Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Mar 2018, 10:15 pm

I've been saying for a while that the only way I'll ever lose weight is if I find a way to exercise while doing the things I actually enjoy like reading watching tv or playing video games. My first impulse was to get a treadmill (and I'd still like one) but my apartment doesn't have room for one. Then I saw these. What do you guys think? Will these help me lose weight?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-Mini-Stepper-with-Monitor/28132535

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2018, 11:22 pm

If you expend more calories than you take in, you will lose weight.

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Mar 2018, 11:25 pm

Closet Genious wrote:

Of course. But different kinds of exercise burn more calories than others. How much will this burn?

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2018, 11:27 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:

Of course. But different kinds of exercise burn more calories than others. How much will this burn?

That's impossible for me, or anyone else to say. It will depend on you body weight, body composition, how hard and how long you exercise.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2018, 11:44 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:
I've been saying for a while that the only way I'll ever lose weight is if I find a way to exercise while doing the things I actually enjoy like reading watching tv or playing video games. My first impulse was to get a treadmill (and I'd still like one) but my apartment doesn't have room for one. Then I saw these. What do you guys think? Will these help me lose weight?

exercise is only a minor weight loss expedient. diet is the primary, exercise is the 2ndary. eliminate refined carbs from your diet [no sugar, flour, starchy stuff, no white potatoes or rice, no cereals or gravies, no breads or crackers or pastas] and the weight will eventually come off. this is what I do. a stepper will NOT do it, sorry. a far better exercise is finding a place with steep hills, and walking up and down this hills at a "late for work" pace, for a solid half-hour, daily. better is a bicycle on the same route, alternate sprints with cruising ["interval training" which adds anaerobic training to the aerobic training, enabling your body to be more efficient in its use of oxygen]. build muscle, that burns calories without doing any extra work other than maintenance of the muscle.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 12:40 am

FunkyPunky wrote:

You should probably do a variety of exercises but in my opinion, if you were to only do one exercise, brisk walking for about 20-40 minutes is good.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 1:01 am

Mini steppers are cheap nasty clunky things. You'll get fed up with it after two days then you'll just keep tripping over it wherever you put it. A good walk is better.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 2:42 am

auntblabby wrote:
exercise is only a minor weight loss expedient. diet is the primary, exercise is the 2ndary. eliminate refined carbs from your diet [no sugar, flour, starchy stuff, no white potatoes or rice, no cereals or gravies, no breads or crackers or pastas] and the weight will eventually come off. this is what I do. a stepper will NOT do it, sorry. a far better exercise is finding a place with steep hills, and walking up and down this hills at a "late for work" pace, for a solid half-hour, daily. better is a bicycle on the same route, alternate sprints with cruising ["interval training" which adds anaerobic training to the aerobic training, enabling your body to be more efficient in its use of oxygen]. build muscle, that burns calories without doing any extra work other than maintenance of the muscle.

Yes, auntblabby is right.

Diet is 80% of weight loss and exercise is like 20%. 20% only if we are talking about hard exercise, this stepper is pretty useless. There are still some benefits of moving instead of sitting while you are reading, but weight loss is not one of them.

If you would do some full-body resistance training, like deadlifts once or twice a week for like 15 minutes, it would boost your TDEE and you will actually burn more calories while doing the things you actually enjoy.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 4:16 am

badRobot wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Yes, auntblabby is right.

Diet is 80% of weight loss and exercise is like 20%. 20% only if we are talking about hard exercise, this stepper is pretty useless. There are still some benefits of moving instead of sitting while you are reading, but weight loss is not one of them.

If you would do some full-body resistance training, like deadlifts once or twice a week for like 15 minutes, it would boost your TDEE and you will actually burn more calories while doing the things you actually enjoy.

Agreed. Resistance training is so much more effective for getting, and especially staying lean.

Not here
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Apr 2018, 7:52 pm

I found it effective in toning the glutes and hamstrings when holding dumbbells in each hand. It gets the heart rate up, so does burn calories.

What's more effective is doing HIIT with a skipping rope for 10-15 mins (to release fat from fat cells) followed by steady state cardio on a stepper or walking for 15-20mins to burn off that fat. Good link here https://visualimpactfitness.com/jump-ro ... -fat-loss/