Are you fully vaccinated for COVID-19?

Page 10 of 13 [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 6:08 am

Nope. I don’t intend to. I don’t travel and only go for basic needs. I’m hypersensitive so I don’t trust the effect of this newer drug into my system. I’m not buying that people do it to protect others, because most people I know who got vaxxed did it because of their own personal concern.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 9:33 am

Fixxer wrote:
I’m not buying that people do it to protect others, because most people I know who got vaxxed did it because of their own personal concern.
Sure, lots of people will get the vaccine to protect themselves. The doctors and scientists, however, want us to get vaccinated to protect ourselves and others.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 9:56 am

Double Retired wrote:
Fixxer wrote:
I’m not buying that people do it to protect others, because most people I know who got vaxxed did it because of their own personal concern.
Sure, lots of people will get the vaccine to protect themselves. The doctors and scientists, however, want us to get vaccinated to protect ourselves and others.

Especially younger people who got vaccinated as early as possible - they weren't at super high risk, then, and did it to protect themselves but Also elders.. grandparents, other peoples' grandparents etc.

But now it's a different story.. Delta variant doesn't care how old/young you are. The people filling hospitals are unvaccinated people aged 20-40 + some children. It's an entirely new ball game and it's ever more important that people get vaccinated to protect themselves. The whole "I'm not 65-80+ years old so I don't need it," thought process is now moot. Everyone that can be should be vaccinated asap.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 11:40 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Delta variant doesn't care how old/young you are. The people filling hospitals are unvaccinated people aged 20-40 + some children. It's an entirely new ball game and it's ever more important that people get vaccinated to protect themselves. The whole "I'm not 65-80+ years old so I don't need it," thought process is now moot. Everyone that can be should be vaccinated asap.

If you're correct, I suppose there's going to be a lot of poetic justice happening soon.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 4:44 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Delta variant doesn't care how old/young you are. The people filling hospitals are unvaccinated people aged 20-40 + some children. It's an entirely new ball game and it's ever more important that people get vaccinated to protect themselves. The whole "I'm not 65-80+ years old so I don't need it," thought process is now moot. Everyone that can be should be vaccinated asap.

If you're correct, I suppose there's going to be a lot of poetic justice happening soon.
Do you mean this?
"99% of COVID deaths are now of unvaccinated people, experts say"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 4:52 pm

being that i'm in the "dead zone" between vaccinations, i wonder how much the first shot will protect me?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 9:04 pm

auntblabby wrote:
being that i'm in the "dead zone" between vaccinations, i wonder how much the first shot will protect me?

None of the websites I've seen, that purport to explain what the % protection for a single shot is, are very clear, and rarely make it plain whether they're talking about catching it and getting serious symptoms or just being tested positive, and they're also filled with lots of ifs and buts about the efficacy testing being done in different ways etc. As a rough guess I'd say 60%, though obviously it would depend on which vaccine, how many days after, and probably a number of other factors. I've also heard that % protection or "% efficacy" can't realistically be used as an individual's chances of catching the virus. Personally I wouldn't feel much safer after 1 jab than after none, but I'm notoriously risk-averse.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 9:10 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

None of the websites I've seen, that purport to explain what the % protection for a single shot is, are very clear, and rarely make it plain whether they're talking about catching it and getting serious symptoms or just being tested positive, and they're also filled with lots of ifs and buts about the efficacy testing being done in different ways etc. As a rough guess I'd say 60%, though obviously it would depend on which vaccine, how many days after, and probably a number of other factors. I've also heard that % protection or "% efficacy" can't realistically be used as an individual's chances of catching the virus. Personally I wouldn't feel much safer after 1 jab than after none, but I'm notoriously risk-averse.

thank you. i wish to hell i'd done this back in april when it was first offered me. i was chicken and full of inertia.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 9:16 pm

Double Retired wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Do you mean this?

Looks like it's started then.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 9:21 pm

the 27th can't come blinkin' soon enough.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

14 Aug 2021, 10:24 am

auntblabby wrote:

After the first Pfizer shot it takes 2 weeks for you to be immunized.

I just got my first shot. Arm is getting better especially in the shower, so soothing, impressive. For a long time there was confusion where i could get it. There was an ambulance car in town but it was titled "home vaccines" so i wasnt sure and was busy to ask about where to get my vaccine. Online research pointed to a close high school but there was nobody and no titles or phones on the doors or anywhere on it.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

14 Aug 2021, 11:07 am

When You Are Fully Vaccinated
People are considered fully vaccinated:

2 weeks after their second shot in a 2-dose series, like the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or
2 weeks after a single-shot vaccine, like Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/second-shot.html

Based on this, i imagine after the first Pfizer shot, even though you need both to be good, it takes 2 weeks for the body to build immunity against the strains of virus contained in the first shot.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 1:38 pm

Double Retired wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Do you mean this?

Yeah, that. It's sad though that a lot of otherwise reasonably intelligent people have been consuming bs lies as their news source and they trust these anti-lib talking heads.. with their lives. People like my uncle who's in his mid 50's or so, an avid consumer of tucker carlson's white supremacy and anti-science nonsense.. I've heard via other family members that he has no plans to get "the vaccine," because he's been convinced by faux news that there's some sort of evil plot to harm people with the vaccines. So stupid. Instead he'll take his chances and maybe end up sick or dead I guess. Fortunately for him, even though numbers are rising here they're still not terrible compared to places in the USA.. and he's very antisocial so likely doesn't catch even common colds at the best of times.

And even worse are the children of antivaxxers who can't make their own decisions.. who's parents let tucker carlson and mtg and the like tell them to decline the vaccines bcuz freed0mz! :roll: :( Def not as bad for grown adults who consume nonsense "news," sources instead of listening to doctors and scientists and decide for themselves not to get vaccinated. Much, much, worse when people make terrible medical decisions for their children.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 1:44 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
...even though numbers are rising here they're still not terrible compared to places in the USA..

COVID-19 in the U.S.: How do Canada's provinces rank against American states?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 5:37 pm

healthline: "Why Do You Need Two Doses for Some COVID-19 Vaccines?"

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 7:35 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
And even worse are the children of antivaxxers who can't make their own decisions.. who's parents let tucker carlson and mtg and the like tell them to decline the vaccines bcuz freed0mz! :roll: :( Def not as bad for grown adults who consume nonsense "news," sources instead of listening to doctors and scientists and decide for themselves not to get vaccinated. Much, much, worse when people make terrible medical decisions for their children.

It would be nice if they made a few rules about that, one allowing children to get the jab in a strictly confidential way (like they do in the UK at least for contraception above a certain age), and another outlawing a parent's right to interfere (again the UK has been known to override parental wishes, e.g. when Jehovah's Witnesses were against their kids having blood transfusions).