Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

GodluckGoodspeed
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Oct 2010, 3:22 pm

Anyone else experience purely obsessional OCD in relation to religion? When I was young and was pious I was absolutely tormented by blasphemousness and immoral thoughts. Ever since I learned that a single thought could send you to hell it became my obsession. I would have to stop what I was doing and mentally recite a prayer every time I had one of these thoughts otherwise I might get hit by a car, die and go straight to hell. Sometimes I would have to start back at the beginning if the thought returned in mid-prayer. You get the picture.

So now I am 21 and on the agnostic side of atheism and have been so for several years. I pretty much had to shed my Christianity out of necessity. Although I still get pure-o obsessions they just take other forms not related to religion.

jeffbee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Oct 2010, 5:07 pm

When I was in 3rd grade, I was prescribed Ritalin. My OCD went through the roof. Not only did I "collect" facial tics, I also prayed constantly. Not any significant prayers. Just blathering or reciting written prayers I had memorized.

Maranatha
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Oct 2010, 5:14 pm

I get what you're saying about OCD-style piety, I was very heavily caught up in that at one point. The OCD rigamarole became very controlling about five years ago, which is about the same time that I gradually started to walk away from it.

Been reading the Bible for about 5 years since that time, and today am regarding my personal works as a matter of God's grace.

I went from about fifteen years of atheism, then OCD-style agnosticism, to believing upon Christ.

:D

Last edited by Maranatha on 24 Oct 2010, 7:41 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Avengilante
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Oct 2010, 5:49 pm

My obsession with religion was the opposite. Once I realized I had been lied to about Santa Claus by the very people whom I was supposed to be able to trust the most, I began to obsessively analyze the religious beliefs they had taught me and quickly realized their dogma was full of loopholes, inconsistencies and logic failures. So I spent the next twenty years of my life absorbing and dissecting every belief system and school of philosophy or mysticism that had ever existed to determine whether and where any real truth existed. I'm satisfied that I ultimately found my answers and was able to let the obsession go for the most part, though I still argue long defensive rants about it to myself on occasion for no constructive purpose.

GodluckGoodspeed wrote:
When I was young and was pious I was absolutely tormented by blasphemousness and immoral thoughts.

I did kind of do this as a small kid - I got an almost OCD/Tourettes tic about swearing to myself walking home from school in the afternoons. Its like I had to say certain words, just to feel the way they were formed in my mouth and throat, and at the time I did feel terribly guilty about it, but I couldn't seem to stop - of course I didn't do it in front of parents or teachers, so it wasn't totally uncontrollable, just obsessive. Now all that language is just part of my everyday vocabulary.

GodluckGoodspeed
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Oct 2010, 12:19 am

Avengilante wrote:
, I began to obsessively analyze the religious beliefs they had taught me and quickly realized their dogma was full of loopholes, inconsistencies and logic failures. So I spent the next twenty years of my life absorbing and dissecting every belief system and school of philosophy or mysticism that had ever existed to determine whether and where any real truth existed. I'm satisfied that I ultimately found my answers and was able to let the obsession go for the most part, though I still argue long defensive rants about it to myself on occasion for no constructive purpose.

I went through this as well.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 5:18 am

Yes, one of the main forms of my pure obsessional OCD is religious/blasphemous thoughts. With me, though, it only makes my religiosity stronger, because I've read that OCD takes the form of the things you value the most. So, even though I hate the obsessions, every time I have one shows me how much I love God.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 4:03 pm

I have the same issue. I always have this image of the devil handing my a contract to sign. I try to imagine throwing ink on it and lighting it on fire. I also have issues with saying GD in my head all the time.

GodluckGoodspeed wrote:
Anyone else experience purely obsessional OCD in relation to religion? When I was young and was pious I was absolutely tormented by blasphemousness and immoral thoughts. Ever since I learned that a single thought could send you to hell it became my obsession. I would have to stop what I was doing and mentally recite a prayer every time I had one of these thoughts otherwise I might get hit by a car, die and go straight to hell. Sometimes I would have to start back at the beginning if the thought returned in mid-prayer. You get the picture.

So now I am 21 and on the agnostic side of atheism and have been so for several years. I pretty much had to shed my Christianity out of necessity. Although I still get pure-o obsessions they just take other forms not related to religion.

binaryodes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 7:19 am

Aplogies for reviving this thread but I didnt want to start another one since it would just duplicate this. I was a devout christian from about 16-18 or so, but my OCD became so focused and intense that I had to give it all up. I would feel an irresistible compulsion to preach to people in the streets, I would be tormented by thoughts that if I didnt said person would die and go to hell or I would suffer terrible punishments.
There were times where I even unsuccessfully wrestled with the urge to actually knock on peoples' doors (im a young man and these were sometimes women) and evangelise. Add to that a collection of other religion related oobsessions with accompanying compulsions made compelling by "threats" of damnation and punishment and I was essentially tormented into agnosticism. I have returned to the fold somewhat but my faith is unfortunately predicated on these fears and compulsions so I can never pursue my spiritualitty in that naive open honest way which is totally essential

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 1:16 pm

Seems to be some examples here of the damage Religions have done to Christians relationship to God, made by religions to feel that God is itching to find some excuse to throw you in the lake of fire, this really isnt the case, God paid a very high price for your salvation, just as you wouldn't destroy a new car you bought cause it had a flat battery or something, God isnt going to destroy you just because the Human mechanism is showing signs of failing as devolution due to sin takes its toll.

God is bigger than all this, and knows your hearts, that you feel bad that you cannot control what goes through your minds.

I get this blasphemous Tourettes, for ages when ever I have a piss Iam thinking, "Drink this God", Ive managed to sway my mind away from this particular blasphemy by saying in my mind, "Drink this Tony Blair", instead.

I read that quite a few of the Saints suffered from this, Martin Luther as well I believe, they didnt let it stop them, by having such an affliction and not letting it turn you away from God, you prove yourself more righteous than the man for him Spirituality is an easy walk in the park.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 6:38 pm

When I was younger I had this. I used to recite prayers whilst sitting on the toilet, which is funny, but the constant fear of sin was debilitating. I think it stemmed from the fact that I had serious doubts and felt guilty about them.

I'm now an agnostic (close to atheist) but I'm not especially obsessive about there not being a God as I was about there being one.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 8:21 pm

What a shame that so many get religion all wrong, and then they get confused so they give it up.

God just wants to love us; and he wants us to let him love us. That's the basis of religion. No OCD. The Holy Spirit does the work to free us from obsessions and the things that bind us.

Can anyone relate to this or am I just preaching in the dark?

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 9:35 pm

JSBACHlover wrote:
What a shame that so many get religion all wrong, and then they get confused so they give it up.

This tends not to be true. For the first half of my life, I was an atheist. I tended not to want anything to do with God. But then, I found Lewis' books, and I started reading them and I was soon immersed in Christian theology and I saw why anyone could believe it.

Religion is misunderstood, but not everyone is willing to admit they need help or expend time for it.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 7:08 pm

BeggingTurtle wrote:
JSBACHlover wrote:

Religion is misunderstood, but not everyone is willing to admit they need help or expend time for it.

I definitely agree with you there. Ultimately each one of us has a responsibility to search for the truth. You were fortunate to encounter great Christian thinkers the likes of C.S. Lewis or G.K. Chesterton. I wonder how many on WP would be willing to read "Mere Christianity" or "The Everlasting Man"?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 3:11 am

I was obsessively devout when I was a child. I prayed over every last bit of food that I ate, whether a full meal or a single cookie. I would even pray over individual types of food (for example, if I ate a cookie and then went and got a bag of chips, I would pray over the chips in addition to the cookie). This got to the point when even my Christian Mom told me I didn't have to pray over every single last thing I ate.

I also had an incredibly intense fear of saying the Lord's name in vain, so I never spoke any words that could be construed as religious. For example, I refused to say the Pledge of Allegiance because of the phrase "under God", and I also refused to sing part of "Jingle Bells" because of "making spirits bright" (I took the phrase literally and construed it as evoking the name of The Holy Spirit).

And once when a magician came to the school, I thought he was practicing witchcraft and had a meltdown, crying inconsolably until the school called my mom to come pick me up.

Even as an adult who no longer practices Christianity and whose faith dangles by a thread, deep in the back of my mind I am still extremely terrified of going to Hell. My brother, who became an atheist, is puzzled as to why it's taking me so long to shed my faith. He says he lost his faith within the first 100 pages of Dawkins' "The God Delusion". I tried the same book but it gave me such horrid anxiety that I couldn't get past 50 pages.