Page 3 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

12 Nov 2011, 3:40 am

It seems pretty hard to get to sleep. I've been feeling tension/anxiety trying to go to sleep and my thoughts seem to obsessing over schizophrenia and I keep thinking of that one schizophrenic on the bus who was obviously quite tense since it appeared that she thought there were bugs on her skin. And then, sort of into hypnogogia (Actually, I'm not even sure if I was even close to hypogogia.), I heard a loud bark that I knew didn't exist.

I then thought, huh, I wonder if this why schizophrenics stay up at night? Because they're too tense to go to sleep.

I thought about an image, too; I was at a gate and behind that gate was a long, winding road that represented a long, steady decline into schizophrenia.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

12 Nov 2011, 4:22 am

I tried getting back to sleep but couldn't. I thought, "Why not get up and fool around on the computer? It's not like I'm trying to prove I'm schizophrenic by staying up all through the night, right? I just can't get to sleep. lol.".

Lizerina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2011, 12:51 pm

Okay. I don't mean to sound line a b*tch here, but you are obsessing about this way too much. You need to go talk to a professional.

archraphael
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Nov 2011, 10:54 am

Thanks for the information swlbluto. This might also interest you: A cause of autism, fragile X syndrome, can also be linked to schizophrenia.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2687075/

Quote:
The 15q13.3 deletion is also significantly associated with schizophrenia and related psychoses in the combined samples (Table 2). A total of 7 of 4,213 cases (0.17%)
carry the deletion and 8 of 39,800 controls (0.02%). One of several affected genes (Fig. 1c and Supplementary Fig. 4), the α7 nicotinic receptor gene (CHRNA7), is
targeted to axons by neuregulin 120 and has been implicated in schizophrenia21 and also in mental retardation22.

Mother believes my autism symptoms are caused by fragile x...

I also have a very noticable tremor problem which seems absent in other autistic people..

Don't lose sleep over it.. Unless your symptoms are really interfering.. It's hard not to get anxious about your symptoms though with all this internet info though.

The only thing I would be concerned of as negative symptoms go is cognitive decline. Memory and attention are things that REALLY concern me lately.
It often goes like 'forget spanish homework i can't pay attention to *s**t*'
'im driving but where the f**k am i going im so hazed'

One thing I noticed. If you are fearing psychosis. or have any mental illness.... be around people you trust... get closer to people... be around animals or pets.... somehow those things really help my cognitive function and calm me down as well...

opula
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Nov 2011, 6:09 pm

I've had schizophrenia for 15 years.

You are obsessing over having it, but it doesn't sound like you have it.

Fixate on something else, no offense, because it's not useful for you to keep thinking you have schizophrenia.

From personal experience: if you have schizophrenia, doctors, nurses, and everybody else would say you have it, not just you. You would be out of control and suffering a lot.

Lizerina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Nov 2011, 11:39 pm

opula wrote:
I've had schizophrenia for 15 years.

You are obsessing over having it, but it doesn't sound like you have it.

Fixate on something else, no offense, because it's not useful for you to keep thinking you have schizophrenia.

From personal experience: if you have schizophrenia, doctors, nurses, and everybody else would say you have it, not just you. You would be out of control and suffering a lot.

I agree with the middle two lines, but I'm gonna have to disagree with that last line. I was the only one who thought I had schizophrenia for a while. It was from my convincing that we sought a diagnosis of some sort. Not to mention, just because someone has schizophrenia, doesn't mean that he/she would be "out of control and suffering a lot." There is a spectrum for schizophrenia. Some function fine while others do not. It depends on the person and the severity of the case.

I've had schizophrenia since I was 11, but I've always functioned fine. Sure there have been low times where my functioning was below average, but not by much and very rarely.

opula
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Nov 2011, 5:09 am

I agree with you, I also self-diagnosed. But I was not officially diagnosed until I had been suffering for years, even though I felt something was wrong.

In a lot of cases, though, people have anosognia, they do not realize they are ill, and end up very unwell in hospitals before they are medicated. Even then, they may not agree they have schizophrenia.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 12:55 pm

Lately, I've been disagreeing with the idea that I have schizophrenia because I'm a perfectly rational person. It's everyone else who just isn't on the same ultra high plane of reality, where the goddesses and gods interact and I get to share knowledge with them that humanity is too fragile to handle. See, I think autism is more far likely because of facial-expression and tonality differences that probably existed since birth, and schizophrenia tends to develop in otherwise perfectly normal neurotypical people. I'm obviously a perfectly rational person because my sentences don't jump around at all and words my jumbled don't get.

Lizerina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Nov 2011, 2:38 pm

opula wrote:
In a lot of cases, though, people have anosognia, they do not realize they are ill, and end up very unwell in hospitals before they are medicated. Even then, they may not agree they have schizophrenia.

That actually doesn't happen very often. Most people with schizophrenia live perfectly functional lives.

swbluto wrote:
Lately, I've been disagreeing with the idea that I have schizophrenia because I'm a perfectly rational person. It's everyone else who just isn't on the same ultra high plane of reality, where the goddesses and gods interact and I get to share knowledge with them that humanity is too fragile to handle. See, I think autism is more far likely because of facial-expression and tonality differences that probably existed since birth, and schizophrenia tends to develop in otherwise perfectly normal neurotypical people. I'm obviously a perfectly rational person because my sentences don't jump around at all and words my jumbled don't get.

The belief that people with schizophrenia aren't rational is a misconception. People with schizophrenia are generally pretty rational and logical most of the time. It's only when one goes into a psychotic state that he becomes irrational and illogical. In fact, I am a highly logical person. Much more logical that most of my friends and stuff. You should google schizophrenia myths and learn more about it.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 6:08 pm

Lizerina wrote:
opula wrote:

That actually doesn't happen very often. Most people with schizophrenia live perfectly functional lives.

swbluto wrote:

The belief that people with schizophrenia aren't rational is a misconception. People with schizophrenia are generally pretty rational and logical most of the time. It's only when one goes into a psychotic state that he becomes irrational and illogical. In fact, I am a highly logical person. Much more logical that most of my friends and stuff. You should google schizophrenia myths and learn more about it.

When you were younger, did you have speech therapy? I noticed that you used the word "stuff" as a way of representing "everything else" in your language usage, which is what I was basically reprimanded for when I was younger in speech therapy, and I notice that I have trouble with spontaneously generating simple sentences with the right word order sometimes. I'm kind of wondering if these characteristics are associated with schizophrenia... (Maybe something like a light version of 'formal thought disorder'?)

Lizerina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Nov 2011, 11:10 pm

swbluto wrote:
When you were younger, did you have speech therapy? I noticed that you used the word "stuff" as a way of representing "everything else" in your language usage, which is what I was basically reprimanded for when I was younger in speech therapy, and I notice that I have trouble with spontaneously generating simple sentences with the right word order sometimes. I'm kind of wondering if these characteristics are associated with schizophrenia... (Maybe something like a light version of 'formal thought disorder'?)

No. Why would I have had speech therapy?

And you're kind of contradicting yourself. You said your words don't get jumbled and then you say that you have trouble with the right word order. I seriously believe you're obsessing over this. No one on the internet can tell you whether or not you have something. If you're serious about this, go to a doctor!

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 12:56 am

Schizophrenia is just a natural part of the universe. It's how quantum physics works.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 1:12 am

Lizerina wrote:
swbluto wrote:

No. Why would I have had speech therapy?

Just curious if there's any association between speech therapy (Or early language development "issues") and getting schizophrenia later on, so I was checking it out.

Quote:
And you're kind of contradicting yourself. You said your words don't get jumbled and then you say that you have trouble with the right word order.

The part about it not getting jumbled was a joke (I actually reversed the order of two words earlier in the post if you look enough), and I originally said "words my jumbled don't get". See how that's jumbled? ;)

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 3:23 am

Got my memory scores back and it seems my memory scores are relatively good (They averaged at the 70th percentile), but there were two pretty low scores and they were "Design II" and "Logical Memory II" which are both longterm memory subtests and they were at the 10th and 25th percentile respectively. The "Logical memory" test is a "Recall the story I told you" test. Also, interestingly, I scored "Low Average" on the BCSE (Brief Cognitive State Exam) which is a measure for alzheimers, dementia, etc.; I'm *supposed* to get an "average" score, not "low average", especially not with my IQ of 132. -_-

This seems to suggest possible longterm verbal memory deficits. So, I looked into the schizophrenic research and, lo and behold, verbal memory deficits are one of the chief impairments in schizoprenia. Most of the research seemed to center around the CVLT and this meta-analysis is pretty informative:

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/article ... urnalID=13

So, I just need to take the CVLT and I'll have the evidence I need. I think I'll try to find a psych, to administer it, on Monday.

Lizerina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Dec 2011, 4:31 pm

swbluto wrote:
Just curious if there's any association between speech therapy (Or early language development "issues") and getting schizophrenia later on, so I was checking it out.

I don't really know of any. I was a late talker, but we figure that's mainly just because I'm the youngest of four and all I had to do if I wanted something was point at it and someone would give it to me. Haha

swbluto wrote:
The part about it not getting jumbled was a joke (I actually reversed the order of two words earlier in the post if you look enough), and I originally said "words my jumbled don't get". See how that's jumbled? ;)

I know it was a joke. But you say that your words don't get jumbled and then in your next post you say that they do. See how you're contradicting yourself?

swbluto wrote:
Got my memory scores back and it seems my memory scores are relatively good (They averaged at the 70th percentile), but there were two pretty low scores and they were "Design II" and "Logical Memory II" which are both longterm memory subtests and they were at the 10th and 25th percentile respectively. The "Logical memory" test is a "Recall the story I told you" test. Also, interestingly, I scored "Low Average" on the BCSE (Brief Cognitive State Exam) which is a measure for alzheimers, dementia, etc.; I'm *supposed* to get an "average" score, not "low average", especially not with my IQ of 132. -_-

This seems to suggest possible longterm verbal memory deficits. So, I looked into the schizophrenic research and, lo and behold, verbal memory deficits are one of the chief impairments in schizoprenia. Most of the research seemed to center around the CVLT and this meta-analysis is pretty informative:

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/article ... urnalID=13

So, I just need to take the CVLT and I'll have the evidence I need. I think I'll try to find a psych, to administer it, on Monday.

Where did you take these tests? If they were on the internet, they're probably not very reliable. You shouldn't believe most of these tests. If you're really serious about this and you actually want to know, go see a doctor!

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 6:25 pm

I once spent months obsessively looking up stuff on schizophrenia because I was worried that I was developing it. When I spoke to my psychiatrist about it he chuckled and said "No I don't think you have that".

I could be wrong but I doubt schizophrenia is your problem either.