Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 10:54 pm

He's a teenager who almost never tolerates when foods touch (even for the sake of ENHANCING bland foods) and mostly sticks to junk food when fending for himself (even though it's rarely homogenous in its contents). What do I do? Should I even do anything?

dragonzatch
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Feb 2015, 11:15 pm

I was like this for a number of years too. From ages 3-13 my food intake restricted more and more, to the point where my dinner routine was one of three things: pizza, chicken nuggets, or grilled cheese.

Suddenly one day I just came around. I don't know what exactly it was that changed in my head, but I now love veggies, fish, and all the like.

What kind of junk foods does he like? If he likes chips, have him try a banana chip without telling him it's banana first - chances are he'll like it, and they still retain SOME of the health benefits of an actual banana despite being fried.

Oh, I've also got a cookbook setting around called Deceptively Delicious - actually my mother's from when she was trying to sneak more healthy stuff in my junk food when I was super picky. There's recipes in there for chicken nuggets, mini-pizzas, pancakes, and other things with fruit/vegetable puree hidden in them and some other healthier changes (using whole grain breads for example). I can send you some of the recipes if you'd be interested - don't let your brother see though. :P