For Martial Aspies: Your Favorite Technique?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Icyclan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2011, 3:45 pm

As the title says, what's your favorite technique you've learned over the years? Mine is the sit-and-roll headlock escape. Most untrained people will instinctively try and put you in a headlock, as they will feel in control once they have control of your head; so needless to say, knowing how to get out of a headlock is crucial if you're training for self-defence.

For years I've been taught all kinds of useless 'escapes' in my karate class, like stomping on their toes, clawing their eyes out, chopping the pressure points in the back of their knees, etc. Basically all the stuff that's impossible to pull off when a somewhat strong person is trying to squeeze the life out of you.

I've learned the sit-and-roll on my first day of BJJ, and it remained one of my favorite techniques ever since. It's simple, takes little strength, and once you initiate the technique the opponent has only two options: fall down and get armbarred, or let go of the headlock completely.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6JLSwZ-8-g&feature=related[/youtube]

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 3:54 pm

Learning to fall in judo class. After that, foot sweep throws. That's all I remember from Judo was a kid. Recently, I've been playing around with a punching bag at my gym, and now can do palm strikes pretty well. I prefer palm strikes to punches, actually. But, no real fight experience with any of it really.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 3:55 pm

Only this, and nothing more...

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 3:57 pm

Fnord wrote:

Only this, and nothing more...

Fallout taught me sometimes you run out of ammo...

Krychek
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Dec 2011, 3:59 pm

I know it's a little basic, but I love the rear naked choke..

It's perfect (in actual street fights) for just just dropping someone, and not actually having to fight..

And I like it in training/mma, because it's easy.. but at the same time, I always feel like I should avoid that sub because it's TOO easy/they'll be expecting it.

I also LOVE to get a kimura on someone.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 3:59 pm

1000Knives wrote:
Fnord wrote:
[Insert image of a Really Big Rifle here.] Only this, and nothing more...
Fallout taught me sometimes you run out of ammo...

One target ... one shot ... one kill ...

Who needs to reload?

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 4:19 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4plJzcqFuD4[/youtube]

kerryt84
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Dec 2011, 5:27 pm

Personally I love the flying arm bar technique. I earned myself a round of applause for doing that one at my blue belt grading.

Krychek
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Dec 2011, 5:31 pm

kerryt84 wrote:
Personally I love the flying arm bar technique. I earned myself a round of applause for doing that one at my blue belt grading.

Nice!
Ha, once this guy at my gym tried a flying armbar on someone, fell to the floor, and knocked himself out.

kerryt84
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Dec 2011, 5:35 pm

Krychek wrote:
kerryt84 wrote:

Nice!
Ha, once this guy at my gym tried a flying armbar on someone, fell to the floor, and knocked himself out.

That sounds very funny! :)

Icyclan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Dec 2011, 2:18 pm

Krychek wrote:
I know it's a little basic, but I love the rear naked choke..

It's perfect (in actual street fights) for just just dropping someone, and not actually having to fight..

And I like it in training/mma, because it's easy.. but at the same time, I always feel like I should avoid that sub because it's TOO easy/they'll be expecting it.

I also LOVE to get a kimura on someone.

I like the RNC as well, especially in mma class because you don't leave yourself open to punches like with a lot of other submissions. Once you've established a solid back mount, you can take your time sinking it in. Arm drag + standing RNC is great for ending street fights instantly without getting sued.

Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Dec 2011, 5:32 pm

escaping from headlock is my fave, just bc when I used to get bullied they would simply hold me in the head lock.

One day I simply did a front roll and the momentum took me on top of the guy. Then I used the Gracie frame to un lock my head.

Another one is from judo is osoto gari. It useful with and without the gi. In some judo comps in the 70s, some guys were knocked out from this throw. While I would never intend to do so in self defense, it's nice to have the ability to be able to do it.

As some1 mentioned above, foot sweeps are great because you don't have to hold the upper body to make it work. Once the opponent is fallen, you can always stomp his chest or just kick him anywhere just to intimidate him. Then run for your life.

I am a huge fan of Helio Gracie and Royce as well. I like their defensive and composed style of Jiujitsu. Rickson i hear is the best in the family but I prefer the effortless style of Helio and Royce.

Djimbe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2011, 2:11 am

Dodging and interception

Sounds lame, I know, but yould be suprised how often taking a guy out of his comfortable range will shake him. Stand nose to nose with a guy who only has had a little boxing or TKD and hes about useless. even wrestlers, being closer than theyld like before theyld like it can throw them off. Not so often with Greco guys tho, obviously.

Djimbe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2011, 2:17 am

1000Knives wrote:
Learning to fall in judo class.

Ukemi us probably the most universally useful skill in all of MA.

I mean, you can fall anywhere, at any time. You dont have to be in a fight to do so.

Krychek
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Dec 2011, 11:38 am

Djimbe wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
Learning to fall in judo class.

Ukemi us probably the most universally useful skill in all of MA.

I mean, you can fall anywhere, at any time. You dont have to be in a fight to do so.

HA!

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 6:47 pm

The important thing with a head lock before anything else, is to prevent the person from striking you, through interception, position, speed,etc. The later has the caveat that even if the person is not grounded or competent, when the strike comes it doesn't mean it won't do damage. Your reaction time will be affected by how much work you are doing. So even if you are normally super fast, it might be the stupidest mistake you have made not to deal with the incoming attack focusing too much on end game. On the other hand you don't wan to stick around.

In fact is there is no such thing as a "head lock", every situation is different. One thing I have learnt from martial arts is to get out of set mode, there are no set scenarios.

Having said that for side holds to the head you want to try to prevent the person putting you in the low position, by rearing up arching your back. This will make you less vulnerable and you can find a better position . Generally speaking the strategy is based on how how low down the person has got you you.

The standard roll (not the sit and roll) is quite a common one for low position, it is kind of a committed technique though. For part of the time you will have that person's weight on top of you as you are pulling them over. Consider if someone is twice you weight if you do get them to move, the weight is going to be comig down on top of you. You can do it with people heaver than you so long as you complete. However there are limits. So the sit and roll is a lot better.

There are so many techniques you can use. I guess I would choose "step to the side" due to simplicity. This is a high position technique. So you have 'reared up', ideally circle your leg behind so you you are mostly behind them,try and feed your hand inside around to put pressure on their neck (I like to strike under their jaw and poke fingers in the eyes) at the same time scoop their leg or grab material by the knee and lift, then just step sideways parallel to them, they have no where to go but down. If they haven't let go you can follow on much like they have done in the video.