Page 3 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2021, 7:34 pm

^^^prego :) to make it sustainable you will want to increase your micronutrient intake [fresh veggies, healthy fats]. counterintuitively, fats in themselves are not fattening esp. if they are medium chain triglycerides such as coconut oil/cream which the body treats somewhat as a carb in terms of energy metabolism.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2021, 7:37 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^prego :) to make it sustainable you will want to increase your micronutrient intake [fresh veggies, healthy fats]. counterintuitively, fats in themselves are not fattening esp. if they are medium chain triglycerides such as coconut oil/cream which the body treats somewhat as a carb in terms of energy metabolism.

Remember though BMI does not take into account how muscle you have.

I could be slightly overweight because I lift heavy weights not because I am fat per say.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2021, 7:39 pm

Jamesy wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Remember though BMI does not take into account how muscle you have. I could be slightly overweight because I lift heavy weights not because I am fat per say.

BMI is an approximation yes, the gold standard is measuring body fat % via immersion, though militaries the world over use calipers [the "pinch an inch" test].

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2021, 7:44 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Remember though BMI does not take into account how muscle you have. I could be slightly overweight because I lift heavy weights not because I am fat per say.

BMI is an approximation yes, the gold standard is measuring body fat % via immersion, though militaries the world over use calipers [the "pinch an inch" test].

I measured my waist with a cloth tape measure and it’s 34 or 35 inches. Also measured waist circumference with a metal tape measure and got 32/33 inches.

Not sure though if measuring your waist is the best way to figure out your body fat percentage though. If I take of my shirt are not visible and from what I understand to get visible you have to get your body fat down to 8-13 percent.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2021, 8:02 pm

Jamesy wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Remember though BMI does not take into account how muscle you have.

I could be slightly overweight because I lift heavy weights not because I am fat per say.

That is exactly what I was going to say, BMI is not accurate for people who may have a lot of muscle.

I gained about 30 pounds in the last year, probably primarily because of chemo, trying to lose much of it now, but diet changes and exercise increase over the past couple months haven’t been getting me anywhere yet :( I’m used to eating whatever I want and staying skinny, can’t do that anymore.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2021, 8:02 pm

keep it under 40" for men, 35" for women is the american guideline at least. is your goal to look like a model or just to be fitter?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2021, 8:03 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

That is exactly what I was going to say, BMI is not accurate for people who may have a lot of muscle. I gained about 30 pounds in the last year, probably primarily because of chemo, trying to lose much of it now, but diet changes and exercise increase over the past couple months haven’t been getting me anywhere yet :( I’m used to eating whatever I want and staying skinny, can’t do that anymore.

have you tried low-carb?

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2021, 8:09 pm

auntblabby wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

That is exactly what I was going to say, BMI is not accurate for people who may have a lot of muscle. I gained about 30 pounds in the last year, probably primarily because of chemo, trying to lose much of it now, but diet changes and exercise increase over the past couple months haven’t been getting me anywhere yet :( I’m used to eating whatever I want and staying skinny, can’t do that anymore.

have you tried low-carb?

No I don’t think so. Might give it a try.

Someone once told me that having to much muscle is not good for your heart 8O

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2021, 8:11 pm

auntblabby wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

have you tried low-carb?

Nope, I probably ought to. Carbs are really what I find to be actually filling, and most of the food I actually like is carb-heavy. I’ll look stuff up about low-carb diets, try to find enough stuff I’ll eat, I like doing research and making lists :nerdy:

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2021, 8:40 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
Carbs are really what I find to be actually filling, and most of the food I actually like is carb-heavy. I’ll look stuff up about low-carb diets, try to find enough stuff I’ll eat, I like doing research and making lists :nerdy:

MCT oil or coconut oil/cream are your friends here as the body treats them like a carb but without the bad inflammatory parts of the [refined] carb.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2021, 11:31 am

auntblabby wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:
Carbs are really what I find to be actually filling, and most of the food I actually like is carb-heavy. I’ll look stuff up about low-carb diets, try to find enough stuff I’ll eat, I like doing research and making lists :nerdy:

MCT oil or coconut oil/cream are your friends here as the body treats them like a carb but without the bad inflammatory parts of the [refined] carb.

11 years ago when I did heavy weightlifting I could get up to 185 pounds at my heaviest.

These days I can’t get over 172 lbs

Don’t understand why though? I mean isn’t 20-30 year range a bit young to start losing muscle mass correct me if I am mistaken?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2021, 4:11 pm

Jamesy wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

11 years ago when I did heavy weightlifting I could get up to 185 pounds at my heaviest. These days I can’t get over 172 lbs Don’t understand why though? I mean isn’t 20-30 year range a bit young to start losing muscle mass correct me if I am mistaken?

mon frère, once you leave your 20s your T levels drop steadily. that can make a big difference, i went from 900 ng/dL down to subclinical in just a few years. get your T checked.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2021, 5:33 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i hope the OP by now has got a handle on her situation.

I’m doing really good! Three meals and three snacks (mostly fruit or veggies) a day. I have a treat twice a week but not a huge one. I did try stevia and monk fruit sweetener but I had a really bad reaction to it.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2021, 7:08 pm

2 years ago I took up running and did no weightlifting but got down to 154 lbs.

A lot of my friends criticised me though for being skinny when I weighed that much. One women even said to me that I needed to beef up a bit.

I don’t get it I mean how is 154 pounds skinny for a guy who is between 5ft7-5ft8 :scratch:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2021, 11:47 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
i hope the OP by now has got a handle on her situation.

I’m doing really good! Three meals and three snacks (mostly fruit or veggies) a day. I have a treat twice a week but not a huge one. I did try stevia and monk fruit sweetener but I had a really bad reaction to it.

what do you think of ace-k or splenda?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2021, 11:48 pm

Jamesy wrote:
2 years ago I took up running and did no weightlifting but got down to 154 lbs.

A lot of my friends criticised me though for being skinny when I weighed that much. One women even said to me that I needed to beef up a bit.

I don’t get it I mean how is 154 pounds skinny for a guy who is between 5ft7-5ft8 :scratch:

you were just right, don't listen to those people, they don't know.