Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 7:03 pm

(If this isn't the right spot, feel free to move)
OCPD

I was very sure that I had AS: I fit a lot of the symptoms, and people would point things out about me that fit the symptoms (without pointing to Aspergers specifically, most of my friends don't know what it is). My psychologist (whom I was seeing for anxiety) said I had aspie 'traits', but probably didn't fit the diagnosis. I saw a neuropsychologist and he diagnosed me as AS, but said I displayed more mild symptoms. After being away at college for a while (and having a roommate who is most definitely an aspie), I'm starting to doubt that I'm AS.

The reason I'm fishing around for a "label" is that I do have troubles from all my anxiety. When assignments pile up at school, I get physical symptoms such as headaches. I wouldn't call it an executive function problem, but it's like I don't know where to start with my work. I get so focused on the details and thinking into the future and how it might make me feel bad instead of being able to just work a small bit at a time.

I have other OCPD like traits, but the one that bothers me is my perfectionism related to my school. If anyone has any advice to offer or if anyone who's OCPD can tell me anything about it, lemme know.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2010, 2:53 am

I know I have tendancies toward OCPD as I read in a book that nearly all perfectionsists have OCPD by default and I suffer strongly with perfectionism. However I read several self help books on perfectionsim and have much improved so I think it is more variable/changeable than AS. My AS has not changed.

I had wondered if I had a combo of anxiety, social phobia and OCPD, and thought I may have been wrongly diagnosed aspergers. I made a thread about it but decided in the end that the aspergers did explain my symptoms better.

here are the books on perfectionism I found helpful
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Overcoming-Perf ... 897&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Present-Perfect ... 897&sr=8-4

also check out the psych forums for ocpd as its helpful to see if you relate to peoples posts or not.
http://www.psychforums.com/obsessive-co ... rsonality/
http://ocpd.freeforums.org/

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 1:12 am

I think people with OCPD are not only perfectionists (in theory or practice), but try to integrate others into that. For example, Hyacinth on "Keeping Up Appearances".

In other words, perfectionists who are also control freaks and try to micromanage everything in their lives and their family as well.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2010, 6:58 am

That helps a bit. I'm officially diagnosed with AS and generalized anxiety disorder, if that helps. I didn't used think of myself as as perfectionist, but I'm becoming a little more self aware and I suppose I am. I definitely think way too hard and way too into things and I end up with major muscle spasms and headaches from concentrating so hard and not being able to relax about. (A doctor gave me a shot in the back the other day and I didn't bleed cause my muscles were too tight. She said my blood vessels couldn't move around from the tigheness.)

I don't know if I'm a control freak or not. I get very concerned when I think my friends are making mistakes, and I tell them what they should do and I'm very upset when they don't take my advice. But over the years I've tried to train myself to not worry about it. Some people take this as me being pessimistic instead, though.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2010, 8:09 am

I don't know how accurate this information is as I was told it a LONG time ago, but I was told that a person with OCPD would be unaware that their behaviour was odd or damaging to their lives. A person with AS can have OCD as well and this can be devastating. I was agoraphobic for three years because of it.

Don't feel too bad because your a girl and your AS might not be as obvious as with guys. Also, remember that just because you are not like another person (who may or may not have AS) doesn't mean you don't have it because we all differ so much.

:)

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 3:54 pm

Please do tell me really how similar is OCPD to AS? I am not a perfectionist all the time. Apart from being annoyed that I could not lay out reports in the same way throughout because it would take too long for school annoying the hell out of me and making me not do it as a result, I don't see that my diagnosis really addresses many of my problems that I explained to the professionals.

Questions or info welcome :) Thanks

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2011, 2:02 am

rmgh wrote:
Please do tell me really how similar is OCPD to AS? I am not a perfectionist all the time. Apart from being annoyed that I could not lay out reports in the same way throughout because it would take too long for school annoying the hell out of me and making me not do it as a result, I don't see that my diagnosis really addresses many of my problems that I explained to the professionals.

I don't actually know how similar they are, but AS is mentioned in the wikipedia article for OCPD. I've just been called OCD so many times and OCPD is related, so I looked at it.

I fit the symptoms of OCPD when they're written out on paper, but looking at forums about the actual behavior of OCPD individuals I don't know that I'm like them. Similar to AS...I match some of the written symptoms, but seeing it in people I feel like I'm so much milder than them.

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2011, 2:06 am

Many sufferers of AS are obsessive and compulsive. However, majority of those suffering from OCPD are somewhat sociable, and this is the key factor in deciding whether one is a sufferer of AS or OCPD I expect.

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2011, 6:08 am

There's many many people diagnosed with AS that are more sociable than me.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 8:06 am

astaut wrote:
(If this isn't the right spot, feel free to move)
OCPD

I was very sure that I had AS: I fit a lot of the symptoms, and people would point things out about me that fit the symptoms (without pointing to Aspergers specifically, most of my friends don't know what it is). My psychologist (whom I was seeing for anxiety) said I had aspie 'traits', but probably didn't fit the diagnosis. I saw a neuropsychologist and he diagnosed me as AS, but said I displayed more mild symptoms. After being away at college for a while (and having a roommate who is most definitely an aspie), I'm starting to doubt that I'm AS.

I wouldn't go by one example or even a few examples. Have you seen the mild aspies on YouTube?

So are traits, a seperate self- a personality style that is disconnected from the hard wiring of the brain? I've always said that there isn't a separate personality, "the you," aside from the underlying neurology. The neurolgy is the "you." At best there could be parallel as you're thinking, but a neuropsychologist gave a aye, and psychologist gave a somewhat aye here........Walks like a duck. talks like a duck....................... >

Quote:
The reason I'm fishing around for a "label" is that I do have troubles from all my anxiety. When assignments pile up at school, I get physical symptoms such as headaches. I wouldn't call it an executive function problem, but it's like I don't know where to start with my work. I get so focused on the details and thinking into the future and how it might make me feel bad instead of being able to just work a small bit at a time.
I wonder if it is E.D. though?

Quote:
I have other OCPD like traits, but the one that bothers me is my perfectionism related to my school. If anyone has any advice to offer or if anyone who's OCPD can tell me anything about it, lemme know.
Comorbid?

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 8:02 pm

astaut wrote:
rmgh wrote:

I don't actually know how similar they are, but AS is mentioned in the wikipedia article for OCPD. I've just been called OCD so many times and OCPD is related, so I looked at it.

I fit the symptoms of OCPD when they're written out on paper, but looking at forums about the actual behavior of OCPD individuals I don't know that I'm like them. Similar to AS...I match some of the written symptoms, but seeing it in people I feel like I'm so much milder than them.

I don't fit the symptoms of OCPD when they're written out on paper, yet I am diagnosed with it. So that makes things a whole lot more simple! *sarcasm*

ozmom
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Feb 2011, 9:58 pm

Hi! I am a parent of an adult ASD son but he also has OCD, OCPD, and depression and anxiety.... Anyway, I have done a lot of research on it since I end up having to give him a lot of therapy myself with the help of a weekly psych visit. I noticed the apparent similarities of aspergers to OCPD pretty quickly. There are some good articles by Dr Phillips (Phillipson?) on OCPD on the web.

My son has the strong beliefs and the desire to control everyone and everything, and he also cannot forgive people and their mistakes. His perfectionism shows up in that he wants a perfect life and a perfect world... He was definitely autie from birth and he also definitely has full blown OCD. I really feel they are all related - either because they affect the same brain chemicals or regions or because of his extreme anxiety causing even more problems. I am sure you can have just one problem, too or any form of overlap.