Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 5:58 pm

I few weeks ago I felt a sort of callous area on my upper lip. It went away after about a day, but for the past few days I've felt it come back. Any ideas what this could be?

Also, for a few years I've noticed the skin on my feet and ankles (facing away from my body) have generally become very dry, and sometimes cracked and sometimes colored red or purple (I've noticed it sometimes on my elbows, too).

I have a doctor's appointment in a few weeks so I'll probably ask for some advice, but it'll put my mind at ease in the meantime if I hear what others think is wrong with my disgusting body. :roll:

WonderWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2008, 7:02 pm

I have dry skin. Here are some possibilities:

Do you live in a dry climate? If so, you could be stuck dealing with this.

Having at least 2 tablespoons of good virgin olive oil a day might help, or norwegian fish oil.

Do you dance a lot or do a sport on your feet: when you use your feet a lot, they will form callusses to protect the foot. Use a foot file and then Gold something or other foot cream. Get a heel pad in your shoes to cushion the blow of each footfall.

Get exfoliating gloves and scrub your elbows and any other dry parts of your body.

Soak in Aveeno oatmeal baths and use their moisterizer.

Prefer drinking water and herbal tea; not soda or pasterized fruit or vegetable juices.

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 9:20 am

I don't know about the lip thing...some days it feels really coarse, other days it feels more like scar tissue, other days I barely feel it.

I'm trying some moisturizers and getting back on the herbal tea for the feet and elbows. They're doing a little better, too.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 1:31 pm

Try rosehip oil if you can find it on the lip, it's great for healing skin and rebalancing it.

As for the feet, file 'em and keep them moisturised. Make sure what you're using is as natural as possible - and that's not Aveeno, just to point out, that stuff is actually quite toxic - avoiding all petroleum jelly/petroleum based products/mineral oil/paraffinum etc. It will just form a barrier between your skin and the air and dry it out, not moisturise it.

Coconut oil is great for feet - get some, roll it between your palms until it's soft (it's a 'solid' oil), then smother your heeels in it and put socks over top before bed so they'll soak in it all night. Works a treat!

As for the cause... could be a change in the weather, climate, diet... make sure you're getting enough Omega 3 oils and enough Vitamins E and A, and see what the doctor says! :)

Jan74
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2008, 9:12 am

Coconut oil applied directly to the dry cracked skin is wonderful. It is natural so no possible allergies, and it works better than any commercial moisturizer. In around 20m it is fully absorbed, so I put it on before I sleep.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 1:05 pm

If you can get hold of it (the website lists stockists) I would so highly recommend this stuff:

Trilogy 'Everything Balm'

It's the best thing I've ever used on my lips and 100% natural and organic. Made of things like rosehip oil, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, wheatgerm oil, evening primrose oil, marula oil, honey, vitamin E etc etc. Absolute miracle product.