Are you fully vaccinated for COVID-19?

Page 4 of 13 [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 8:48 pm

steve30 wrote:
I haven't had any Covid vaccines and have no plans to do so.

Finally, someone who actually rebels against the idea of vaccines. What is your reason for not getting vaccinated?

My reasons are:
1. I don't trust the government
2. The vaccines were produced too quickly
3. There has been a lot of unfortunate vaccine-related effects and illnesses particularly in younger people
4. People keep filling my head with frightening conspiracy theories (see number 1)
5. I'm worried that after having the vaccines the media might announce that there's evidence of long-term life-threatening effects from the vaccines and then I'm going to panic
6. The government has signed a thing to say that they're not responsible if anything goes wrong with the vaccines (see number 5)

Saying "getting long COVID is more likely, and worse, than future ill effects from the vaccines" doesn't convince me into getting vaccinated. As long as other people are vaccinated and they're happy, that's all that matters. I'm not going to be forced into doing something I'm not comfortable with yet. Maybe in a few months time when I've got myself psyched up and the vaccines have been around long enough to be proven to be safe long-term.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 9:34 pm

I've had a double dose of the vaccine (AstraZeneca version). Was a little apprehensive when I heard of some of the alleged side-effects (eg death), but on the whole I'd like to think it was the right decision.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 10:09 pm

As this BioSpace article explains, the COVID-19 vaccine development was risky financially...but they were careful with the science.

The U.S. uses the Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, and Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) COVID-19 Vaccines and vaccinations started in December 2020. Currently, 68% of the U.S. adult population has had at least one vaccination shot (and nearly 60% of the adult population is fully vaccinated, that's more than 150 million people) so--at least with those three types--the U.S. has quite a bit of real-life experience. (Yep. We were the Guinea Pigs.)

And it now appears that, within the U.S., there is still a Pandemic in the unvaccinated population.

The vaccines are working, but only in the people that have been vaccinated.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 2:06 am

Joe90 wrote:
3. There has been a lot of unfortunate vaccine-related effects and illnesses particularly in younger people
4. People keep filling my head with frightening conspiracy theories (see number 1)
5. I'm worried that after having the vaccines the media might announce that there's evidence of long-term life-threatening effects from the vaccines and then I'm going to panic
6. The government has signed a thing to say that they're not responsible if anything goes wrong with the vaccines (see number 5)

1. The government didn't produce the vaccines.
2. They've been working on the vaccines for about ten years.
3. Chances of serious side-effects are less than one in a million.
4. Ignore them.
5. [redacted]
6. It's the same reason that coffee cups say "CAUTION: CONTENTS HOT!" on them.
Also, you have to sign a consent form when you get the vaccine. A lot of medical procedures require consent.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 2:16 am

I have received my first and second shots of Maderna in Feb and Mar. I was pleasantly surprised by how different I felt when I would go to the store. I no longer use the hand sanitizer since it came out that some of the brands contained benzene.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 2:31 am

Quote:
2. They've been working on the vaccines for about ten years

How can they have been working on the vaccines for 10 years if the COVID is a new virus that only started last year? :?

Unless the government knew this was going to happen...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 2:34 am

Quote:

Then what's the problem? If the vaccinated people are protected then why does my (fully vaccinated) partner think that I'm a walking risk to others if I'm not vaccinated?

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 2:37 am

How often does a fully-vaccinated person need a booster shot?

When I was very young, I was vaccinated against things like polio and rotavirus. Only got ONE vaccination, and never had to fear getting those viruses.

With COVID-19, we went from panic, to vaccination, to vaccination may not fully protect you. Is this a magical virus, or is the vaccine an atypical one? Normally, once vaccinated against a virus, most people require NO FURTHER vaccination. Why is Corona so exceptional and are any of these COVID vaccines really effective if they require constant boosters?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 2:40 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
How often does a fully-vaccinated person need a booster shot?

When I was very young, I was vaccinated against things like polio and rotavirus. Only got ONE vaccination, and never had to fear getting those viruses.

With COVID-19, we went from panic, to vaccination, to vaccination may not fully protect you. Is this a magical virus, or is the vaccine an atypical one? Normally, once vaccinated against a virus, most people require NO FURTHER vaccination. Why is Corona so exceptional and are any of these COVID vaccines really effective if they require constant boosters?

People have the flu shot every year.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Jul 2021, 4:17 am

I got my 2nd Pfizer vaccine a couple weeks ago & I believe that the side-effects I had from the 2nd vaccine were way worse than catching Covid would be for me. I was fine after my 1st vaccine & the day I got the 2nd one but I felt like complete $hit the day after the 2nd one. My head was burning up but my body was freezing, I was delirious & talking about wanting to blow my head off with a shotgun, I felt very nauseous but luckily I did not vomit, my body was sore especially my arm where I got the shot, & I could barely get out of bed for anything. I mostly slept & I was a lot better the day after. My girlfriend got her vaccines the same time I got mine & very luckily she was not feeling much worse than she usually is after she got the 2nd one. She had plans to spend a couple nights with her family the day after our 2nd one but she could not go off that day & leave me by myself in the wretched shape I was in. Very luckily I was mostly fine the day after so she left then.

Joe90 wrote:
steve30 wrote:
I haven't had any Covid vaccines and have no plans to do so.

Finally, someone who actually rebels against the idea of vaccines. What is your reason for not getting vaccinated?

My reasons are:

Saying "getting long COVID is more likely, and worse, than future ill effects from the vaccines" doesn't convince me into getting vaccinated. As long as other people are vaccinated and they're happy, that's all that matters. I'm not going to be forced into doing something I'm not comfortable with yet. Maybe in a few months time when I've got myself psyched up and the vaccines have been around long enough to be proven to be safe long-term.
I have similar concerns you do Joe but I ended up getting the vaccine because the Covid restrictions have lessened here & will lessen even more soon but they are officially only lessened for fully vaccinated people. I hate having to wear masks when I go anywhere because it is very hard for me to breath with em & I feel very claustrophobic wearing them. I think I would actually rather carry a portable oxygen tank & mask when going out cuz at least then I'd be able to breath in oxygen instead of re-breathing the same carbon dioxide I just breathed out. Not being required to wear masks is the main reason I got the vaccines. It's basically an honor system when going in places but I do NOT want any trouble if somebody who is freaking out or has a chip on their shoulder asks me if I'm vaccinated & demands to see the card. I think the vaccine card is starting to replace non-driver license IDs.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 7:19 am

Yes, I am.

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jul 2021, 9:47 am

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:

Then what's the problem? If the vaccinated people are protected then why does my (fully vaccinated) partner think that I'm a walking risk to others if I'm not vaccinated?

The issue here is that covid vaccines are about 90% effective. This means that they will protect the majority of people who have them, but not everyone. If you have one, it could, in theory, help to stop you spreading it to someone for whom the vaccine is not effective.

I personally wouldn't call you much of a risk. If you are not at particular risk of the disease, and are concerned about side effects of the vaccine, I'd suggest that you don't have the vaccine.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 9:57 am

Joe90 wrote:
[...] If the vaccinated people are protected then why does my (fully vaccinated) partner think that I'm a walking risk to others if I'm not vaccinated?
The likeliest reason being that the coronavirus mutates in unvaccinated people, and that these mutations (like the Delta Variant) are easier for unvaccinated people to contract, and are more likely to be spread by unvaccinated people.

Vaccinated people, on the other hand, are less likely to contract the virus; and if they do contract the virus, the vaccine will likely defeat it before it could mutate into more virulent forms.

The coronavirus has become a pandemic only among the unvaccinated.  Those of us who have received the vaccine are less likely to contract and spread the virus than the unvaccinated.

It is fair to point out that a small fraction of those who are not vaccinated have genuine medical problems that either prevent them from safely receiving the vaccine, or that render the vaccine ineffective when taken.

The rest are volunteering to receive the Darwin Award.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 19 Jul 2021, 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 10:04 am

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:

How can they have been working on the vaccines for 10 years if the COVID is a new virus that only started last year? :?

Because the type they used (mRNA vaccines) have been around far longer than the pandemic. They're not as "new" as people think they are and fears over them are unfounded. It's odd how people "scared" of this vaccine are too lazy to do any actual research on it, but I'm not surprised when the word "rebel" was just used about not getting it like this whole thing is some game.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 10:06 am

The Delta Variant is spreading like wildfire.

My advice, unequivocally, is to get both doses of whatever vaccine require 2 doses; and 1 dose of vaccines requiring only 1 dose----with a strong preference to those requiring 2 doses.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 19 Jul 2021, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 10:08 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Quote:

Because the type they used (mRNA vaccines) have been around far longer than the pandemic. They're not as "new" as people think they are and fears over them are unfounded. It's odd how people "scared" of this vaccine are too lazy to do any actual research on it, but I'm not surprised when the word "rebel" was just used about not getting it like this whole thing is some game.

I don't do research on it because the internet seems to be full of fake news and lies so it's hard to rely on anything. Again I didn't know what other word to use other than "rebel", I just meant someone who doesn't do everything by the book.