Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2022, 6:36 am

Jamesy wrote:
Minervx_2 wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
I currently weigh 171 pounds at nearly 5ft8 and some people recently described me as thin and skinny.

Your height and weight equates to 26 BMI. However, the average person in many developed countries is higher than that. So, while you're not thin in an absolute sense, you're more thin than the avg person.

Is that a good or a bad thing that I am thinner than the average person?

Absolutely a good thing in this case. The aim should be to be a healthy weight, achieved through healthy intake of nutrition (balanced diet), expense of energy (exercise), and rest, not your relative weight.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2022, 12:21 pm

Eat more food more often.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2022, 12:24 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

That's my preferred form of lifting.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2022, 2:46 pm

You need to be consuming a decent amount of protein everyday (non training days too) to grow muscle from weightlifting.

I have always done weightlifting for years around other exercise but have been fairly dedicated to just weightlifting now for around 6 years. I am still learning new stuff all the time and always tweaking what I am doing to get better results.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2022, 2:49 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

That's my preferred form of lifting.

:heart:

And lift, and chomp, and om nom nom.. :mrgreen:

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 8:22 am

Recently I have been doing more walking and less eating and have gone from 170 pounds in the morning to 167 lbs. Mind you I am still overweight by bmi standards.

I still lift weights though

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 8:58 am

Jamesy wrote:
Recently I have been doing more walking and less eating and have gone from 170 pounds in the morning to 167 lbs. Mind you I am still overweight by bmi standards.

i wish i'd known before that you were a weight lifter, that tells me that the BMI is not your friend, it is not going to be as accurate as it was designed for people of normal to sedentary muscle build/lifestyle. muscle is heavier than body fat, so body fat % is your preferred method of judging your body composition/weight, you do that either with pinch-test calipers or whole-body tank immersion. find out what your body fat % is, <10% is better. if you want more muscle bulk, raise your T. you can do that a good way [nutrition/supplements, exercising larger muscle groups] or the bad way [anabolic steroids]. what i take is a preparation containing 3 grams daily of D-Aspartic Acid [proven to raise T levels by about a third on average], Tongkat Ali, 2 grams daily of Panax Ginseng, and Testofen [concentrate of the fenusides of Fenugreek], all of which have raised my T from subclinical [below 99ml/dl] to in the 500 range [normal for an old geezer like meself]. you could experiment with those, i'd like to hear if you find it allows you to build some muscle mass.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 10:34 am

auntblabby wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

i wish i'd known before that you were a weight lifter, that tells me that the BMI is not your friend, it is not going to be as accurate as it was designed for people of normal to sedentary muscle build/lifestyle. muscle is heavier than body fat, so body fat % is your preferred method of judging your body composition/weight, you do that either with pinch-test calipers or whole-body tank immersion. find out what your body fat % is, <10% is better. if you want more muscle bulk, raise your T. you can do that a good way [nutrition/supplements, exercising larger muscle groups] or the bad way [anabolic steroids]. what i take is a preparation containing 3 grams daily of D-Aspartic Acid [proven to raise T levels by about a third on average], Tongkat Ali, 2 grams daily of Panax Ginseng, and Testofen [concentrate of the fenusides of Fenugreek], all of which have raised my T from subclinical [below 99ml/dl] to in the 500 range [normal for an old geezer like meself]. you could experiment with those, i'd like to hear if you find it allows you to build some muscle mass.

should i still stick to your diet advice of avoid things like gravies, chips/craackers, flour-based sauces, pastries, white rice, white potatoes, wheat/whole wheat bread or any other kind of bread for that matter, anything with any kind of sugar in it. and alcohol. each more veggies [but NOT potatoes!] in their place.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 10:38 am

Jamesy wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

should i still stick to your diet advice of avoid things like gravies, chips/craackers, flour-based sauces, pastries, white rice, white potatoes, wheat/whole wheat bread or any other kind of bread for that matter, anything with any kind of sugar in it. and alcohol. each more veggies [but NOT potatoes!] in their place.

to a point, yes. avoid the refined carbs. eat whole carbs in the form of non-starchy veggies and fruits such as berries. a nutritional MD such as dr. Joel Fuhrman would say to follow the G-BOMBS diet-
Greens
Beans
Onions
Mushrooms
Berries
Seeds
in the form of a large salad daily as the main meal of the day. you don't want anything like breads or pastas or gravies. no candy in any form. no sugary sodas or fruit drinks. if it is a pre-packaged food, avoid it. ask your fellow gym folk what they eat, chances are they follow some version of this. you prolly have have brown/wild rice and sweet potatoes/yams as those have a lower GI than white potatoes and white rice, and they will give you quick energy in the gym, while the healthy fats [coconut oil, mct oil NON-RANCID] will give you longer-duration energy. generally avoid white ANYTHING. and by all means have a cheat day where you eat what you want within limits, the stuff you avoid the other 6 days per week.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 10:43 am

auntblabby wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

to a point, yes. avoid the refined carbs. eat whole carbs in the form of non-starchy veggies and fruits such as berries. a nutritional MD such as dr. Joel Fuhrman would say to follow the G-BOMBS diet-
Greens
Beans
Onions
Mushrooms
Berries
Seeds
in the form of a large salad daily as the main meal of the day. you don't want anything like breads or pastas or gravies. no candy in any form. no sugary sodas or fruit drinks. if it is a pre-packaged food, avoid it. ask your fellow gym folk what they eat, chances are they follow some version of this. you prolly have have brown/wild rice and sweet potatoes/yams as those have a lower GI than white potatoes and white rice, and they will give you quick energy in the gym, while the healthy fats [coconut oil, mct oil NON-RANCID] will give you longer-duration energy. generally avoid white ANYTHING. and by all means have a cheat day where you eat what you want within limits, the stuff you avoid the other 6 days per week.

I feel slimmer since following your diet advice

problem is though I have no clue how to measure my bodyfat

Last edited by Jamesy on 09 Mar 2022, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 10:45 am

Jamesy wrote:

i am glad i was able to help a brother aspie :) chuffed in fact :D

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 10:49 am

auntblabby wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

also I find I am not sweating in my sleep as much as before

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 10:51 am

Jamesy wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

giving up the foods i described lowers systemic inflammation which has among other benefits, less sweating. you may find that with less body fat % you may sleep cooler.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 10:54 am

auntblabby wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

giving up the foods i described lowers systemic inflammation which has among other benefits, less sweating. you may find that with less body fat % you may sleep cooler.

any other tips on how I can reduce my body fat even more?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 11:08 am

Jamesy wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

pay attention to your brown fat which becomes active when you deliberately expose yourself to direct cold temperatures on your skin. there is at least one guy on the web who takes cold showers and skis naked in icy weather who maintains this will raise your metabolism and burn off fat. but beware of losing too much fat, you may find a point where it interferes with your T levels, as cholesterol in fat is one ingredient of T and also estradiol [male estrogen], you need a balance of both. so you will have to find your own "sweet spot" in terms of body fat %/weight.

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 11:32 am

Jamesy wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

zone 2 training is a great way to increase fat metabolism.
if you combine this with a few high intensity intervals you'll shed the fat over a few months.