching themselves or the long, lingering camera action shots of coaches chewing tobacco? :wink:

...and its called football, not "soccer"..... :roll:

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2005, 4:47 pm

Don't get me started on my hate for SOCCER. Crazy fast people kicking a ball around. Too energetic for my taste in sports. Don't get me wrong, some fast-paced sports are good. Baseball is also a sport I don't enjoy. Playing or watching, I really don't like either baseball and soccer, so I probably shouldn't be posting here. :roll: