Looking like a human lobster (sunburn thread)

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 6:46 pm

I spent the day at a food festival, laying in the sun listening to one band after another while sipping on overpriced hydration.

I got back home just now, and I look like a human lobster. I am not looking forward to how I will feel tomorrow.

I am wondering..... Is there anything I can do tonight to make tomorrow and the week after more bearable?

I'm bringing sunscreen the next time that I go to an event like this. Bloody hell.

TechnicalAmateur
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jun 2013, 10:50 pm

Fill your bath tub up some with the coldest water you can get out of the tap. Then put all the ice in your freezer in it. Then soak in it for a few minutes. Works wonders.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 11:13 pm

Buy a bottle of aloe and keep it in the fridge. Noxema is good too, but aloe is better.

redriverronin
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jun 2013, 4:25 am

vitamin C in large doses can help to

Jojoba
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jun 2013, 4:51 pm

That's not good. That's going to sting for awhile I'd have to imagine. The times when i've been sunburnt I've bought aloe lotion at the drug store and used it liberally. It helps some, but I could still feel the burn for a few days.

Not likely to help with the current situation, but I've had good luck at preventing sunburns by taking vitamin D3, reaching a testing level above 50ng/ml. Now I tend to tan easily. With that said, likely if I was in the sun for extended period of time I'd still burn to some extent.

A bit of information on raised vitamin D levels, the sunshine vitamin, helping prevent sunburns.

"8 Natural Ways to Prevent a Sunburn (And Sunscreen’s Not One of Them)"

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/8-natura ... z2Xjp1vvSH

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2013, 1:33 am

Jojoba wrote:
That's not good. That's going to sting for awhile I'd have to imagine. The times when i've been sunburnt I've bought aloe lotion at the drug store and used it liberally. It helps some, but I could still feel the burn for a few days.

Not likely to help with the current situation, but I've had good luck at preventing sunburns by taking vitamin D3, reaching a testing level above 50ng/ml. Now I tend to tan easily. With that said, likely if I was in the sun for extended period of time I'd still burn to some extent.

A bit of information on raised vitamin D levels, the sunshine vitamin, helping prevent sunburns.

"8 Natural Ways to Prevent a Sunburn (And Sunscreen’s Not One of Them)"

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/8-natura ... z2Xjp1vvSH

It's part of the reason I stay in the house. I burn way too easily, even with sunscreen.

You do realize that "sun worshipping" in order to get a healthy tan has only been popular for about the past century? If you look at paintings of people from the Renaissance and before, it was only the peons and serfs that had the suntans. The nobility was almost always lily white. With the way the ozone layer is being depleted, I'm surprised that skin cancer hasn't become more prevalent.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2013, 3:50 pm

A cool bath with oatmeal in it helps,it's a mess in the tub but is soothing to the skin.And powdered milk and a little baking soda is also helpful in the bath water.

poindexterpaul
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Dec 2013, 5:52 am

I’m not sure about lobster anatomy. I know that diseases or some kind of nerve affectation can sometimes have this effect on humans, because some nerves and blood vessels divide the body—but for the back to be unaffected?...thanks

eat fat lose fat

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 1:44 pm

I haven't been sunburned in a long time. Mainly because I hardly ever go out in the sun anymore. Sunlight kills now. And if I absolutely have to be out in the sun for a long time I apply the strongest sunblock I can find. I hate greasy, sunblock but the continuous spray-on kind is somewhat more tolerable.

But how do I know it's not wrecking the ozone even more? It says "No CFC's" on the can, but they could have just put that on so people will buy it, same as "dolphin friendly" tuna...

Why can't we just all start going out in the evenings and at night? No worries about getting moonburned...yet.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 3:27 pm

Aloe works well enough, I just apply that periodically and deal with the burn for a couple days until it subsides.

I don't get horrible burns though, I tan pretty smoothly considering how pasty Irish I am and, at least in the past few years, have gotten pretty responsible with the sunblock. If I get burned it's usually on my nose and neck while I'm fishing, and mercifully in most cases it's not bad.