Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2022, 3:11 am

In the form of a wrist-watch that zaps the median nerve, resulting in stabilised brain oscillations (those thought to be responsible for aberrant urges to move, some of which result in tics).

Oh, the joys of science.

This should be available commercially within a few years! 8O :D

https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/04/possible-cure-tourettes-wristwatch-style-gadget-12805193/

GCat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Nov 2022, 12:03 pm

Thank you for sharing- this is actually very interesting.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2022, 12:24 pm

looking forward to it

GCat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Nov 2022, 12:31 pm

I just read that it is in trials. I hope it is approved soon.

I signed up for updates- sorry I would share the link but I am too new.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2022, 1:48 pm

The research is being carried out in the UK with UK based participants.

There is a website for the company making the wrist-watches and apparently they will be be out/released by 2025 according to their website.

Definitely a better solution than any of the meds that work well for this condition...

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2022, 1:59 pm

A link to the actual company responsible for overseeing the development of this project:

https://www.neupulse.co.uk/solutions/#section-359-178

drgafanovich
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Nov 2022, 2:44 am

Sounds like a refreshing concept.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2022, 2:54 pm

If it works, which the current trials are indicating it does; it is a game changer. Previously, there has been no specific drug to treat this condition and the only real alternative is deep brain stimulation which involves putting a machine in a persons brain. Not exactly a viable option for many people.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 10:15 pm

My tics are worst when I first get into bed and try to sleep. Sometimes it takes hours because I'm ticcing.

I'd really like to try the new treatment. Thanks for posting the links.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2022, 12:26 am

renaeden wrote:
My tics are worst when I first get into bed and try to sleep. Sometimes it takes hours because I'm ticcing.

I'd really like to try the new treatment. Thanks for posting the links.

No problem.

Ya, my tics get annoying when I first get in bed, too.

Da_Zero_A_Dieci
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 5:50 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
If it works, which the current trials are indicating it does; it is a game changer. Previously, there has been no specific drug to treat this condition and the only real alternative is deep brain stimulation which involves putting a machine in a persons brain. Not exactly a viable option for many people.

Studies on twins have shown that the syndrome certainly has a strong hereditary component, in which different genes could contribute to establish a predisposition to contract the syndrome. Although to date no clear genetic association with Tourette's syndrome has been identified, some research has shown that alterations of the SLTRK1 and SLTRK2 genes on chromosome 13 could be one of the causes of the disorder, although probably not specifically.

§

Beyond the genetic predispositions, it is known that Tourette's syndrome is caused by functional alterations of some cerebral areas, called basal ganglia, and their connections with the frontal portion of the cerebral cortex. The alterations of this complex circuit, in particular, seem to be connected to anomalies of the dopamine system, a neurotransmitter which mainly regulates the control of movement and pleasure. Other neurotransmitters, such as serotonin, norepinephrine and glutamate, appear to play important roles in the pathogenesis of Tourette's syndrome and associated pathologies, such as obsessive-compulsive disorder.
§
For several years I suffered from OCD on a major level.

I managed to deconstruct it in me.

But I was young, maybe in me I could and others can't, I employed a multiplicative strategy that I applied consecutively whenever it presented itself,

I was wasting several hours a day for this ailment.

§

Gilles De La Tourette syndrome I remember in my studies of several years ago, it is scientifically proven to have a hereditary basis, therefore it does not depend only on the method, which cannot be only one, but different and together, and not even only on the absolute will to free oneself from this problem which I know is devastating on several levels, social, psychological, work, in any field.

Personally I would rely on Human Genetics Studies because I trust a lot in research on Mesenchymal Stem Cells, and I hope for the full understanding of what has been discovered on the BDNF Factor, which led to a Nobel Prize in 1986 which is important for the world, in various sectors.

§
OCD is not proven to be genetic, but having experienced and contrasted it I understand how heavy and disabling Tourette Syndrome can be

Brains are interconnected multisystem associations of enormous complexity, and very different from each other.
§
Interesting I read the link posted here.

*Sometimes the least complicated solutions do something extraordinary.

Thank you because it's been a long time since I've done published research.

Before, as an enthusiast, I read every abstract