Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Wyldfaery
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 May 2011, 7:14 am

I'm just wondering if anyone else here who has depression has found a way to cope and remain productive without medication.

I've had very severe Major Depressive Disorder for as long as I can remember; it was often so severe that I would partially dissociate (tunnel vision, numbness, feeling of being outside of my body), go mute, and take walks to nowhere in particular during a depressive episode (all of that accompanied by a crushing depression that felt as though my heart had been ripped out of my chest, metaphorically speaking).

I tried many different medications with varying levels of success until finally arriving at the cocktail I was taking up until about two years ago: low dose Abilify and high dose Provigil.

The aforementioned medications helped tremendously so I don't really know why this happened but one day, about two years ago, something kind of just "went click" in my mind and I stopped taking my meds. Ever since then I have felt as though I am much better at noticing my depression coming on earlier and, as a result, better at coping with the episodes.

I still get very depressed but it seems so much less significant now than it used to be and I haven't had a severe episode (like the one I described above) in all the time since "it clicked".

Anyway, thoughts?

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 1:10 pm

I just started a new cycle trying to help with tiredness, depression, and add.

Only day three but so far working pretting good.

Ultra Omega 3 by Now (More effective sleep and evener energy/mood during day)
Rhodiola by Now (MAOI type antidepressant in a plant)
ACTIVITE by MHP (Multivitamin that gives you more endurance and energy during the day, i don't know why it works but it does)
Vitamin D3.....taking this on a whim....i live in washington and dont get much sun so i figure it cant hurt to get my D level up.
ZMA-5 (improved serotonin and testosterone levels)

Daryl_Blonder
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 May 2011, 11:48 pm

Some advice: TAKE VITAMINS!! ! Whether you're on meds or not your body needs vitamins in order to function properly. The Western diet just doesn't have everything you need.

Your psychological issues may or may not improve, but you need those vitamins!

To answer your question I have spent long periods both with and without meds. My doc and I are still trying to figure out what works best, if anything. My psychological issues are easier to deal with when things in my life are going smoothly, not because of what meds I am on.

*********************************************************************************************

Check out my IMDB page!

Wyldfaery
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 May 2011, 12:36 am

Daryl_Blonder wrote:
Some advice: TAKE VITAMINS!! ! Whether you're on meds or not your body needs vitamins in order to function properly. The Western diet just doesn't have everything you need.

...and how is this relevant? I never said anything about my diet and I already take vitamins :?

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 1:08 am

sorry forgot to mention i have been off and on meds for 2-3 years but off for a over a year.

though productivity i feel like is the biggest thing i think i am still lacking.

i'm definately not as depressed as I used to be though I am very depressed at times.

the lack of productivity is holding me back a lot, though this could also have to do with ADD.

Lerena
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 May 2011, 7:33 am

Sadly, no. I got off Zoloft, and now I'm on Lexapro. Lexapro is a horrible medication. I feel way too numb and it's not helping with my depression much. I mean, feeling nothing isn't much better.