Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 2:36 pm

I've had severe depression for most of my life. Not just adult life but childhood, too.

People have been asking me if I want to try and beat if for good. I don't know if I can but I'll try. Can someone who has fully recovered from depression tell me what it's like? I want to read something positive. I think I've gone into remission before but I can't remember what it's like now.

What do you think: http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles ... sion-cured

Baris10
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Oct 2011, 3:12 pm

I feel pretty similar, I've not really been happy since I was 9 (the occasional month or two, but other than that I've just felt empty and depressed). If you don't mind me asking, what brought you out of it last time? And what made you remiss?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 3:25 pm

Baris10 wrote:
I feel pretty similar, I've not really been happy since I was 9 (the occasional month or two, but other than that I've just felt empty and depressed). If you don't mind me asking, what brought you out of it last time? And what made you remiss?

I finished University and started teacher training. Other than that, I don't remember.

Baris10
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Oct 2011, 4:07 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
Baris10 wrote:

I finished University and started teacher training. Other than that, I don't remember.

That's what made you happy? Or remiss?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 4:10 pm

Baris10 wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
Baris10 wrote:

That's what happened as I remissed. I don't know the cause.

Baris10
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Oct 2011, 4:13 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
Baris10 wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
Baris10 wrote:

That's what happened as I remissed. I don't know the cause.

Do you have any friends? Hobbies? How do you spend your time?

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 4:42 pm

I have a chronic illness so I'll never be cured but I do get remissions here and there. I had one major remission that has made my depression far more manageable ever since. I suppose my remission is not feeling suicidal everyday but at least a few times a month. I don't mean to sound depressing I am fairly happy with the remission I have experienced. I've had childhood depression and I've been a depressed child since the age of 4. My aunt died when I was 4 ironically from what I now have to live with (T_T). She was like a second mom to me. I was bullied verbally by teachers and physically by students. I suffered a lot because of my ASD and I didn't get a DX until I turned 20. After my DX I started to feel like I understood myself more I was able to figure out what I want from life, and how to cope with the disabilities I was born with. Just educating yourself about what makes you depressed and standing up for yourself when other people make you uncomfortable that's what I found helps keep me in a remission of sorts.

LittleBlackCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2011, 5:06 pm

To be honest, that link you posted read a bit like an advertisement for the drugs companies. I would be quite surprised if anyone ever had a period of any significant length of time where they had no friction in any of their relationships, were productive and satisfied with their work, had no physical health issues etc. We all have some issues going on in our lives most of the time. It really is largely a value judgement - in the absence of very severe depression (e.g. you are suicidal and totally incapacitated), only you can answer that question in a truly meaningful way.

Baris10
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Oct 2011, 5:09 pm

Angel_ryan wrote:
I have a chronic illness so I'll never be cured but I do get remissions here and there. I had one major remission that has made my depression far more manageable ever since. I suppose my remission is not feeling suicidal everyday but at least a few times a month. I don't mean to sound depressing I am fairly happy with the remission I have experienced. I've had childhood depression and I've been a depressed child since the age of 4. My aunt died when I was 4 ironically from what I now have to live with (T_T). She was like a second mom to me. I was bullied verbally by teachers and physically by students. I suffered a lot because of my ASD and I didn't get a DX until I turned 20. After my DX I started to feel like I understood myself more I was able to figure out what I want from life, and how to cope with the disabilities I was born with. Just educating yourself about what makes you depressed and standing up for yourself when other people make you uncomfortable that's what I found helps keep me in a remission of sorts.

Have you not been prescribed any anti-depressants? Does NOTHING make you even the slightest bit happy?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 5:10 pm

LittleBlackCat wrote:
To be honest, that link you posted read a bit like an advertisement for the drugs companies. I would be quite surprised if anyone ever had a period of any significant length of time where they had no friction in any of their relationships, were productive and satisfied with their work, had no physical health issues etc. We all have some issues going on in our lives most of the time. It really is largely a value judgement - in the absence of very severe depression (e.g. you are suicidal and totally incapacitated), only you can answer that question in a truly meaningful way.

I see what you mean.

I guess I'm not looking for a perfect life, just a clearing of the cloud.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 5:12 pm

Baris10 wrote:

I have friends. I don't relate to people well, though, so those are few in numbers and somewhat distant.

I spend my time working, cooking, reading, playing games, eating, drinking, talking, going to the toilet, sleeping... :P

Baris10
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Oct 2011, 5:17 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
Baris10 wrote:

I have friends. I don't relate to people well, though, so those are few in numbers and somewhat distant.

I spend my time working, cooking, reading, playing games, eating, drinking, talking, going to the toilet, sleeping... :P

Going to the toilet sounds like loads of fun, don't know how you can be depressed!

What do you work as? And as you read, have you ever tried writing?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 5:20 pm

Baris10 wrote:

Going to the toilet sounds like loads of fun, don't know how you can be depressed!

I'm a qualified teacher, but I currently work for an organisation that has turned into a diploma mill/certificate factory and I want to quit because it doesn't agree with my ethics. It used to be an okay place to work, but times have changed.

I have tried writing. I've never tried it for money and I don't think I could.

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 5:36 pm

Baris10 wrote:
Angel_ryan wrote:

Have you not been prescribed any anti-depressants? Does NOTHING make you even the slightest bit happy?

LOL I do feel happiness and I do take an anti-depressant it's a mild dose though, because I become manic on a high one and I wanted to avoid taking anti-psychotics because the side effects are awful. I'm kinda schizo affective so when I'm feeling suicidal it's more less something random that popped into my head when I'm feeling down. I usually feel suicidally depressed because of the negative symptoms of it. Just because I have the suicidal thoughts doesn't mean I act on them or want to. I always fight them. Part of the reason is that I find it too difficult to live with Autism and mental illness, so I when I'm feeling suicidal it usually comes down to why am I still doing this. It's a struggle but I have done incredibly well recently and I do have people supporting me that I can go to. They'll be nice enough to lock me up if they think I'm a problem but the on the brightly incredibly awesome side that hasn't had to happen yet.

Baris10
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Oct 2011, 6:17 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
Baris10 wrote:

I'm a qualified teacher, but I currently work for an organisation that has turned into a diploma mill/certificate factory and I want to quit because it doesn't agree with my ethics. It used to be an okay place to work, but times have changed.

I have tried writing. I've never tried it for money and I don't think I could.

I have to go to bed now, but if it's not too rude, would you be willing to send me some of the things you've written?
And why don't you work as a chef if you like cooking?

Baris10
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Oct 2011, 6:19 pm

Angel_ryan wrote:
Baris10 wrote:
Angel_ryan wrote:

LOL I do feel happiness and I do take an anti-depressant it's a mild dose though, because I become manic on a high one and I wanted to avoid taking anti-psychotics because the side effects are awful. I'm kinda schizo affective so when I'm feeling suicidal it's more less something random that popped into my head when I'm feeling down. I usually feel suicidally depressed because of the negative symptoms of it. Just because I have the suicidal thoughts doesn't mean I act on them or want to. I always fight them. Part of the reason is that I find it too difficult to live with Autism and mental illness, so I when I'm feeling suicidal it usually comes down to why am I still doing this. It's a struggle but I have done incredibly well recently and I do have people supporting me that I can go to. They'll be nice enough to lock me up if they think I'm a problem but the on the brightly incredibly awesome side that hasn't had to happen yet.

If you don't intend to act on them, are they really classified as suicidal thoughts? I probably spend most of my time thinking about killing myself, but with no real intention to ever do it (I have a major fear of death).