Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

lidsmichelle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 12:15 pm

Does anyone take any supplements or something like that to help with their depression? I want to try something more natural (and that won't make me emotionally numb like SSRIs) to help combat my depression. Obviously I'd need to check with my doctor to make sure it wouldn't cause any problems with my mood stabilizer and anti anxiety med, but for now I want suggestions from people who are actually using non med alternatives.

Obviously I don't want to take any drugs, over the counter or street lol.

Herein You Will Find Various And Numerous And Innumerable Hexes, Curses, Words In The Old Tongue To Cleave A’Twain Friend, Foe, Family Alike. If You So Choose. Money Hates Me, God Hates Me, My Wife Hates Me, My Own Hands Hate Me. But Thats All Beside The Point. The Point Is That My Time Here On Earth Runs Short. Im Not Dying But You All Are. Im A Glass Of Wine. Nothing Beats A Glass Of Wine. When The Kids Arent Home And Your A Mother Theres A Glass Of Wine There. A Glass Coffee Table And I’m A Glass Of Wine. Stressful Day When The Kids And you're Husband Then Glass Of Wine. Dark Chocolate Indulge. Petty Indulgences. When you're A Glass Of Wine And Let The Body’s Hit The Floor. When Your Glass Of Wine Is Running Short And You Say Heck What Of It. Why Dont I Have Another. Bartender I Am A Glass Of Wine. Bottoms Up And The Devil Laughs. The Bartender Remembers When It Happened. They All Remember When It Happened And If They Knew That You Dont Remember Then They Would Know That Something Is Awry Here Or So They Would Think. Something Would Be Amiss Or Smells Fishy. So Theyre All Relating There Stories Of Where They Were When That Event Happened And The Eyes Move Clockwise About The Room Where We All Share Our Glass Of Wine And Suddenly The Clock Ticks To You And They Ask The Fatal Question That Destroys Your Reputation, The Question You Could Never Answer, The Dead Giveaway: Where Were You When The Bodies Hit The Floor

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 10:32 pm

Ive been on 12 different antidepressants since 2005 and really what I've found works better than any of them is 4000 IU of vitamin D daily(no side effects long as its taken with food otherwise I get heartburn), regular sleep wake cycle (same time every day), and strength training (or any exercise I guess). Magnesium i find helps slightly when I can tolerate it, a light box helps minimally in the winter.

lidsmichelle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 1:23 pm

Thank you, I'll look into it!

Herein You Will Find Various And Numerous And Innumerable Hexes, Curses, Words In The Old Tongue To Cleave A’Twain Friend, Foe, Family Alike. If You So Choose. Money Hates Me, God Hates Me, My Wife Hates Me, My Own Hands Hate Me. But Thats All Beside The Point. The Point Is That My Time Here On Earth Runs Short. Im Not Dying But You All Are. Im A Glass Of Wine. Nothing Beats A Glass Of Wine. When The Kids Arent Home And Your A Mother Theres A Glass Of Wine There. A Glass Coffee Table And I’m A Glass Of Wine. Stressful Day When The Kids And you're Husband Then Glass Of Wine. Dark Chocolate Indulge. Petty Indulgences. When you're A Glass Of Wine And Let The Body’s Hit The Floor. When Your Glass Of Wine Is Running Short And You Say Heck What Of It. Why Dont I Have Another. Bartender I Am A Glass Of Wine. Bottoms Up And The Devil Laughs. The Bartender Remembers When It Happened. They All Remember When It Happened And If They Knew That You Dont Remember Then They Would Know That Something Is Awry Here Or So They Would Think. Something Would Be Amiss Or Smells Fishy. So Theyre All Relating There Stories Of Where They Were When That Event Happened And The Eyes Move Clockwise About The Room Where We All Share Our Glass Of Wine And Suddenly The Clock Ticks To You And They Ask The Fatal Question That Destroys Your Reputation, The Question You Could Never Answer, The Dead Giveaway: Where Were You When The Bodies Hit The Floor

ZelmaMeyer
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Jul 2016, 12:50 am

The best alternative I can suggest you to healthy diet and exercise . Follow your diet plan and try to do things which makes you happy .

longjch
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Aug 2016, 5:03 pm

Not sure if you're familiar w ConsumerLab, but it has a good write-up re fish oil capsules and moderate depression/anxiety. If I remember correctly, fish oil can help build the level of omega-3 fatty acids in the brain's white matter, which is typically lower in folks w depression. I started Carlson Super Omega-3, one capsule 2X a day, last spring and it (all other things being the same) has made a tremendous difference for me. Very seldom have a dark day, if at all. Just make sure you get a brand that has the higher amount of total omega-3s. Typical store-bought doesn't do it. Good luck!

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2016, 5:49 pm

Exercise!

For best results exercise in the morning. You'll feel better for the rest of the day.

Also make sure you're getting enough vitamin c.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2016, 10:00 pm

What the other posters have suggested are all good, but also take B vitamins. While they won't cure the depression, they can alieviate it somewhat, and stabilize your emotions somewhat. I had read about it, and then tried it for myself, and yes, it does help some, but may take a while to notice the change.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 1:59 am

I should just accept that I deserve to be depressed. It's my punishment for being inferior.