How can I make healthful eating simple?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 1:14 pm

I downloaded a fitness app on the phone that should help me be more active. Now, having AS, I also have trouble cooking with "normal" tools (I think my George Foreman grill is a blessing) and over-complicating things. Is there any advice, even if it's AS-specific, about how to simplify healthy eating habits.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 1:36 pm

One thing I did was eliminate pre dinner (actually a real one) about 3:30 and another at 7 p. m.

Now I eat something like carrots , celery or another fruit or veggie instead. (When I come home from work)

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 4:34 pm

I eliminated things like soda and chips from my diet, (although, I still drink soda occasionally), but my substitute for it is usually water, along with much more healthier snacks like nuts and fruit...

Too much soda can actually make your bones very brittle, and my old psychiatrist was actually against caffeine, in general, (said it effects the brain more negatively, than good).

But there are quite a few different diets for AS individuals out there, like the gluten-free diet, for example.

Hope a little bit of this helps!

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 4:43 pm

I make all my food for the week on sunday. I have a ratio diet thing someone recommended that works well for me...

But in the past, my biggest challenge to eating well is when im super hungry and now have to cook or am out. If i have all my meals preplanned its way easier to stay on schedule...

Soulsparrer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Oct 2016, 8:02 pm

My personal opinion if you just want a simple, easy to remember healthy eating plan is:

1. Avoid "diets" unless you have a medical reason for being on a special diet.

2. Stick with whole food staples - like beans, lentils, rice, eggs, peanut butter etc which are easy to cook. Use seasonings and condiments for "flair".

3. Don't compulsively avoid processed foods or ingredients, just try to not eat too much of them.

4. Add in a multivitamin or some suppliments like Omega-3.

5. Find some no BS guide to nutrition basics, and avoid all of the trendy, superfluous dietary information out there, like suppliments, superfoods, "paleo", "no-fat", etc which turns eating well into rocket science. People have managed to eat healthy for 1000s of years long before diets and marketing hype was ever invented.

Cintakmarka
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Oct 2016, 8:16 pm

I practice a way of life that makes my food consumption simplier.
I try to grow my own organic, fruits, veggies, nuts and berries.
I lessen the amounts of times I eat out to about once a week.
I befriend others who are vegetarian, pescatarian, vegan, plant based or health conscious.
Educate myself and friends on WFPB eating.
Go to support, advice and others forms of gatherings with like minded people.

Reach out to others
Expose cruelty
Stop buying GMO's
Promote loving-kindness to all beings
Express your desires through the arts
Concerntrate your mind on your inner self
Teach and spread compassion

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 4:20 pm

I'm curious about this too.

Right now, I eat simple breakfasts like cereal, eggs & toast, etc. For lunch I'll do one of those salad kits you can get at the store. I found a mexican themed one that I loooooove. For dinner, I eat whatever needs to be eaten before it goes bad. For snacks, I eat a lot of nuts and legumes. I also drink a lot of gatorades and bottled coffee. I guess the food I eat is technically healthy, but I didn't make it.

I'd like to eat healthier and learn more complicated dishes, but I have no idea where to start.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2016, 6:48 pm

Did you have a fitness goal?

flownawy

14 Oct 2016, 7:04 pm

Practice more cooking and you will learn from yourself

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 3:35 pm

To make healthy eating simple, eat simple.

Find a very basic diet of healthy foods you don't mind eating and are very simple or no prep.

I go to the gym several times a week. My "food" consists of protein bars, Muscle Milk and a simple dinner of a meat and veggies. On weekends, my breakfast is typically a couple of hard-boiled eggs and cup of coffee.

Kovu
Raven
Raven

30 Oct 2016, 2:56 pm

I'm trying the paleodiet and it actually works. I like being a bloodthirsty carnivore.