Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2023, 5:58 pm

For the last 2 or 3 days I've been feeling a bit under the weather. I've had body aches, which have gone now but I still keep getting a bad headache whenever I move my head or do anything. The headache whips across the back of my head when I bend or stand or do any activity and I feel like I'm going to black out or something, but I don't. I only feel OK when I'm laying down. My eyes don't hurt to look at light or anything, but my eyes hurt when I move them from side to side.

I think I've had this before, which turned out to be a virus then. There are colds going about at work (as usual) so hopefully it might just be that. I don't have a stuffed nose or a sore throat or anything. I've taken my temperature and it's normal, even though I have been feeling a bit feverish on and off.

I have got a doctor's appointment this month but for different reasons that I don't appear to be suffering with at the moment during this whatever I've got right now.

But does it sound like a virus to you? I'm worried it might be something worse like a stroke or meningitis or something. I'm only 33 and have never fainted or had a seizure in my life, and there's no history of strokes in my family (except in my grandmother but she was 80 and it was down to old age and Alzheimer's).

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2023, 6:01 pm

I've had two strokes and trust me, you'd know. They were the freakiest, scariest medical experiences of my life. If you don't have respiratory or tummy symptoms my first thought would be dehydration or maybe just plain vertigo which is usually an inner-ear infection that you might not even feel. Do you drink enough water?

Hope you feel better soon.

PS - I can never move my eyes side to side without wanting to pass out from dizziness, except for reading. When I want to look at something I have to turn my whole head. That was true even pre-strokes.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2023, 6:14 pm

I was diagnosed with vertigo a few years ago. Or, to be more accurate, my eardrums are permanently perforated because I've had several grommet operations, so the vertigo is caused by that.

I am drinking more water than I normally do.
Also my stomach is hungry but my mind isn't. All I fancy eating is fruit.

I'm sorry you went through such an awful time. Must have been very traumatic for you.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2023, 6:23 pm

I did see your eardrum comment but forgot about it. That could be the cause, maybe? Also is it possible you need glasses? I think I saw you mention that as well. I can't remember if you got some. To answer your original question no it doens't really sound like a virus to me but of course I could be wrong. If you're drinking a lot of water are you keeping track of your blood pressure?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2023, 6:30 pm

I'm on the contraceptive pill and have regular blood pressure checks with the doctor and it's always been normal.

I looked up symptoms for eye strain but I don't appear to have any. Although my nose is unusually completely dry and clear, my forehead feels bloated, like it hurts to frown or make other facial expressions. But although I suffer with my sinuses a lot, I actually haven't been these last few days, even though the pollen count is high. Nothing in my lifestyle has changed recently. So that's a bit weird.

I don't feel well though. I just feel weak and dizzy.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2023, 6:44 pm

It could be the flu, The eye and face discomfort seem like something sinus related (which can happen with a cold or flu) or it could be a sinus infection or possibly an ear infection (which can cause fever or flu-like symptoms). If rest, and fluids along with whatever over the counter medicines don't help or you don't seem to be improving over time, then get it checked out, but it probably not anything serious. The symptoms you are describing don't indicate a stroke.

Last edited by DanielW on 06 Apr 2023, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2023, 6:45 pm

Joe,

Please consult a nurse or physician.  It seems like a viral infection to me, but I am not a doctor.  It could be a cold, it could be the flu, or (may God forbid) it could be something worse.

Please take care of yourself and get well soon!

-Fnord

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2023, 8:56 pm

Fnord wrote:
Joe,

Please consult a nurse or physician.  It seems like a viral infection to me, but I am not a doctor.  It could be a cold, it could be the flu, or (may God forbid) it could be something worse.

Please take care of yourself and get well soon!

-Fnord

It's Easter weekend. There will be no access to doctors until Tuesday. Unless I want to go to A&E, which I don't, as I'll be waiting for like 8 hours only to be told it's a virus of some sort. And I think waiting in A&E will make my headache worse with stress.
That's the NHS for you.

But thanks for your concern.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2023, 11:07 am

I phoned NHS 111 and after a series of questions that I answered truthfully, they are certain it's a cold, even though I don't have a stuffed nose or anything.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2023, 10:27 pm

With meningitis it usually is very painful to try and touch your chin to your chest.
Sounds like something sinus if it’s in your head.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2023, 8:56 am

The headache has eased off today. Now a similar pain has moved down to my pelvis.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2023, 6:32 pm

I still don't feel well though. :cry:
I've got a family gathering tomorrow which I've been looking forward to for weeks, and I'm going to meet a couple of new people there too. I don't want to be unwell. I feel like I'm spoiling other people's time.

I keep feeling dizzy, even though the headaches have gone now. But I feel all achy around my pelvic area and legs, and whenever I get up and walk I feel like I'm stoned or something (no, I don't do drugs at all), like my brain is about a half a second behind. It feels like vertigo but I don't feel sick at all, even though I don't have much of an appetite.

The strangest thing is, after all this time of suffering with hay fever that involves chronic rhinitis, my nose has been completely clear for about a week now, ever since I started getting this aching. And the pollen count has been high all week as well.

What the hell is going on with me? I'm a medical freak. :scratch:

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2023, 7:59 am

Do you feel dizzy?

I had a 24 hour virus which made me feel dizzy while sitting in a chair.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2023, 3:46 pm

klanka wrote:
Do you feel dizzy?

I had a 24 hour virus which made me feel dizzy while sitting in a chair.

Yes, although I don't feel sick. I can be sure it's vertigo because whenever I take a vertigo pill the dizziness wears off for about 12 hours, then returns when the pill is out of my system. But I don't feel sick though. Is it possible to have vertigo without feeling sick?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2023, 12:19 pm

It sounds like it might be your hypochondria flairing up again. Should probably get that checked out.

Seriously. You seem to always jump to conclusions and assume the worst about every sniffle or headache and I doubt that's a happy healthy way to live. You should seek some sort of counselling or therapy so as to avoid believing the sky is falling every time you sneeze.