Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

KillerWaffles
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jul 2012, 11:00 pm

When I'm with people especially people I don't know I feel extremely nervous, and I start having odd thoughts. Say I'm with a woman that showing too much cleavage, I instantly freak out mentally and think I'm going to grab at her. Or if I see someone I think about disturbing things I could do to them, like chopping their head off, or worse. These thoughts make me not want to be around people. If I actually get to know someone then these thoughts will appear even more frequently, and they will repeat inside my head at the strangest times. Also sometimes when I'm with people I feel like I'm about to explode and start screaming obscenities at them, even if they haven't made me mad. I never act on these thoughts, but I hate having them. Anyone else here feel this way, how can I get rid of it?

WhiteWidow
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 11:26 pm

Yeah man. Just know that, you know the truth. You know yourself, and you know you have control because you haven't done any of those things yet. I feel the exact same way. I talk to myself about everything inside my head, or construct visuals. But I think that this is normal. I don't know about the chopping of the head thing though, I do think about what people say, but it's hard to process it when they expect an answer to their illogical rhetoric - so I wouldn't feel bad about anything, because you know yourself what's going on and that's all that matters.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 1:43 am

It can be normal...to a degree. If you can't shake the thoughts or they become unbearable, it would probably be a manifestation of OCD and is treatable.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

LadybugS
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jul 2012, 8:37 am

I was going to ask if you are in treatment. It would probably help to speak to a professional about these thoughts! I'm sorry that you go through these things.

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough... God knows we're worth it"

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 2:39 pm

KillerWaffles wrote:
When I'm with people especially people I don't know I feel extremely nervous, and I start having odd thoughts. Say I'm with a woman that showing too much cleavage, I instantly freak out mentally and think I'm going to grab at her. Or if I see someone I think about disturbing things I could do to them, like chopping their head off, or worse. These thoughts make me not want to be around people. If I actually get to know someone then these thoughts will appear even more frequently, and they will repeat inside my head at the strangest times. Also sometimes when I'm with people I feel like I'm about to explode and start screaming obscenities at them, even if they haven't made me mad. I never act on these thoughts, but I hate having them. Anyone else here feel this way, how can I get rid of it?

I've had this happen to me as well and it's usually attributed to my OCD. There is a therapy called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy that is especially helpful in treating these intrusive thoughts. Take care.

SpazzDog
Raven
Raven

13 Jul 2012, 1:04 pm

That reminds me of the biography I read "Against Medical Advice". The kid the story is about had a bad case of torette's and OCD. One of the symptoms was an inexplicable need to grab at people in the oddest places. But never a need to do harm. I sometimes look at people and get the urge to do something inappropriate because thinking about what would happen makes me laugh. But I would never act on those feelings and I have no urge to do that either.

To deal with your symptoms have you considered meditation? It's hard at first, especially if you have any of the conditions in the spectrum of this forum. But it's honestly the best treatment since it calms the mind. These are all conditions of a hyperstimulated mind.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 1:57 pm

SpazzDog wrote:
To deal with your symptoms have you considered meditation? These are all conditions of a hyperstimulated mind.

I have both OCD and AS. My brain never stops thinking. It is hyperstimulated to the extreme. I could never meditate, even if I wanted to. The only time I have zero thoughts is when I'm really tired. But on nights when I'm NOT tired and I try to go to sleep, my brain just keeps going and going, and it takes a good while for it to shut off and enter sleep mode.

Nash: Is there a difference?

SpazzDog
Raven
Raven

13 Jul 2012, 4:29 pm

That's the reason why I recommended it. Because your mind doesn't stop. But the more you practice calming your mind the easier it gets over time.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

15 Jul 2012, 12:45 am

It could be an OCD thing KillerWaffles. I've had obsessive thoughts like that as a teen due to OCD. I quot having those thoughts when my OCD changed gears after I got computer & net when I graduated high-school & I became obsessed with that. My OCD changed gears alot sense then too

OddDuckNash99 wrote:
SpazzDog wrote:
To deal with your symptoms have you considered meditation? These are all conditions of a hyperstimulated mind.

I have both OCD and AS. My brain never stops thinking. It is hyperstimulated to the extreme. I could never meditate, even if I wanted to. The only time I have zero thoughts is when I'm really tired. But on nights when I'm NOT tired and I try to go to sleep, my brain just keeps going and going, and it takes a good while for it to shut off and enter sleep mode.

Have you been on any meds for it like Benzopines? Benzos which are the old-school anxiety meds are sometimes called tranquilizers because they have an affect of slowing the nerves & mind down. Activan is taken at bedtime by some to help them. sleep.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Zinia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jul 2012, 12:49 am

kirayng wrote:
KillerWaffles wrote:

I've had this happen to me as well and it's usually attributed to my OCD. There is a therapy called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy that is especially helpful in treating these intrusive thoughts. Take care.

I have the same kinds of thoughts. I would assume they are intrusive thoughts too.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 11:39 pm

KillerWaffles wrote:

These sound like OCD related intrusive thoughts.

Circle989898
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 7:27 pm

Sounds like OCD. I do the same thing.

Jenibear
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Oct 2012, 3:32 am

I do this too. The only way I've found to combat it, is to try and think of something else right away. Basically anything that will distract you from thinking inappropriately.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 5:14 pm

I do this. It's like OCD, only I don't have the rituals to make the bad thoughts go away.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 9:32 am

puddingmouse wrote:
I do this. It's like OCD, only I don't have the rituals to make the bad thoughts go away.

You don't do ANYTHING in response to a bad thought? Not even something in your head? Having true obsessions without any form of compulsion whatsoever is very rare. For "pure obsessionals" (such as myself), the name is a bit of a misnomer, because the vast majority DO have compulsions. They just are mental compulsions and aren't visible to others or quickly identified as stereotypical OCD rituals.

Mental rituals can take many forms, and they often are just as bizarre, embarrassing, and superstitious as the pure obsessions themselves. Common mental rituals that I do are mentally reviewing and checking an event/conversation to make sure I didn't do something "bad," using a "counterimage" to turn a "bad" image into a "good" image, and mentally reciting prayers. Also, I often get snippets of songs stuck in my head as background noise (to an OCD level, not what is commonly experienced by people), and if the song won't quit, sometimes, I mentally imagine the side of my head being hit with a cartoon-like mallet to "beat" the song out. While I envision the mallet, I also try to make the song slow down like an old record stopping. Sometimes, it works to get rid of the song. Sometimes, it doesn't. But there's a detailed description of a type of OCD mental compulsion that never gets described in the media.

And to answer nick007's question, I am on OCD medication. I'm on Anafranil. Benzodiazepines only help me with severe panic attacks/breakdowns. Anafranil is the only medication that has ever worked for my OCD. It has been a Godsend.

Nash: Is there a difference?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 1:59 pm

I have sometimes self-harmed, so that counts as compulsive behaviour.