Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 12:09 pm

I have read that most people with autism/AS can deal with constipation. That's what I'm having a hard time with, and I could really use advice. Right now, I'm drinking gatorade and water alternatively for the dehydration. It's starting to improve a lot because my pee is actually coming it very clear. My only issue is that I still can't pass a bowel movement. I don't want to end up going to the hospital because they're just going to tell me to drink lots of fluids or water, rest yada yada... I can't really exercise just yet because of problems with my strict routine and severe anxiety.

I've also taken at least three laxatives... not at once but just between about 12 hours or so each. I don't want to take too many of them because it might screw up my bowels even more. It's just... I want to be able to get a bowel movement going before it builds up and causes even worse health issues for me. Also, I can't chew food either. I just had dental surgery on Wednesday to get the rest of my teeth pulled. They were really bad and had to come out. So yeah. My gums are slowly healing right now because they had to grind them down to get rid of them too.

If there's anything anyone can do to give me some advice here... that would really help a lot. :(

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 1:27 pm

how about anything with sorbitol, or xylithol?

Magnesium?

Tea from senna leaves?

Plum/fig juice?

Muso soup?

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 2:55 pm

I could try, but I think that'd be difficult. We're really short on money, and I don't think my dad is going to rush out to get it. ><

Also, what's sorbitol or xylithol? O_o

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 3:01 pm

that's a substitute for sugar :)

You can find it in any chewing gum with no sugar...or anything that says "sugar free" but it's supposed to be sweet.

then cheapest and most effective would be tea from senna leaves :) but if you decide to use it, don't put too much, since it can cause cramps.

Best of luck!

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 3:06 pm

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplemen ... name=senna

Quote:
Senna is an herb. The leaves and the fruit of the plant are used to make medicine.

Senna is an FDA-approved nonprescription laxative. It is used to treat constipation and also to clear the bowel before diagnostic tests such as colonoscopy.

Senna is also used for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), hemorrhoids, and weight loss.

Senna fruit seems to be gentler than senna leaf. This has led the American Herbal Products Association (AHPA) to warn against long-term use of senna leaf, but not senna fruit. The AHPA recommends that senna leaf products be labeled, "Do not use this product if you have abdominal pain or diarrhea. Consult a healthcare provider prior to use if you are pregnant or nursing. Discontinue use in the event of diarrhea or watery stools. Do not exceed recommended dose. Not for long-term use.”

How does it work?

Senna contains many chemicals called sennosides. Sennosides irritate the lining of the bowel, which causes a laxative effect.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 4:28 pm

It's okay now. I finally passed it, and I feel so much better. \o/ The water and gatorade helped much sooner than I thought. X3

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Feb 2015, 6:02 pm

I've been having problems with constipation lately too. I tried magnesium supplements which didn't help at all & the laxative I tried didn't help either. I bought a stimulant laxative after that but I haven't needed to try it yet but it might be worth a try for you if you haven't tried a stimulant one yet. I find pigging out & eating alot of ice-cream at 1ce makes me go within a few hours. I've been seeing advertisements on TV for a prescription med called Linzess/Linaclotide that helps with regular bowl movements for chronic constipation. There's other prescription meds out there that help with that too. I would recommended doing some research into those meds & seeing a doc about em.Thankfully I haven't needed too yet.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2015, 7:49 am

I'm a poop master! 8)

I had an impacted intestine many years ago...learned the value of being regular.

Water is the natural lubricant of the bowels. Dehydration only makes things worse.

HOWEVER, fluids won't make you pass stuff automatically. Having fiber in your diet is important. Don't buy the stuff you can't see in water. It's "fiber" but not the kind you really need to be regular.

Drink plenty of fluids when eating...particularly dry or bread products that absorb water. Otherwise they will absorb water from your body and just turn into a solid mass you can't pass.

I use Colonix intestinal cleanser from Dr. Natura every now and then (I try to do it once a year). A month on that stuff and I am having regular, smooth and clean bowel movements. It's not a cheap option, but I'm just putting it out there.

Otherwise, if you are backed up, a bottle of saline laxative from the store (about $1) will flush you out or you can just mix a tablespoon of Epsom salts in water and drink that (same thing).