why do people do this to thin people?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 1:57 pm

Since doing push-ups I have bulked up but I used to be thin and I was picked on more by people when I was skinny.

Why do people like to hassle those who are thin?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2016, 3:32 am

Simply because they are weak. People pick on easy targets, whether skinny, fat, short etc. If they can assert their dominance over you, they will. It's sort of an instinctual animal kingdom thing, IMO, and as much as our brains have evolved to think logically we're still hard wired to be alpha/beta, winner/loser, dominant/submissive etc.

Nekomonster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Dec 2016, 9:06 am

Hasn't happened to me, but I don't feel like I get picked on much. Maybe I'm just a magically immune target. I keep my mouth shut most of the time and no one seems to bother me. Some of the meanest/crudest kids in this school hear my name and are like "Oh yeah, he's cool."

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 3:56 pm

The single term I spent at my first uni before illness got the better of me I had a few, shall we say, discriminatory remarks fired my way by - shall we say again! - ladies of girth. This was in south Wales. I really don't enjoy marginalising, we all come in different shapes and sizes, but those girls were savage. They singled me out, though because I walked funny back then people generally singled me out anyway.
Always ended up having to walk past a big group of these offenders on campus in the mornings. They'd call me 'walking skeleton' or 'anorexic', quite openly. I was anorexic. Stupid fools! In any case, what goldfish21 said rings true; it's that pack mentality at work again.