Page 4 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Sally
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Mar 2008, 12:43 pm

i got orange belt in jujitsu last saturday, unfortunatly got knocked out in the process!

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 8:04 pm

I did Kyokushin Karate for about ten years... got to 'the one below black' but I think I'd probably get pretty badly slaughtered doing my black belt as I'm so small and female, and although for my size I'm tough, I'm not particularly strong!! Plus it's a huge commitment that didn't sit well with schooling. I haven't done it for about 2 years now though and I miss it... I love martial arts, I'd happily take another up. They're the only thing I've ever excelled at in terms of sports - I love the discipline, self-awareness, mental AND physical strength, stamina, fitness, and coordination that come with it. I hate team sports but I'd take up karate again in an instant.

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Mar 2008, 7:54 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
I love martial arts, I'd happily take another up. They're the only thing I've ever excelled at in terms of sports - I love the discipline, self-awareness, mental AND physical strength, stamina, fitness, and coordination that come with it. I hate team sports but I'd take up karate again in an instant.

Same here. I've never been able to come to terms with mainstream sports but I seem to do rather well in whatever martial art I take up.
I've spent entire basketball or soccer games without even touching the ball - in martial arts I often tend to get complimented as I make progress; I sometimes even get a social life out of them. . . :|

tybald
Raven
Raven

17 Mar 2008, 9:45 am

I've done wing chun and shaolin kung fu as an adult and judo when I was younger. I've also dabbled in TKD, ninjutsu and kickboxing but never got into them for some reason. I'm currently training in Krav Maga which I love for its directness (i.e. out and out violence!). I like the fact that a lot of the moves are adaptations of the body's natural reaction to an attack which makes it easier to learn. Its also fairly complete in that it has striking, grappling, multiple attacker defence and weapon training including firearm disarmament if you do the military style training. Its one of the few martial arts I've learned that I'd feel confident using to defend myself in the street without having to put in years and years of training.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 2:17 pm

I love martial arts like boxing and kickboxing, but eventually it gets so intense and violent that I don't enjoy it any more. That is the nature of the sport though. You need the killer instinct and viciousness to be really good, and not many people have that, even if they have good techniques and training. This is something most people wouldn't understand unless they've done it themselves. I might try going into judo or braziallian jiu jitsu again, they are both rough sports but are pretty tame compared to boxing.

SuperSteve
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Mar 2008, 9:16 am

I'm a second-level practitioner of Wing Chun Kung Fu, equal to about 2.5 years of training. Awesome art!

before that, I did 2 years of boxing.

wu_wei_lion
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Mar 2008, 2:45 pm

I studied Uechi-ryu karate for about 4 years and got to the 1st degree brown belt, one level below 1st dan. Then I studied longfist kung fu/sanshou for another 4. I'm currently too poor to attend a school but I still train on my own as much as possible. I'm surprised at the number of aspies who study martial arts. Interesting thread. :)

AussieBoy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 5:02 pm

I do tae-kwon-doe and i'm an 8th gup.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 11:35 am

i did some random kind of kempo for 8 yrs... age 10-18
then i went to college and got into aikido, hakutsuru and grappling... did those roughly 4 yrs.
went west coast and did some judo and grappling for a couple yrs.
now i'm back closer to my old aikido schools and go when i have time... which sadly isnt too often.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Mar 2008, 2:09 pm

My son does karate. He's been doing it since last september and loves it. I did some Tai chi years ago.
The karate master is good, calm, grounded, serious. My son loves the sessions.

8)

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 2:58 pm

I tried doing kung fu for 3 months. I found it incredibly difficult and uncomfortable, and I would spend days dreading the next session of it, even though I think the idea of doing it is cool.

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 3:35 pm

veresae, if you like the basic idea of doing a martial art but didnt like the lessons you took, maybe it was just the wrong art, wrong instructor, wrong whatever FOR YOU. trying around is key, really.

depending on what you found difficult and uncomfortable, you could always look ouf for an art or sport that focusses on other criteria. if, for example, endless drills of this-punch-that-kick in the air werent to your fancy, you could try boxing, for example. if the physical conditioning part of your course gave you the creeps, boxing would be just the wrong thing to do, as conditioning takes a huge role in boxing. just read around abit, take looks here, tryout lessons there... find what suits you.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 4:24 pm

The Purpose of Practicing Kumdo

The purpose of practicing Kumdo is:
To mold the mind and body,
To cultivate a vigorous spirit,
And through correct and rigid training,
To strive for improvement of Kumdo,
To hold in esteem of courtesy and honor,
To treat others with sincerity,
And to forever pursue the cultivation of oneself.

Thus, one will be able:
To be a patriot of righteousness in the highest form,
To respect and honor one's parents,
To trust, honor and loyal to friends,
To perceive and never retreat from challenges,
And to respect all lives and living things.

I'm slowly become that ideal state of mind of Kumdo. :) 8)

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 4:28 pm

Just remember that the club officers have nicknames. :lol:

I'm the Ace of Clubs.

President: The Undefeated of the East
VP:The King of Hearts
Treas: The Queen of Spades
Sec: The Jack of Diamonds
Advisor member: The Black Joker

Space
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 8:53 pm

aries wrote:
That's awesome Space! Dennis Kang is a legend. That's pretty cool that you got to watch UFC 82 with him. Do you know if he has any plans to fight in the UFC? I've heard he's a nice guy, he certainly comes across that way in the interviews I've seen him in.

He said he wants to fight in UFC, but is fighting in Dream right now. Yeah he was a nice guy.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 3:06 pm

Revived thread again.