Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 4:30 pm

The women on my dad's side of the family are wider and bigger boned and are not skinny. I spoke to a personal trainer and she mentioned genetics playing a role in body composition, bone structure, muscle mass and weight. I'm just going to say this, I've tried numerous weight loss strategies. I walk and do physical activity three days a week or so, my diet is not bad. I don't eat snack cakes, McDonald's and am very careful about how much I eat. If I wasn't physically fit, I would be in a scooter chair when I went shopping for my birthday. I walked the mall for at least an hour and a half.

I am not asking for advice with this post. All because you people think I'm a fat and ugly whale who will never attract men does not mean I am. I feel good about myself. I completed physical therapy and am in no pain. Unlike some people, I don't need a man to feel complete.

Do any of you feel as if genetics play a role in those things?

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 4:32 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
... you people think ...
You lost my interest here. You have no idea at all what I am thinking, so don't pretend that you do.

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 4:33 pm

Fnord wrote:
... you people think ...
You lost my interest here. You have no idea at all what I am thinking, so don't pretend that you do.

:roll:

This wasn't directed at you. You haven't said nothing, there are members though that do think that.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 4:36 pm

You aren’t ugly and you don’t look like a whale!

Genetics do play some role but one’s environment tends to play a bigger role.

Have you tried setting a modest calorie deficit and sticking with it diligently for awhile? Cutting back on junk food is good for one’s overall health but it still comes down to calories. Healthy food still has them.

If you are struggling despite this, have you had your thyroid tested?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 5:46 pm

What member thinks you're fat and ugly?

I don't know one who does.

Just go on with your life. Forget about what people think. Unless it's based upon actually knowing you.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 7:41 am

Being genetically prone to overweight means that you need less food than the average person to survive. Nobody can violate the laws of thermodynamics.

I'm genetically prone to overweight too. Cutting out alcohol and bread did the trick, as well as walking more. What you eat matters more than how much you eat.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 9:00 am

"a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle"

:mrgreen:

languagehopper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jun 2019, 2:04 am

I used to think I was big boned and that because my aunt is also the same build that maybe I was just meant to be overweight. I am tall and I was comparing myself to the wrong people. But I was also an unhealthy weight. Nevermind looks, fat is a health issue not a looks issue. It is never healthy to be overweight. Even athletes expose themselves to health risks by carrying too many extra muscles. I would go so far as to say that the looks thing came about because we instinctively know that it is unhealthy and that choosing a parent for our children who is unhealthy would be a bad thing to do. But modern tastes went too far and started pushing artistic images of emaciated women who are just as unhealthy in the opposite direction so now even healthy women feel fat. The healthy human body still has lumps and bumps and women are supposed to carry good fat reserves. Just not too many.

All the damage done to our egos and our diets has made it very difficult for us to judge whether we are actually overweight or not and has made it very difficult to do something about it if we are. A poor diet makes you crave the wrong food and years of poor dietary advice has pushed us in the wrong direct too. We have come to think we need to eat often for short term energy (food actually takes energy away from other activities while it is being digested) and that we need loads of protein from meat when actually vegetables easily provide what we need. Meat is actually nutrient poor and not at all good for us. What is good for us are vegetables, some fruit, nuts, seeds and healthy oils such as olive oil.

Genetics aren't the only things shared by families. Dietary habits are often similar as are the bacteria living in their guts.

The best indicator of a healthy weight is your waist to height ratio which should be less than half. If your waist is more than half your height you need to lose weight no matter your genetics, and you can. After years of failure I discovered intermittent fasting and I am now a healthy size and feel sooooo much better. It didn't sort my looks but as I said that is a separate issue and as someone else said a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle...

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 9:00 am

"you people think I am a fat and ugly whale"?

If someone told you that, please report to moderator and :heart: block :skull:

But please do not call everyone on wrong planet "you people"

Unless you are telepathic you do not know what someone else is thinking

Unless you posted photos nobody on wrong planet know what you look like

:mrgreen:

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 2:36 pm

It doesnt matter how much I eat, I won't really gain any weight, whether it is genetics or an illness I don't know. I got fed up of people telling me that it just boils down to calories in calories out which is honestly baloney. I weigh 134 lbs now while I eat about 2000 calories a day across 4 meals and weighed 134 lbs back in 2013 when I was eating 4000 to 5000 cals a day between 7 to 9 meals. No f*****g difference. Even if we were to assume that "calories in calories out" what determines calories out? The calorie calculators all said I should have blown up like a whale within 6 weeks but of course that never happened.

There are people on the gastroparesis facebook group who are morbidly obese and they only consume 300 calories a day(because of chronic nausea vomiting from the disease) and while others with the same calorie deficit are like 90 lbs and underweight. So calories in calories out explaination is simple minded BS.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 5:37 pm

Noca wrote:
It doesnt matter how much I eat, I won't really gain any weight, whether it is genetics or an illness I don't know. I got fed up of people telling me that it just boils down to calories in calories out which is honestly baloney. I weigh 134 lbs now while I eat about 2000 calories a day across 4 meals and weighed 134 lbs back in 2013 when I was eating 4000 to 5000 cals a day between 7 to 9 meals. No f*****g difference. Even if we were to assume that "calories in calories out" what determines calories out? The calorie calculators all said I should have blown up like a whale within 6 weeks but of course that never happened.

There are people on the gastroparesis facebook group who are morbidly obese and they only consume 300 calories a day(because of chronic nausea vomiting from the disease) and while others with the same calorie deficit are like 90 lbs and underweight. So calories in calories out explaination is simple minded BS.

Then there's me who is seldom hungry. We went out to for lunch as part of my birthday this month. The restaurant gave me a huge plate of pasta. I ate two small raviolis and felt like my stomach was about to explode I was that full.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 5:54 pm

Noca wrote:

Then there's me who is seldom hungry. We went out to for lunch as part of my birthday this month. The restaurant gave me a huge plate of pasta. I ate two small raviolis and felt like my stomach was about to explode I was that full.

Have you ever precisely counted every calorie you eat and drink for awhile, even using a food scale?

Most people consume more calories than they think they do.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 6:02 pm

I think it's a dangerous path to associate your happiness with how you perceive other people think about your appearance.

This is how eating disorders start.

You need to accept who you are and be comfortable. Practice sensible eating and exercise of course but don't keep comparing yourself to some unattainable goal. You may get to your ideal weight, you may not? I woudn't obsess about it. It's not worth it...neither are the people who you perceive are judging you worth your time.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 6:08 pm

Genetics play a role in the level of ease with which one gains/loses weight, but there's no reason why any able-bodied, moderately well off person shouldn't be able to achieve the ideal weight for his height.

I certainly don't think you're a "whale" or whatever, although I only have a vague idea what you look like, and could be mistaking you for another member. Either way, I wouldn't think less of you for your weight.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 6:10 pm

I have seen some families where there is a genetic trait of being big boned although diet also plays a role...

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 6:18 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I have seen some families where there is a genetic trait of being big boned although diet also plays a role...

I've never understood the concept of "big-boned"-ness. Even if there were such a thing, how could it contribute to an excess of bulk, given that bulk consists of soft tissue? If one's skeleton contributed to his appearance of being fat, he'd have to look pretty macabre.