Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 8:32 am

They take you away from your mate, dog, cat, bed, home,
They put you in a strange bed in a strange room in a strange place with strange sounds,
A stranger glues electrodes all over your body until you're covered in sticky goo and surgical tape,
He attaches 40-50 wires all over, from your ankles to your fingertips to the top of your head,
He tells you to try not to move so you won't dislodge anything,
Then he turns out the light and tells you to go to sleep.

Why do they call it a "sleep study", when it's really a "staring-at-the-ceiling-in-the-dark study"?

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 3:17 pm

That's just what I thought when I was offered a study to look into chronic insomnia. Once they described exactly what the procedure was, I turned it down, as the only conclusion I could see them reaching was "over stimulation and high anxiety result in poor sleep". As for keeping electrodes on my body; I'm such a fidget that I can barely keep the duvet or pillows on the bed most nights.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 3:58 pm

I thrash about so much in my sleep, I've accidentally struck my mate on occasion, which absolutely mortifies me beyond words.
The other night I lept out of bed and awoke standing in the living room, screaming.
She deserves a more peaceful sleep.