Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

DIProgan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Sep 2012, 1:30 am

I'm having a discussion about tourettes and obsessive behaviour. According to the criterias for tourettes there's no obsessive behaviour (only comorbidity) but still some people with tourettes say the impulses and obsessivness is the most energydemanding aspect of it and that doing things like typing hurtfull stuff in a chat and then reporting the replies you get as being a part of tourettes.

So I'd like to hear your thoughts on wether you can blame tourettes for what you type or if that is an added diagnosis. To me it sounds like at least ADHD which wouldn't be much of a surprise as 50-70% with Tourettes also have ADHD. Maybe there's another diagnosis? One where you get impulses and can't resist following up on them... over and over...?

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 3:06 am

I have Tourettes and I don't have OCD or ADHD. But I have other comorbities though.

I read in a book about Tourettess (it was in German), that some scientist once thought about a diagnosis "complex Tourettes" because a lot of people with Tourettes also have OCD and impulsiveness, hyperactivity and so on. Sometimes having all those comorbities is also called "fullblown Tourettes", but everyone with comorbidities is thought to have "fullblown Tourettes". But in my case I don't see it that way. I see it more like "fullblown autism" if you will, because I see my tics more as part of autism, because it was there first. But this is different in every person I guess.

Out of my point of view it doesn't make a lot of scence blaiming your Tourettes, eventhough there is a connection. I would try to work on it with behavioural therapy and/or medication maybe. I my case magnesium helps a lot against tics.
This is you in some sort of way. You can't differentiate yourself from your brain, even if you want to. Also people with Tourettes can react very fast in situations, are more creative, are fast thinkers and so on. This is also part of Tourettes! :D

DIProgan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Sep 2012, 4:05 am

Thanks for the interesting reply. I guess this is why the Internet is so great, we can choose where to habitat and wether it is allowed to curse there and so on (yeah I know that isn't tourettes). There's no transportation between places where you need to submit to common rules.

madjoe
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Sep 2012, 11:31 am

i blame AS (i'm a sociopath)
what ever works

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 12:10 pm

DIProgan wrote:
I'm having a discussion about tourettes and obsessive behaviour. According to the criterias for tourettes there's no obsessive behaviour (only comorbidity) but still some people with tourettes say the impulses and obsessivness is the most energydemanding aspect of it and that doing things like typing hurtfull stuff in a chat and then reporting the replies you get as being a part of tourettes.

So I'd like to hear your thoughts on wether you can blame tourettes for what you type or if that is an added diagnosis. To me it sounds like at least ADHD which wouldn't be much of a surprise as 50-70% with Tourettes also have ADHD. Maybe there's another diagnosis? One where you get impulses and can't resist following up on them... over and over...?

I think its more likely tourettes would get in the way of someone typing rather than dictating what they type. From my understand Tourettes Syndrome symptoms tend to involve basically involuntary noises and movements. Sometimes these movements/noises can be changed to something less disruptive but even so its not as though someone with the disorder can just not have the symptoms.

I could see blaming tourettes for dropping something or breaking something since uncontrollable body movements can cause that. But I don't think one could blame their tourettes if they post some terribly offensive insult towards someone on a keyboard for instance since tourettes as far as I know does not influence how one treats other people.

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Sep 2012, 5:52 pm

I have Tourette's, and while excessive tic-ing is exhausting, the tics have nothing to do with bad decisions...I think that the person is confusing a comorbid condition with the Tourette's, as someone else suggested.