Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2020, 5:44 pm

Can't find any threads about gyms that aren't mega old so I made a new one.

Does anyone go to the gym besides me on here? I basically live there most of the time.

I go to a weight lifters gym that's fairly new, new equipment is always nice. Gym owner is lovely.

I tend to work on glutes lately. Normally stick to about 15kg dumbells for weighted squats or I'll use the machine and crank it up to 20-25kg.

I don't touch cardio in the gym, it's much more rewarding to do in the outside. :wink:

Once upon a time I never stepped foot in a gym but since I did my entire life has improved. It gives you confidence, people respect you more for looking buff and toned. Met some great people in there too, I never thought I'd meet anyone nice in a gym at first cause my impression was they're all vain mean people but it's not the case at all lol. Now I know everyone in there and they're all really supportive of each other.

Any workout recommendations or just wanna tell everyone what you prefer doing there?

I normally follow JSA stuff because it's really down to earth.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2020, 5:26 am

What is the best way to bulk up your "guns"?
I just found this:

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2020, 5:39 am

Before Covid, I used to do the Stronglifts 5x5 program, occasionally interspersed with Pavel Tsatsouline's Hit The Deck program. My personal best is 1188 pushups in a 12 hour period.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2020, 6:10 am

I can't handle going to the gym because of sensory issues. It's overwhelming to me. I prefer to exercise at home, or I did until the covid funk set in. I've been slowly trying to get my routine back. I used to run a few miles a day and alternate target muscle groups with dumbbells and/or body weight. I feel better mentally and physically when I do that stuff. I'm not big into bulking but I can't stand it when I'm not toned.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2020, 7:50 pm

^ Yeah I'm the same, can't stand not being toned now. Feels like I've slacked and wasted my time. Gym isn't for everyone with autism though yeah, mines relatively quiet though so I love it. 24/7 ones are the best cause you can wait for all the people who finish work to leave and have it to yourself about 9-10pm.

Pepe wrote:
What is the best way to bulk up your "guns"?
I just found this:
[video]

You wanna just do different arm reps for 2 weeks straight, the difference you'll see in your arms is mad. It's all about being consistent and having a routine with lifting and gym stuff though.

Wolfram87 wrote:
Before Covid, I used to do the Stronglifts 5x5 program, occasionally interspersed with Pavel Tsatsouline's Hit The Deck program. My personal best is 1188 pushups in a 12 hour period.

That's pretty awesome - I struggle to do 200 in a day that is absolutely insane I don't know how you even managed that lol. You should get back into it all when Covids mostly done with.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2020, 7:52 pm

This channel in general is pretty good for anyone interested.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2020, 8:13 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:

I'm not interested in pushups.
I'd rather use weights/dumbells.

Being an older man, I'd be concerned about my spine/back, not that I have any problems, atm.

Also, I still need to lose a bit more weight before I consider pushups.
If "you" aren't in shape, pushups could be a disincentive in continuation, imo.

My goal is to get to my ideal weight first, and then progress to other exercises.
By the sounds of it, you are at least at your ideal BMI?

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2020, 8:24 pm

^ Just do the exercises in the proper way, you have to be in front of a huge mirror so you can check your form all the time like in a gym to make sure you're not in a wonky position and your spine is kept straight.

Weight train on top of the fat loss anyway because it only actually helps you - if you've grown muscle that will also help to burn the fat. Muscle uses energy, and if you're not eating carbs and shite then it's gonna be using the energy from the fat stores.

I've known really fat girls who've gone from 80-90kg and dropped to 50kg within 3 months due to strength training, mass walking and healthy eating. Totally doable.

It's mad when you see them 3-4 months later and I'm like.. who even are you now, they look so different it's shocking lol

idntonkw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2020, 8:47 pm

I would get lonely, bored, anxious.. would either take too long to work out and give up and not return again.. now I am almost 35.. shi*.. was always a goal of mine.. but thinking I should have started earlier and lost years of not working out got be unmotivated.. also, could not figure out how to do any exercises correctly.. or would give up very soon without causing muscle damage to actually see any progress..

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2020, 8:53 pm

idntonkw wrote:
I would get lonely, bored, anxious.. would either take too long to work out and give up and not return again.. now I am almost 35.. shi*.. was always a goal of mine.. but thinking I should have started earlier and lost years of not working out got be unmotivated.. also, could not figure out how to do any exercises correctly.. or would give up very soon without causing muscle damage to actually see any progress..

Well if you think like that then of course you will not get anywhere.

Think in the opposite way and you will see results. If you're scared about form then book a trainer - they're all really nice to you these days.

I've seen people start gym way older, you're young still.

If this is a thing you got no excuse. :mrgreen:

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2020, 12:11 am

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Sep 2020, 6:39 pm

I used to go to the gym all the time before the pandemic. COVID-19 is the only reason I don’t go now.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2020, 9:58 pm

I love smashing out a good upper body workout!

I've been a lifelong long distance runner because it's what I love doing. Unfortunately this left my upper body somewhat under developed.
I'm quite tall and lanky and since COVID I've canned going to the gym and do weights at home instead.
I love the way it makes my upper body feel stronger.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2020, 7:21 am

Lunella wrote:
That's pretty awesome - I struggle to do 200 in a day that is absolutely insane I don't know how you even managed that lol. You should get back into it all when Covids mostly done with.

The program lets you get really strong quite quickly. Though I made a bit of a blunder and failed to read the part where it says you shouldn't do the program for more than 2 weeks straight. I did it for 5 weeks straight, and now my elbows make noises that I'm pretty sure they shouldn't be making. Will be getting back into the stronglifts thing, tho.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2020, 7:30 am

KikiKitty678 wrote:
I used to go to the gym all the time before the pandemic. COVID-19 is the only reason I don’t go now.

Aww that's rubbish. It'll be back eventually whenever this bloody thing goes away. :D
When my gym closed I was devastated, it's back open now but there's so many restrictions I just go at night the past few times.

Eurythmic wrote:
I love smashing out a good upper body workout!

I've been a lifelong long distance runner because it's what I love doing. Unfortunately this left my upper body somewhat under developed.
I'm quite tall and lanky and since COVID I've canned going to the gym and do weights at home instead.
I love the way it makes my upper body feel stronger.

Awesome. Weights will do a lot of good for your body yeah, I have a lot of friends who do long distance running, if you build up a bit of muscle it strengthens you a bit and helps apparently. I can't run though I hate it lol

The thing with running is that it's a high impact exercise so you're more likely to injure your hip or knee, some runners I've seen with hip problems are like always complaining about being in pain it's pretty bad.

Proper gait analysis running trainers are the comfiest shoes ever though - it's like walking on a cloud. :mrgreen:

Wolfram87 wrote:
Lunella wrote:

The program lets you get really strong quite quickly. Though I made a bit of a blunder and failed to read the part where it says you shouldn't do the program for more than 2 weeks straight. I did it for 5 weeks straight, and now my elbows make noises that I'm pretty sure they shouldn't be making. Will be getting back into the stronglifts thing, tho.

I guess you can like over-exert yourself a bit but it's worth doing.

I remember when I grew my first muscle on my arms, I was going around to my work colleagues "LOOK I GREW THIS" and everyone laughing :mrgreen:

You should get back into it though it only makes you fitter and mentally healthier. :)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2020, 7:31 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Lunella wrote:

I had a shoulder injury which made sounds as a result of extensive stress.
I thought it would never go away, but it did.