Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

roccoslife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jul 2020, 12:07 pm

Anyone have any experience with this. Ive been trying to do it for the past week as well as intermittent fasting for 16 hours a day. Only problem im coming across is what to actually eat. Ive mainly been eating eggs and veggies with butter but its getting pretty boring. Some good snack ideas would be useful too, as i dont feel like im getting quite enough calories throughout the day, usually only getting in 2 meals a day, less if im working.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 107 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 12:32 pm

When it comes to snacks, I found the Atkins bars be a good keto friendly substitute.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 12:49 pm

What is the purpose of trying to do both keto and fasting? Are you trying to lose weight?

roccoslife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jul 2020, 1:27 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:
What is the purpose of trying to do both keto and fasting? Are you trying to lose weight?

lose fat yes, and try to preserve as much muscle as possible.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 107 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 2:12 pm

I have heard that fasting slows your metabolism and can be counter productive in weight loss. As for what to eat on a keto diet, the main point of the keto diet is to avoid carbs as much as possible, so as far as eating veggies, I suggest like beans, avocados, nuts and other veggies that have loads of fat and protein. Just about all meat is good for keto.

RadioDog
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Aug 2020, 6:34 pm

Check out Diet Doctor - it's an MD website (so no fluffies), but he lists lots of info about how to do keto and fasting, what foods to eat/not eat, and so on.

[Edit to add that I have no affiliation with the above. It's just one site I visit once in awhile]

"Autism isn't an illness but it's a condition that messes with our ability to have our psychological needs met." - DuckHairback on this site.

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2021, 10:16 am

Diets don't work long-term. To maintain weight loss, there needs to be a lifestyle change that you can consistently implement your whole life.

Keto is cutting out an entire macronutrient. The more restrictive a diet is, the harder it is maintain long-term. This is the type of stuff that eventually causes people to fall off the wagon, and go back to their old habits.

Are you never going to eat bread again, every day of your life until you're 90? Same thing with intermittent fasting; are you never going to eat after 4PM again until you're 90?

If keto works for you long-term, great. It works for some. But what happens to most people, is they lose a lot of weight in 6-12 months, then fall back into their old habits and regain it back.

AnaBukowski
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Oct 2021, 10:57 am

I've done it for quite some time. I'm basically only eating meat (and other animals products) and veggies. It is important to keep snacks on hand so you don't reach for carby stuff that's always more convenient to grab from the store when you're tired or in a hurry.
Right now, I have a jar of jalapeno quick-pickled quail eggs and some chorizo in my fridge, and also several types of nuts that I can snack on (pecans, macadamia have the lowest carb content). You can also make a really great snack of you have some cut salami slices, cream cheese and pickles. Or just some string cheese. You can make a meat and cheese platter. Lots of options.