How much water are you meant to drink each day?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

LimboMan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Mar 2016, 10:42 am

Always wanted to know the proper answer for this one. Is there a certain amount that should apply to everyone how much water we need to drink or does it really vary how much we need person to person? I'm pretty sure I don't drink enough due to bathroom anxiety due to a weak bladder. Though I drink a lot of tea and coffee though.
Is there a certain amount of glasses or cups to drink? And what measurement ie. millilitre or litre?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2016, 11:44 am

When I do my natural fiber bowel cleanse, I'm to take 2 liters of water (minimum) each day I'm on it so it has plenty of hydration to do the job.

I'm sure you could drink double that with no real issue. I encourage people to drink at least one liter or water each day to prevent problems associated with dehydration/underhydration.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2016, 12:09 pm

There are too many factors to give a set amount, the best anyone can do is give an average. It depends on what you are doing that day as well as many other factors. For me some days I am fine with a single glass of water and sometimes I go through liters of it. The best thing you can do is just drink when you are thirsty, your in-built systems are quite reliable when it comes to this kind of thing.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2016, 5:34 pm

It might sound gross but you can tell how hydrated you are based on the colour of your urine. You can google for a chart that shows the colour vs hydration levels so rather than focussing on a fixed amount of water, tell from your urine how hydrated you are and adjust fluid intake accordingly.

Nocturnus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2016, 1:19 am

You should aim for around 3-4 litres of water per day, I use a 600ml protein shaker as a way to measure how much water I am drinking.

Remember that one imperial UK pint is 568ml but a US pint is only 473ml in comparison, you should aim for 8-10 pints of water a day.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Apr 2016, 1:45 am

My doc told me they used to say 8 glasses a day but they think it's a little less nowadays like 6. Some people do need to drink more water than average if they have certain medical conditions or are on certain meds or substances like drugs or alcohol.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2016, 4:12 am

There is no hard and fast rule saying you must drink "X" amount of water each day.
Many factors influence how much you need including body size and surface area, ambient temperature, level of activity and individual factors such as rate of metabolism.
As one of the other posters has said listen to your body, the feeling of thirst is quite reliable unless you're doing heavy exertion or have an endocrine disorder like diabetes insipidus.
The colour and frequency of your urine can provide reassurance of adequate hydration, passing urine every few hours that's light straw in colour is adequate. Anything in excess of this will just be filtered and disposed of by your kidneys which are remarkably efficient in maintaining normal fluid balance.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2016, 1:29 pm

Drink half your body weight in water per day. So, if you weigh 180lbs drink 90oz of water which is 11.25 cups of water per day.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 3:28 am

As far as i know, the WHO still recommends around 2-3 liters of liquid each day (it doesn't have to be all water; soda, tea and coffee count as well, although the majority should still be water).
This is the equivalent of 2 soda bottles, or slightly less.
Now don't go and drink 2 bottles of soda each day; that is a very unhealthy habit, i just used them as a visualisation aid.

Also remember that you can drink too much liquid as well...

I try to drink one regular glass of water every hour, or a small glass every half hour. This gets me enough liquid, and the act of getting the glass makes me get up from my seat as well, which has an added benefit