Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

atari2600a
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jan 2009, 12:43 pm

I'm someone who would live off of Dr. Pepper & microwavable foods. On break with no plans, I would wake 18 hours & sleep 9-12, rotating throughout the day, taking 50-100mg of diphehydramine to get back on schedule when needed.

I've [intentionally] been without caffeine for a few days. Yesterday, because of the initial withdraw I grew tired much earlier than usual, but ddue to errands I fell asleep at 1-2AM. To my surprise I awoke at 7:30AM! No usual hating waking up or anything, I just popped open my laptop & watched Star Trek DS9 until everyone else awoke!

So will this whole 'normal sleep' thing wear off with the lack of caffeine or will it stick? Furthermore are there any benefits of staying away from caffeine I'm overlooking? (besides blood pressure, of course. It's actually one of the primary reasons I'm leaving caffeine; I have Factor-V Leiden blood & I'm at higher risk for blood clots)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 6:16 pm

atari2600a wrote:
I'm someone who would live off of Dr. Pepper & microwavable foods. On break with no plans, I would wake 18 hours & sleep 9-12, rotating throughout the day, taking 50-100mg of diphehydramine to get back on schedule when needed.

I've [intentionally] been without caffeine for a few days. Yesterday, because of the initial withdraw I grew tired much earlier than usual, but ddue to errands I fell asleep at 1-2AM. To my surprise I awoke at 7:30AM! No usual hating waking up or anything, I just popped open my laptop & watched Star Trek DS9 until everyone else awoke!

So will this whole 'normal sleep' thing wear off with the lack of caffeine or will it stick? Furthermore are there any benefits of staying away from caffeine I'm overlooking? (besides blood pressure, of course. It's actually one of the primary reasons I'm leaving caffeine; I have Factor-V Leiden blood & I'm at higher risk for blood clots)

Why kick it? Caffein has its benefits:

" Consider this: At least six studies indicate that people who drink coffee on a regular basis are up to 80% less likely to develop Parkinson's, with three showing the more they drink, the lower the risk. Other research shows that compared to not drinking coffee, at least two cups daily can translate to a 25% reduced risk of colon cancer, an 80% drop in liver cirrhosis risk, and nearly half the risk of gallstones. "

Unless there is a specific medical counterindication for using caffein, it would seem that caffein in moderate amounts and taken as coffee is good for you.

ruveyn

atari2600a
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jan 2009, 6:20 pm

Cause I'm awake for 15 hours & sleep for 10! Does that sound right to you?

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 8:54 pm

atari2600a wrote:
Cause I'm awake for 15 hours & sleep for 10! Does that sound right to you?

I did that in college and I didn't even drink much caffeine!
Although I try not to drink caffeine anymore these days. Higher (excess) blood pressure = cardiovascular wear and tear
I forget, does it act like an anti-diuretic too?

atari2600a
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jan 2009, 9:38 pm

On the contrary; It's a mild diuretic.

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 11:04 pm

Oops! My bad :oops:

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 9:50 pm

ruveyn wrote:

Why kick it? Caffein has its benefits:

" Consider this: At least six studies indicate that people who drink coffee on a regular basis are up to 80% less likely to develop Parkinson's, with three showing the more they drink, the lower the risk. Other research shows that compared to not drinking coffee, at least two cups daily can translate to a 25% reduced risk of colon cancer, an 80% drop in liver cirrhosis risk, and nearly half the risk of gallstones. "

Unless there is a specific medical counterindication for using caffein, it would seem that caffein in moderate amounts and taken as coffee is good for you.

ruveyn

But coffee is different some soda though. I dont like coffee so I drink soda all the time. I cant go more than a day without soda lately and I know it's very unhealthy for me given all the health news stuff.

I have various reasons for drinking soda all the time...one it's my ONLY caffiene source that I can drink and I eat certain foods (mostly junk) that wont taste good if I drink it with something other than soda. Plus I eat out a lot and most meals come with only soda at the fast food places.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 11:13 am

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Coffee's bad for your bones (I don't know if it's the caffeine or not), I think even in moderation. You'll probably be fine if you get an excess of calcium in one way or another, but still...

At any rate I need to scale back the coffee thing. I work graveyard shifts (only 3 more weeks, thank god!) and I'm pretty much constantly drinking coffee at all waking hours. I probably drink close to a full pot every day. I love the taste of good coffee, but even if it's the bullsh*t they have lying around at work (which is most of what I drink--it's free, why complain?) I'll peel it down black all day long.

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 12:28 pm

Quote:

Quote:
The evidence is also unclear concerning caffeine and cancer. Caffeine and some of its metabolites can cause changes in the cells of the body and in the way in which they reproduce themselves, and caffeine certainly enhances this kind of action by some known carcinogens. However, although caffeine is suspected as a cause of cancer, the evidence is contradictory and does not allow a clear conclusion. Some animal studies suggest that caffeine can have anti-cancer properties.

Caffeine is both a carcinogen and anti-carcinogen, the role it acts in is determined by what it is interacting with. It might prevent you from developing bowel cancer, but that is of no use to you when your left hemisphere stops functioning because it's being crushed against your skull :)

The human body also develops tolerance to caffeine (3 cups of coffee a day for 7 days will lead to complete tolerance), so the user has to drink more and more to get the same effects.

Quote:
Because adenosine, in part, serves to regulate blood pressure by causing vasodilation, the increased effects of adenosine due to caffeine withdrawal cause the blood vessels of the head to dilate, leading to an excess of blood in the head and causing a headache and nausea. Reduced catecholamine activity may cause feelings of fatigue and drowsiness. A reduction in serotonin levels when caffeine use is stopped can cause anxiety, irritability, inability to concentrate and diminished motivation to initiate or to complete daily tasks; in extreme cases it may cause mild depression. Together, these effects have come to be known as a "crash".

Caffeine use can also cause insomnia, stomach ulcers, irregular heartbeat and can raise cholesterol levels.