I get concerned about my health using the computer

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

LimboMan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Aug 2016, 10:11 am

I have a lot of health anxiety and a lot of it surrounds using the computer and other electronic devices like watching TV, on your phone or Tablet etc. I follow my special interest on these devices and I do various things such as music and video editing, a lot of copying pasting and typing and I do this for hours. The only proper excercise that I get includes doing powerwalks around the block which I aim to do every day for about 30 mins. But I'm worried if this is not enough.
I use the computer for hours and I've noticed my hands can really hurt after a while, I'm just addicted to the Internet and I want to use it more to make money online. When I'm not using the laptop I'm either on my phone and before bed I like to use my tablet.

Just wondering if it really is that harmful doing this kind of thing for hours for your health? I often think I get in a bad posture, and I worry what using electronics will have on my eyes, back, hands etc.

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2016, 10:25 am

On the hands hurting yes i know what you mean. I did use my computer for many hours a day But this all so happens becase now i work with my hands outside ie iam doing groundskeeping.
That note on full size keyboards were it warns you about long hour useage yes
you can over stress your wrists and fingers. My advice try to stop each hour for 5 mins and realax your hands.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 1:09 pm

Yes, you can definitely damage yourself by overuse. Take frequent rest breaks and learn about ergonomics for hands, eyes, neck, back, etc.

In the US and also Europe it is now recommended that for total body health, sit-stand workstations should be provided for workers who spend 8 hours a day on a computer. Other things that can help are jiggle mechanisms that encourage you to move your legs, and sitting on an exercise ball (preferably in a stand, so you can't go right over backwards as happened to me!) and bounce on it occasionally.

Good questions, and you are wise to be asking BEFORE you develop permanent disability from this!

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 1:33 pm

Computers and televisions can be very hazardous to your health...

They leave you at risk of developing a potentially life-threatening chronic illness known as...

Sedentary lifestyle

... be afraid... be very afraid...

raisedbywookiees
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Aug 2016, 9:02 pm

My last real job (Systems Administrator) saw me sitting for lengthy periods of time and earned me an L4/L5 disk herniation.

This is one of the reasons why I still drive... to get out on the trails on my bike as much as possible, to keep my back and core strong and remain pain free.

I might add that this has had a benificial effect on my anxiety (mindfulness type activities - I also stretch), confidence and motivation to eat healthier, which also has the additional added bonus of losing weight.

Gaming sessions and watching movies and TV is now a whole lot more enjoyable too!