Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 1:47 pm

I told someone awhile ago, who was questioning why a lot of people with Tourettes will shout obscenity's, that they do it because they do it out of frustration of their condition. I just told him that without really knowing the answer. I always figured the words they used slanted in that direction because of their weariness. Is this semi-correct?

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 4:17 pm

As someone with coprolalia, it's a tic. It's an imagined response to pain - something is going on the brain to trigger discomfort or pain to trigger the tics.

http://xelebes.wordpress.com/
My Blog

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 7:36 pm

I don't think it's a reflection of mood or a conscious choice. Last night I read something about someone's coprolalia and it included saying things like "purple n*gger," when a black person happened to be nearby. It seems more that it's about forbidden/inappropriate words and a "twinge"/uncontrollable-urge to say them.

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 10:01 pm

I wonder if there if this was prevalent before ticks like that were shown in the media, or it caught on when the oddity of tics like shouting obscenities was shown on TV.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 10:43 pm

I'm sure there are prevalence studies over time, though I don't know what they say.

Personally, I'd be very hesitant to judge anybody with it to be faking, though. The price of guessing wrong when someone does have it seems a lot worse than guessing wrong when they don't.

I remember a story where a father happened to notice his son ticcing and such alone in his room. The father felt incredibly guilty as he'd been punishing his son for it (the son was eventually diagnosed with TS).

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
The first presentation of Tourette syndrome is thought to be in a 1489 book, Malleus maleficarum ("Witch's hammer") by Jakob Sprenger and Heinrich Kraemer, describing a priest whose tics were "believed to be related to possession by the devil".[78] A French doctor, Jean Marc Gaspard Itard, reported the first case of Tourette syndrome in 1825,[79] describing Marquise de Dampierre, an important woman of nobility in her time.[12] Jean-Martin Charcot, an influential French physician, assigned his resident Georges Albert Édouard Brutus Gilles de la Tourette, a French physician and neurologist, to study patients at the Salpêtrière Hospital, with the goal of defining an illness distinct from hysteria and from chorea.[25]

In 1885, Gilles de la Tourette published an account of nine patients, Study of a Nervous Affliction, concluding that a new clinical category should be defined.[80] The eponym was later bestowed by Charcot after and on behalf of Gilles de la Tourette.[25][81]

No mass media (except newpapers?) in 1885, so one could compare the prevalence back then to now.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 10:46 pm

takemitsu wrote:
I wonder if there if this was prevalent before ticks like that were shown in the media, or it caught on when the oddity of tics like shouting obscenities was shown on TV.

No, my coprolalia began before I ever saw any specials on Tourette's. I was diagnosed rather late - at age 23.

http://xelebes.wordpress.com/
My Blog

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 4:18 am

I started cussing when I was 15 and I didn't even know what Tourettes was then. The shouting of swear words is not out of frustration at all (although I have been known to mutter a few choice words when I feel REALLY bad!) it is just a massive urge. The feeling I get before any tic, including the coprolalia, is like if you try to hold your eyelids open. You can only do it for so long before your body is almost literally screaming 'SHUT THEM NOW!! ! at which point you will have to shut them. A tic is similar, except it doesn't hold any purpose.