Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 6:25 pm

I have some self-injury scars on my arm that I desperately want to get rid of or at least minimize.

I'm about ready to rejoin the workforce and I'm sure there will be someplace where wearing a hoodie won't be kosher.

thanks.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

Taniablak
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Apr 2011, 7:08 pm

Hi
Vitamin e cream might help

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 7:23 pm

I have heard positive things about bio-oil

http://www.bio-oil.com/en/stretch_marks/index.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_4793413_use-biooil-scars.html

http://www.reviewstream.com/reviews/?p=25072

If they are badly raised on the skin you may need to use some sort of dermal abrasion or laser treatment. If they are on your arm you could get away with it saying you got drunk and wanted to prove to your friends you could do it. I have seen guys with burn marks on their arms from playing chicken with a cigarette. Two guys hold their arms together with a cigarette stuck between them until it burns down to the skin first one to release is chicken.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 7:30 pm

Heres somemore treatents

http://scar-treatments-center.org/scar- ... 2039763901

Sinestro
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Apr 2011, 8:18 pm

I've heard coco butter and vitamin E oil works for stretch marks, so it might work for self-injury scars too.

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 8:39 pm

Skin Medica Dermal Repair cream. I'm using it for minor reconstructive surgery on my face. So far it's working. I was expensive ($120), but it lasts the whole year.

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 6:33 am

rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
Skin Medica Dermal Repair cream. I'm using it for minor reconstructive surgery on my face. So far it's working. I was expensive ($120), but it lasts the whole year.

Cool. I'll look into that.

Thanks everyone!

Hey, I wonder...maybe laser treatments could be provided through my insurance if they see it's about me getting back to work.

Some are kind of sunken and some are raised. Maybe if I had one or two, I could explain them away as an animal attack or accident but 6? No, that was no accident.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

05 Apr 2011, 8:55 pm

I have the same thing, OP. I always feel self-conscious about them.

Didn't wanna make a similar thread, so I'll ask here:
what about stuff for stretch marks?

:D

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 12:47 am

MasterJedi wrote:
Some are kind of sunken and some are raised. Maybe if I had one or two, I could explain them away as an animal attack or accident but 6? No, that was no accident.

If someone asks you, you could tell them at least you were tougher than the other guy he only did five cuts I did six so I won the bet. Then tell them that is the reason you do not drink anymore. :wink:

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 6:12 am

Todesking wrote:
MasterJedi wrote:

If someone asks you, you could tell them at least you were tougher than the other guy he only did five cuts I did six so I won the bet. Then tell them that is the reason you do not drink anymore. :wink:

Hmmm. I like that!

Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Apr 2011, 5:19 am

My mum has several scars on her arm from slipping and falling through a glass door, she put her hand out to stop herself and went right through it

So you could always use that excuse.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2011, 6:49 am

Jacs wrote:
My mum has several scars on her arm from slipping and falling through a glass door, she put her hand out to stop herself and went right through it

Ouch!

Mar1976
Raven
Raven

09 Apr 2011, 8:15 am

As someone else mentioned 'Bio-oil' is really good, add some massage to the area when you apply it; a friend of mine has experimented with different things, but used Bio-Oil daily for a number of years for a scar on their face and it has definitely improved; it's less raised, 'bumpy' (for want of a better description) and looks to be getting smaller.....

I've heard Rose (and/or Rose Hip) oil is also meant to be good.

You can also get 'silicone gel sheets' specifically for scar treatment, not sure what the method is, possibly put them on overnight.....?

There's also the heavtily priced Creme de la mer products (I've heard they're good for scars, but don't quote me on that), but there are websites out there where you can buy the 'ingredients', (if I remember correctly one of them is sea kelp) and you can mix the products to make your own 'budget' creme de la mer.

Mar1976
Raven
Raven

09 Apr 2011, 8:22 am

Bethie wrote:
I have the same thing, OP. I always feel self-conscious about them.

Didn't wanna make a similar thread, so I'll ask here:
what about stuff for stretch marks?

:D

I don't work for Bio-oil, honest!
But, apparently some women swear by it for stretch marks (especially post natal ones).
The box comes with a paper 'guide' of massage techniques to use with it, plus it's a LOT less expensive than many of the beauty products out there!

Peeled_Lemon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Apr 2011, 9:34 am

I'm wearing silicone sheets as I type. The problem with scar treatments is that nothing is spontaneous, it takes at least a week to see a difference and, of course, several months for the skin to become 'normal'. The silicone sheets I'm wearing right now are designed to be worn as the wearer pleases. Twelve hours a day is recommended, I wear them all the time though, and they can be taken off for you to clean your body. My ones can also be washed but not with soap. Washing them affects their adhesiveness but not the silicone itself. You can also get silicone cream. It needs to be rubbed in four or five times a day.

Massage is also important. You want to be able to break up the tissue under the skin, that tissue is what causes all the bumps and things on a scar. You need to be rough when you massage.

If you're not comfortable with the scars, perhaps you could buy some make-up to rub into them while you work and wait for other treatments to take effect. Also, as someone else suggested, lie about how you came by them. It's not your employer's business anyway. Good luck.

Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Apr 2011, 10:05 am

MasterJedi wrote:
I have some self-injury scars on my arm that I desperately want to get rid of or at least minimize.

I'm about ready to rejoin the workforce and I'm sure there will be someplace where wearing a hoodie won't be kosher.

thanks.

Oh yeah and congraulations on being ready to rejoin the workforce :)