Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 1:25 am

bleh12345 wrote:
I hope she didn't diagnose you as borderline without you even meeting at least 5 out of the 9 criteria. Just because you had substance abuse and strong reactions to abandonment does NOT automatically mean borderline! That's like diagnosing someone who appears to have a lack of empathy at first as a sociopath, even though they have it AND remorse. (Note: I'm do not mean borderlines are like sociopaths, guys. I just wanted to add this just in case someone thought I was relating the two.)

I totally agree, because that's was basically happened to me. I was dx a few years ago with "suspicion of BPD traits" (yes it was seriously both, a suspicion AND traits). It was even a big mental health hospital who did that. The reason was that I told them that I had "gender issues". The truth was that I'm Transgender and now I've my name change and my surgery since a year and take hormones since several years. I also that a trauma back than and depression, but even with all that together I didn't make it to 5 BPD criteria. After my legal name change and my surgery and after it was clear that I'm Transgender I asked the Psychiatrist (who even was a professor!) why he had dx me in such a strange way!? His response was simple: "well I had to dx something" and "I never had a transsexual patient before". 8O

I know that there a ppl with BPD out there, but since this time I found out meeting other ppl with similar problems that BPD is exactly that how you describe it, in many cases a dx for patients who a difficult, don't get better and also where you have to dx something... :roll:
But I think this doesn't help anyone. Not the ppl who get miss-dx and also not the ppl who have really BPD, because what's happening that less and less ppl take this dx lable serious.

rurufu
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Feb 2014, 2:20 am

I was officially diagnosed with BPD years ago. I hurt myself cos I couldn't cope up with a lot of things anymore. My relationship was breaking to pieces, i was being mobbed at work, they all added to my having slight panic attacks (e.g. the train is a few minutes late or always being misunderstood cos I'm poor at explaining, trying to get along with my colleagues). Since I don't have a friend I can talk to everything turned inwards I guess. So I was admitted in a ward for depression and BPD. At that time BPD was like a trend. Everyone, mostly teens, has BPD. You just need to "scratch" yourself a bit and et voila! you have BPD right away. What I notice about other patients was that they were quite proud having it. Even with them I'd still like to be alone in my room cos I couldn't get along with their conversations and they cut themselves very deep. Some even needed to be stitched. I wasn't like that. I couldn't relate to it so I'd rather be with my books or listen to music.
I joined a therapy by Linehan but they didn't seem to apply to me except for the part where one should say one's opinion or the way one feels (I was brought up in a typical Asian way). After applying that part of the therapy I don't feel bad anymore but my problem with relationship and socializing remained. I still have my mini panic attacks.

I came across aspergers just of late and it seems to fit to my symptoms. I let my sister read about it and she said that most of the symptoms describe my "personality".

bleh12345
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 2:28 am

Oh my god Raziel! I can believe that happened to you, and that's horrible. I can believe it because I've seen that BS before.

You know what, that doctor is stupid. No, he doesn't HAVE to diagnose you with anything! WTFH. Since when do you HAVE to diagnose? Also, the correct term would be gender dysphoria! I can't believe your previous doctor was too stupid to know what that was! :evil:

You know what, I find a lot of patients who are diagnosed with ANYTHING just want to be listened to. These mental health professionals will just give you a dx and send you on your way with tons of meds, therapy dbt/cbt "skills" and therapy appointments where they give you advice. Uhm, where's the listening? No where to be found!

The most difficult patients always liked me. I've been in some places for the "worst of the worst" as a teenager. Let me tell you, they all listened to me. I was motherly to them. What did I do that was so special? I listened and empathized! I had EMOTION when they told me their suffering! And yes, I've even talked to people who had disorders where they "made up" stuff for attention. Guess what: Those people need help, too. The "difficult" patients often don't have access to a good therapist. It's horrible...

Also, people often have unrealistic expectations of recovery. Recovery isn't being "normal". It isn't getting rid of whatever is plaguing you. It's being able to cope in a more effective way and treating the symptoms. All too often, I see the goal is the difficult patient "fitting in" with the population. Well, that's not going to happen. People need to be realistic. And they also need to stop shaming. How can a person with a mental health problem accept themselves when professionals tell you you're abnormal and society tells you your issues need to be kept hush hush so you don't inconvenience others?

Also, I wanted to add that unfortunately, BPD has never been taken seriously by the majority of mental health professionals. It's only recently being thought of as treatable (finally) and thought of as REAL suffering. These patients are "known" as manipulative and dramatic, even though that's very hurtful.

I'm glad you're doing better. I, too, have gender dysphoria, although I'm not fully opposite gendered. I am both genders. If someone tried to diagnose me as borderline based off of that, I would fight it. Of course, fighting it is further confirmation to them that you are borderline. :roll: You can't win.

bleh12345
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 2:45 am

rurufu wrote:
I was officially diagnosed with BPD years ago. I hurt myself cos I couldn't cope up with a lot of things anymore. My relationship was breaking to pieces, i was being mobbed at work, they all added to my having slight panic attacks (e.g. the train is a few minutes late or always being misunderstood cos I'm poor at explaining, trying to get along with my colleagues). Since I don't have a friend I can talk to everything turned inwards I guess. So I was admitted in a ward for depression and BPD. At that time BPD was like a trend. Everyone, mostly teens, has BPD. You just need to "scratch" yourself a bit and et voila! you have BPD right away. What I notice about other patients was that they were quite proud having it. Even with them I'd still like to be alone in my room cos I couldn't get along with their conversations and they cut themselves very deep. Some even needed to be stitched. I wasn't like that. I couldn't relate to it so I'd rather be with my books or listen to music.
I joined a therapy by Linehan but they didn't seem to apply to me except for the part where one should say one's opinion or the way one feels (I was brought up in a typical Asian way). After applying that part of the therapy I don't feel bad anymore but my problem with relationship and socializing remained. I still have my mini panic attacks.

I came across aspergers just of late and it seems to fit to my symptoms. I let my sister read about it and she said that most of the symptoms describe my "personality".

I don't think BPD was trendy, but it was gaining attention finally as being a serious disorder. You're not even supposed to diagnose it until one is an adult because teenagers can display a lot of the symptoms just from the hormones. However, a lot of teenagers do need treatment because of the severity. So, the symptoms are usually treated, and the dx isn't applied until one is 18.

A lot of people with BPD won't admit to having it. It's possible that some with BPD, especially ones that have a lot of narcissism and controlling traits, would be proud of having a name for it. These people suffer so much, so when they finally have a name for what's going on, they tend to tell everyone. I can relate to that. However, someone without BPD may have a hard time understanding how someone can seem so proud to have such a grim diagnosis. It's probably better than going "crazy" silently and not being heard, though.

There are indeed inward turning BPDs. These people are the ones that mimic ASD the most. If you take an inward, mostly depressed type BPD who is very introverted, and a person with ASD who was abused, you can get two similar types of people.

The important thing is to remember BPD has different traits just like ASD. It's similar in the sense of if you met one with it, you've only met one person. The "stereotypical" BPD, of which my mother is similar to, is NOT like ASD in many ways. (Note: They still suffer, but this type can be abusive and controlling. They still have legitimate problems, though.) So, this is where people get confused about how they can be similar and misdiagnosed.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 11:53 am

I'm here on my iPhone, so my answer will be short. What's BS? I'm Not a native engish speaker. Actually i also think what the psychiatrist did wasn't correct at all back than. I even have seen hin for a few minutes at my diagnostic appointment and when i Said That i have a problem with my gender Identity je left the room. A doctor assistent talked with me. I found that this behavior was extremly arrogant. But je is right with the term "transexualism" because in my Country we use the ICD-10 and the Termins still Used there. Officially i'm dx with transsexualism. I found out later that they Tell Young Homosexual and bisexual ppl wohn they dx with BPD that they don't have homosexuality, just BPD and that their "sexual confusion" will go away with Therapie. I was shoked when i found out. Actually i didn't leave there, i was kicked out after a well known Independent therapier dx me with transsexualism. Well that's my experience. :)