Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

GuyInABlackSuit
Raven
Raven

17 Jun 2018, 12:04 pm

Sounds like a weird question, I know.
But it seems like every appointment I go to with my nurse practitioner, every time I get my height measured, I will grow a quarter inch, then I will shrink down a quarter or half inch. The cycle of growing and shrinking repeats itself, and I don't understand why, although part of me is thinking that it's because of my unbalanced diet and little exercise.
Or is it some weird thing with people with autism?
I am immensely confused and would like some understanding.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2018, 3:04 pm

Pretty much everyone's height changes by about that amount during the course of a day - most people are a centimetre or so taller first thing in the morning, and then get shorter as the day goes on. That's due to the disks in the spine getting compressed with our weight as the day goes on, then relaxing and stretching out when we're lying down at night. So, if you're being measured at different times of day, or your exercise or sleeping times change, this might explain the variation.

GuyInABlackSuit
Raven
Raven

17 Jun 2018, 6:53 pm

It's around the same time I get checked, which I get checked every couple weeks to every couple months between 2:00 or 3:00 in the afternoon.
But I think I can agree with you on the sleeping part, as I have a lousy sleep schedule which consists of me not falling asleep until 1:00 in the morning one day, and sleeping in till 1:30 the next morning, or it's me being in bed by 11:00 or 11:30 and me getting up 1 to 4 times every night for some reason. Those mornings I may sleep in till like 7:00, 8:00, or even 9:00, while some mornings I get up before 5:00, 6:00, or 7:00 in the morning.
As far as the exercise thing goes, I hardly do any exercising except pacing...which doesn't really do a whole lot for me.
So thanks for your advice!

Eliza_Day
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jun 2018, 1:05 pm

When I was at school I was 5ft5 1/2. A nurse measured me a couple of months ago and now I'm 5ft4! :( Very disappointed - I always wanted to be 5ft7. Maybe time to take up Pilates.