Men and other mammals live longer if they are castrated

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2024, 6:04 am

https://www.theguardian.com/science/article/2024/may/31/men-and-other-mammals-live-longer-if-they-are-castrated-says-researcher?CMP=share_btn_url

Quote:
Whether it is the fountain of youth or the elixir of life, men have travelled the world looking for the key to increasing their longevity.

They should be looking a bit closer to home, according to one leading researcher – although after they do, they might end up taking the years God intended for them.

When it comes to increasing the lifespan of any male mammal, “there is one way you can intervene”: castration.

Cat Bohannon, the celebrated author of Eve: How the Female Body Drove 200 Million Years of Human Evolution, said men went through life “smuggling two little death nuggets”, with research suggesting an orchiectomy can lend a few more precious years.

Speaking at the Hay festival on Friday, Bohannon said castration was a “way to make male mammals live longer”. This effect was observed in American men in the mid-20th century who were institutionalised, usually because of mental illness, and castrated, and in Korean eunuchs. The castrated men lived longer than their “regularly balled peers”.

“You can castrate it. Cut off its balls. Don’t try this at home,” added Bohannon, a researcher with a PhD from Columbia University in the evolution of narrative and cognition.

While it used to be thought that the average lifespan discrepancy was behavioural – “dumb boys doing dumb boy stuff” – it in fact “seems to have something deeply to do with the immune system and cellular repair”, she said. Males “get more infections” across their lifespan and “more cancer, and the prognoses in many cases tend to be a bit worse”.

A 2012 study published in Current Biology found that the average lifespan of 81 eunuchs born between 1556 and 1861 was 70 years, which was 14.4–19.1 years longer than the lifespan of non-castrated men of similar socioeconomic status. Researchers concluded that the study “supports the idea that male sex hormones decrease the lifespan of men”.

Question for the gentlemen then, how many extra years would make it worth you considering saying goodbye to Alan and Geoffrey?

I feel like the upper range of that 2012 study, 19.1 years is getting close for me. 25 years? Yeah, maybe.

Doesn't say when you have to do the castration though, does it only work if you castrate before adulthood? Or could I lop them off now I don't really have any further use for them and still get the benefit?

Frankly, I'm surprised no Silicon Valley, weekly blood plasma transfusion types have given this a go.

Last edited by DuckHairback on 01 Jun 2024, 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

__Elijahahahaho
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2024, 6:26 am

Dubious claim. Anything like this reeks of the misandry of the "feminism" movement.

You'd have to look at why they live longer. Maybe it's because they became human blobs and never took any
risks, lived in apartments alone watching TV. No thanks.

Males are more aggressive because of their balls, this makes them more likely to do dumb s**t, also more
likely to be sent into a war for some old idiot, another factor in the average lifespan.

But there are upsides to this energy such as adventure, exploration, entrepreneurship...

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2024, 6:30 am

Edited my original message because the link to the original (full) article disappeared.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2024, 6:32 am

__Elijahahahaho wrote:
Males are more aggressive because of their balls, this makes them more likely to do dumb s**t, also more likely to be sent into a war for some old idiot, another factor in the average lifespan.

Quote:
While it used to be thought that the average lifespan discrepancy was behavioural – “dumb boys doing dumb boy stuff” – it in fact “seems to have something deeply to do with the immune system and cellular repair”, she said. Males “get more infections” across their lifespan and “more cancer, and the prognoses in many cases tend to be a bit worse”.

I'm not actually terribly interested in whether the research is valid or not, or theories about feminist scientists spreading misandry.

What I'd like to know is how many extra years of life you would want in return for your testes. That's what interests me.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2024, 9:53 am

I'd rather have my balls me

How else am I gonna spray my seed all over dirty pictures of myself

Oh and if I had to trade then I don't think any amount of years could replace my boys

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2024, 12:59 pm

Living a longer than expected life runs contrary to my goals, so I'll be holding on to them.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2024, 12:04 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Living a longer than expected life runs contrary to my goals, so I'll be holding on to them.

Maybe get a few more?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2024, 8:04 am

I think I'll keep mine, thanks.

BillyTree
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2024, 9:38 am

Sooner or later everybody dies. Balls or not. To face the challanges of life - and ultimately death - you need balls. I'll stick to my guns AND balls.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2024, 10:35 am

Hmmm... Gotta wonder if this is what its come to .......not sure , I do not want to see the end results of this procedure
on humanity?. 8O ............. :skull:

where ever you go ,there you are

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2024, 11:19 am

__Elijahahahaho wrote:
Dubious claim. Anything like this reeks of the misandry of the "feminism" movement.

You'd have to look at why they live longer. Maybe it's because they became human blobs and never took any
risks, lived in apartments alone watching TV. No thanks.

Males are more aggressive because of their balls, this makes them more likely to do dumb s**t, also more
likely to be sent into a war for some old idiot, another factor in the average lifespan.

But there are upsides to this energy such as adventure, exploration, entrepreneurship...

Correlation and causation not the same thing

Not necessarily a representative sample

Not everyone is "average". By definition, half of everything is below average. Mean, median, mode, standard deviation, chi squared, line of best fit.

The company that conducted the research might have been biased. Everyone has subconscious biases.

Not a controlled experiment

Living longer, not necessarily a good thing in all situations

Every situation is different

It is not possible to objectively measure the "quality" of a life per se

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2024, 11:56 am

DuckHairback wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Maybe get a few more?

Hmm, I can prove baseball isn't very realistic; a man with four balls doesn't walk.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2024, 12:01 pm

I guess this means trans women will outlive cis men. :)

And then cis men will hate them even more than cis women, if they don't already. :(

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2024, 12:02 pm

When I was younger I had testicular cancer and they removed one of my testicles so I guess that would be considered partial castration :D

BillyTree
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2024, 12:56 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I guess this means trans women will outlive cis men. :)

And then cis men will hate them even more than cis women, if they don't already. :(

I thought the ones that really hated trans women were old TERF:s like JK Rowling? And now maybe cis women will start hating trans men as well for being men and still have the same life expectancy as women?

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2024, 1:35 pm

Aspinator wrote:
When I was younger I had testicular cancer and they removed one of my testicles so I guess that would be considered partial castration :D

Sorry for your loss, but maybe you'll get half the extra years? In which case, congratulations?