Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dp0p
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jun 2012, 9:30 pm

a girl in my vision (i guess special ed) class said she has a slow brain,
curiouse as i am about such matter i imediatly checked all the medical sites i knew.
i found very little and what i did find has led my to beleive that it could be misdiagnosed mid functioning autism, this would explain the small number diagnosed cases of mid functioning autism and the lack of diagnosed autistic females, of course this is a skeleton of a theory and ive done little reasearch.
so put simply tell me about this 'slow brain'.
thanks in advance, Dp0p

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 9:39 pm

Maybe she processes things slowly. I'm pretty slow at things myself.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 11:45 pm

I agree with LostGirl1986. I do tend to take longer to mentally process input and output. It makes me feel like the rest of the world is on a faster time track. It is not a low IQ issue, but just slow processing. My IQ is in the high average range, but that doesn't help much when everyone else is already half way around the track while you are still at the starting gate.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 3:49 am

Well, I would imagine that a slow brain is one that does not do things as fast as a normal brain.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 3:04 am

The slow brain just might be a highly active brain running to much to deal the unimportant trivial thing like school. instead running pie beyond the 60 decimal mark or prim beyond the 100 decimal mark. :shrug:

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 4:33 am

Sounds like a processing speed issue to me as well. It is not a lack of intelligence. It just takes a little longer for your brain to process what you are seeing/hearing. Several people have commented that I seem to really think about my answers in a conversation. In fact it is just taking me longer to process input.

For me personally it is only a major problem in group conversations. By the time I have figured out it is my turn to speak it is too late and someone else has started speaking. A while back I visited a friend and he had a group of his friends there. I probably only spoke 3 or 4 times that evening because I was just far enough out of sync to be unable join in.

Rhiannon0828
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jun 2012, 9:14 am

Dp0p wrote:
curiouse as i am about such matter i imediatly checked all the medical sites i knew.
i found very little and what i did find has led my to beleive that it could be misdiagnosed mid functioning autism, this would explain the small number diagnosed cases of mid functioning autism and the lack of diagnosed autistic females, of course this is a skeleton of a theory and ive done little reasearch.
thanks in advance, Dp0p

She may have what is being referred to as Sluggish Cognitive Tempo (SCT). SCT is still very much in the research stage; it's not yet a DSM dx. But a growing number of researchers and other medical professionals think that it explains a lot of what had been attributed to ADHD-PI, but was really far different or even the opposite of how ADHD presents. It has symptoms that many people here have; it may very well be another "spectrum cousin". There's a fair amount of information about it on the internet.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 9:16 am

I have central auditory processing problems which means I process things slowly and I can only take in one thing at a time. I have to really concentrate on something if I was to process the information.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 9:20 am

I'm a slow thinker but it's sort of like a racecar vs a tractor; a tractor will never win a Nascar race but its power in terms of tractive force is immense relative to a racecar, which has feeble tractive force.

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 11:54 am

edgewaters wrote:
I'm a slow thinker but it's sort of like a racecar vs a tractor; a tractor will never win a Nascar race but its power in terms of tractive force is immense relative to a racecar, which has feeble tractive force.
LOL. I use a similar analogy - a big diesel engine vs petrol(gas). The diesel takes it's time getting up to speed but it has plenty of power once it does. Petrols rev much quicker but don't always have the steady power.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 11:02 pm

RazorEddie wrote:
edgewaters wrote:
LOL. I use a similar analogy - a big diesel engine vs petrol(gas). The diesel takes it's time getting up to speed but it has plenty of power once it does. Petrols rev much quicker but don't always have the steady power.

I read a similar one somewhere about the Aspergers mind; "My mind is like a train. It takes time to get it up to speed, but once it's racing nothing can stop it in its tracks. Unfortunatly it results in it being hard to change tracks at those speeds, and it takes time to slow down enough to change tracks."

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Jun 2012, 11:20 pm

Maybe she meant slow as another word for retorted as an insult or that she doesn't learn things as well as others do. I've been called slow a lot because of my Aspie issues & problems learning due to dyslexia

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 11:50 am

It seems to take me longer to process things mentally than most people, and yes it's certainly been noticed by others...not everyone is very understanding about it though.

phyrehawke
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jul 2012, 9:29 am

We have recently found I have something like this going on. I think it was always like that and an injury made it worse. The more I have to concentrate over to think to compensate to interact with the world the slower my brain runs. My IQ is high, I just process slowly. I can figure out some very complex puzzles and patterns if given enough quiet time. I recently read an analogy that this type brain is like a shower with a slow drain, lol. Easily overwhelmed, needs extra time to process information before more is fed in, also may have trouble filtering minor info so it just overwhelms more. I am well into adulthood and now know if I could pay attention and now I am zoning out it is time for a break to catch up on processing or I will end up with a headache if I keep forcing myself to focus when I am already overwhelmed. So the zoning out is something to watch for as a sign a break is needed. Those of us with this have to learn to pace ourselves.

Blondstrom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jul 2012, 11:41 am

That's how I used to describe myself. Slow, or itchy brain because I think too much, too fast and it "itches" but things don't happen as fast as I would like. It's not an actual medical term, I just don't know how else to explain it.

cavendish
Raven
Raven

03 Jul 2012, 4:48 pm

Dp0p wrote:
thanks in advance, Dp0p

It is quite possible that having a slow brain may be a simple matter of introversion. I was fifty when, several years ago, I read the book, The Introvert Advantage, and learned that introverts are different neurologically than other people. They process information slower, but actually deeper than do the extraverts. For ten years, I have been a member of an online support group for introverts, and a common theme is that we far from being quick thinkers, and therefore write much better than we speak.