12 Jul 2021, 8:16 pm

Fully vaxed (Pfizer).

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2021, 8:26 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Some cancers occur without any symptoms, then by the time you do get some sort of symptoms the cancer has already spread and cannot be cured.

I did get lucky with a very treatable form of cancer, but it was still a really rough time for me.

Joe90 wrote:
So many people, particularly younger and healthy people, get over COVID without being ill or needing treatment.

Perhaps, but you and I are in the age bracket that is more likely to have long-term symptoms. And females are four times more likely than males. And people who have less severe reactions to the original illness are also much more likely.
I wouldn't take it lightly.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2021, 9:49 pm

Some people's doctors have told them they cannot get vaccinated. Some children are too young to get vaccinated. Those groups are vulnerable and should be very, very careful.

But, excluding those groups, it seems to me there are good reasons to get vaccinated.

That I know of, I personally know six folk who have caught COVID-19. One died, one had lingering symptoms but currently seems to be doing well, and one is a child who was only recently detected to be infected and we are waiting and hoping she does OK.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2021, 11:45 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Some cancers occur without any symptoms, then by the time you do get some sort of symptoms the cancer has already spread and cannot be cured.

I did get lucky with a very treatable form of cancer, but it was still a really rough time for me.

Joe90 wrote:
So many people, particularly younger and healthy people, get over COVID without being ill or needing treatment.

Perhaps, but you and I are in the age bracket that is more likely to have long-term symptoms. And females are four times more likely than males. And people who have less severe reactions to the original illness are also much more likely.
I wouldn't take it lightly.

I heard men are more likely to get ill from COVID than women.
I know a lot of people who got COVID last year but got over it and are fine now. Only one person I knew died from it but he was elderly. And only one person got severely ill with it but she had underlying health conditions, and she's fine now.

They obviously don't tell you how many people got COVID and fully recovered. They only want everyone to live in fear, which most people on WP seem to be doing.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 12:34 pm

First shot Moderna in April I think, second shot Pfizer July 7th. IF there are recommended boosters for variants, I'll get them, too.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 4:18 pm

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 7:12 pm

Joe90 wrote:
They obviously don't tell you how many people got COVID and fully recovered. They only want everyone to live in fear, which most people on WP seem to be doing.
I was a lot more concerned about possibly catching COVID-19 before I got vaccinated. And if they recommend a booster shot I will not be afraid to get it.

In the U.S., the vaccines seem to be working.

It seems to me there are good reasons to get vaccinated.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 7:25 pm

I didn't get the vaccine because I'm "afraid" of anything, I just don't enjoy becoming ill for no reason when I can easily get immunity from things in a little vial. I get a flu shot even though I've never been hospitalized from the flu and I get every other vaccine I'm eligible for, doesn't matter if some of those things won't kill me.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 3:14 am

Joe90 wrote:
I heard men are more likely to get ill from COVID than women.

I don't know about the initial COVID infection, but as far as Long COVID goes, about 80% of those affected are female.

Joe90 wrote:
They obviously don't tell you how many people got COVID and fully recovered.

Over here they list "number recovered", but I think it actually just means "didn't die". I can't imagine they get back to everyone who's been tested to ask if they're still suffering from symptoms months after infection.

I wish the media/medicine would give more attention to it...I mean it's a lot better than it was last year, but it still kind of feels like they're saying "Oh, COVID is gone now, ALL GONE, no more sick people!"

...kind of like how they never mention that children with autism grow into adults with autism... :roll:

But they have been doing a few studies...I forget which country it was, but they were saying 10% of COVID survivors have ongoing symptoms after recovering, but now they've updated it to at least 33%.

Joe90 wrote:
They only want everyone to live in fear, which most people on WP seem to be doing.

I don't want to live in fear, but I have to. I really, really, really don't want to catch it again. And I know for a fact that most of the people who are taking their masks off are anti-vaxxers.
I can't take any chances, I have a family to think about now.

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 7:18 am

I am fully vaccinated. Where I live has a very low vaccination percentage, and it enrages me. Most of my family believes the anti-vaccine propaganda, and my aunt thinks that the government is implanting micro chips into our brains. My dad’s coworkers think that metal magically sticks to your arm after the vaccine. They don’t think they’re just sweaty and sticky after working in a warehouse all day.

Idiots. The world is starting to become the movie “Idiocracy”. And I believe if the end of the world isn’t due to climate change specifically, it’ll be due to pure stupidity in another form. Freedom of speech is a necessary evil.

My hope is that natural selection will wipe out the idiotic. I wish my family weren’t among the uneducated. I’ve tried to convince them but I also must allow them the right to their free speech. Although it seems so blatantly clear that this is a case of opinion vs fact, the mind can distort reality due to fear, ignorance, etc.

Anyway, I will continue to do what I need to do, and I will benefit from it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 12:37 pm

I had COVID. Before there was mass testing.

I wasn't ill enough to get tested in March, 2020. The doctor just told me to quarantine for 14 days, take Tylenol, go to the emergency room if symptoms get worse, and don't bother him :wink:

My COVID lasted 3 weeks. It was just like a mild flu; I've had worse flus. This "flu" lasted longer than most, though. After COVID, I lost 25 pounds through exercise. When I started exercising in April, 2020, I could barely walk 3 miles. Now, I walk and run 10-15 miles a day.

I get occasional dizziness, and stuffed ears. Otherwise, I have no ill effects from my COVID.

I know I had COVID because I was positive for antibodies.

I took two Moderna vaccines----the last one April 6th. Minor flu-like symptoms, especially after the second dose. I still walked 10 miles the day I had the symptoms.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 12:53 pm

Yes, I've had both vaccines. It took me quite a while to do research and feel comfortable, but I did it.

I support the rights of people to decide for themselves, without guilting or shaming people who decide it isn't right for them or that they're waiting to make a choice.

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 1:31 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Yes, I've had both vaccines. It took me quite a while to do research and feel comfortable, but I did it.

I support the rights of people to decide for themselves, without guilting or shaming people who decide it isn't right for them or that they're waiting to make a choice.

I agree that everyone has a right to their own opinion/decision. I just wish people would lean more towards science than base-less fear mongering. I haven’t guilted any of my family members, but I have tried to voice my opinion as they voice theirs, and educate them in a respectful manner. My cousin is an anti-vaxxer in general, not just for the covid vaccine. His daughter will not get any vaccines and is going to be homeschooled. In that case I feel like freedom of speech has turned into child endangerment.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 1:40 pm

I wasn’t ranting on you or anyone here Brainiac. I understand how you feel.

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 1:41 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I wasn’t ranting on you or anyone here Brainiac. I understand how you feel.

Oh I know. Just responding.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 5:00 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

I'm glad you feel this way. I feel the same, I still haven't made up my mind yet on whether to have the vaccine or not, but I'm not against those who have had their vaccines.

But this vaccine lark is causing arguments between me and my boyfriend. He's had both his vaccinations, but seems to think that he will die from COVID if I get it if I'm not vaccinated. But the vaccines aren't going to make the virus disappear, people are still going to catch COVID if they've been vaccinated, the purpose of the vaccines are to just stop people getting ill from it, just like the flu vaccines. A few years ago, in the care home where I worked, all the elderly residents had their flu vaccine but there was still an outbreak of the flu during the winter and the elderly people still got it. But thankfully the vaccine prevented a lot of hospitalisations and deaths. So it's the same with the COVID vaccines. So I don't know what my boyfriend's so worried about. His smoking habits will more likely kill him than contracting a virus that he's protected from.